7 polices hurt in Baltimore riots

I am alone driving from work since my hubby works in VA. I will just take the long route home again because it gets me on the highway instead of going through the streets of the city which cuts my commute in half. For now, I will just sacrifice that for my safety until things calm down around here.

I am sure the police and National Guard are around ..just not on every corner. Maybe I will see them after I get off work today.

People here at my work are upset because several of them live in the neighborhoods where the riots happened. I live just outside of the city but I learned that a small riot happened blocks away from my house after we went to bed with a crowd throwing rocks at cops. They all got arrested but wow....just a lot of tension around here.

Wicked....keep your six, always..

Wicked....keep your six, always..

Yesterday, about a block from my work there was an incident. I still dont know what happened but the whole street was taped off and there were police, fire trucks, and armored vehicles on the street. I saw some of the National Guard standing around with their guns. It was a sight to see!

I just drove on but it was hard getting through because there were so many people on the streets trying to see what happened and some residents were helping us, drivers, navigate out safetly. That was really sweet of them.

Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury..

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

For some, such injuries have been inflicted by what is known as a "rough ride" — an "unsanctioned technique" in which police vans are driven to cause "injury or pain" to unbuckled, handcuffed detainees, former city police officer Charles J. Key testified as an expert five years ago in a lawsuit over Johnson's subsequent death.

As daily protests continue in the streets of Baltimore, authorities are trying to determine how Gray was injured, and their focus is on the 30-minute van ride that followed his arrest. "It's clear what happened, happened inside the van," Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said Monday at a news conference.

Christine Abbott, a 27-year-old assistant librarian at the Johns Hopkins University, is suing city officers in federal court, alleging that she got such a ride in 2012. According to the suit, officers cuffed Abbott's hands behind her back, threw her into a police van, left her unbuckled and "maniacally drove" her to the Northern District police station, "tossing [her] around the interior of the police van."

"They were braking really short so that I would slam against the wall, and they were taking really wide, fast turns," Abbott said in an interview that mirrored allegations in her lawsuit. "I couldn't brace myself. I was terrified."

The lawsuit states she suffered unspecified injuries from the arrest and the ride.

"You feel like a piece of cargo," she added. "You don't feel human."

The van's driver stated in a deposition that Abbott was not buckled into her seat belt, but the officers have denied driving recklessly.

Police officials have not directly linked Gray's van ride to his injuries but did say that he was not buckled in, as required by department policy. Medical experts say Gray could have injured his spine when he was arrested and that injury could have worsened in the van through even an inadvertent bump, turn or stop.

Read more

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...d-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

Yesterday, about a block from my work there was an incident. I still dont know what happened but the whole street was taped off and there were police, fire trucks, and armored vehicles on the street. I saw some of the National Guard standing around with their guns. It was a sight to see!

I just drove on but it was hard getting through because there were so many people on the streets trying to see what happened and some residents were helping us, drivers, navigate out safetly. That was really sweet of them.

good to keep away...and drive by...good locals helped with navigating...
How is your safety st school? Have you noticed sny difference since the riots regsrds to hiur safety? Or is it reery calm?
Always trust your gut shell.
Keep six..

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury..

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

For some, such injuries have been inflicted by what is known as a "rough ride" — an "unsanctioned technique" in which police vans are driven to cause "injury or pain" to unbuckled, handcuffed detainees, former city police officer Charles J. Key testified as an expert five years ago in a lawsuit over Johnson's subsequent death.

As daily protests continue in the streets of Baltimore, authorities are trying to determine how Gray was injured, and their focus is on the 30-minute van ride that followed his arrest. "It's clear what happened, happened inside the van," Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said Monday at a news conference.

Christine Abbott, a 27-year-old assistant librarian at the Johns Hopkins University, is suing city officers in federal court, alleging that she got such a ride in 2012. According to the suit, officers cuffed Abbott's hands behind her back, threw her into a police van, left her unbuckled and "maniacally drove" her to the Northern District police station, "tossing [her] around the interior of the police van."

"They were braking really short so that I would slam against the wall, and they were taking really wide, fast turns," Abbott said in an interview that mirrored allegations in her lawsuit. "I couldn't brace myself. I was terrified."

The lawsuit states she suffered unspecified injuries from the arrest and the ride.

"You feel like a piece of cargo," she added. "You don't feel human."

The van's driver stated in a deposition that Abbott was not buckled into her seat belt, but the officers have denied driving recklessly.

Police officials have not directly linked Gray's van ride to his injuries but did say that he was not buckled in, as required by department policy. Medical experts say Gray could have injured his spine when he was arrested and that injury could have worsened in the van through even an inadvertent bump, turn or stop.

Read more

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...d-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

Its so common. Its almsot a given when your tossed in a wagon it will happen to you. Even in cansda. Its a cop entertainment thing..it also csuses fights amongst the cons on the ride, snd thst csrries over to the range
I found.the best way to handle it is to sit down On floor if alone. But it only helps so much its just about where you want to get the bruises thas all...just like when they best you and yoU crawl to a corner and then to another, its just making them spend more time dragging you then hitting you....its about straegy and the blows....it comes.from experience...newbies dont know the game...but if your already plms with body then you can.easiky come out dead...as happened with freddy...It depends.how your cuffed. It sucks when your cuffed.and bieng kicked and having to.fight the con besjde you tossed around in back with you due to cops entertainment....
Ive never gotten too hurt by the ride .but my head is thicker then.concrete soo

Did this man have a broken neck severed from his spine when he was arrested by the Police?

if yoU claim he did then how was he walking around selling.crack?
And was he sellinfg crack?
Selling.crsck is not a.reason to break a mans nefk nkr even a rewson to ignore his pleas for help while he is in custody...
He was arrested, his neck was broken, his pleas for help where iGnored,
The police.dont even.contest these facts..
So agAin
What reason.did freedy give to be killed in police custody?

I have no earthly idea if the police were responsible or not. I do know that he was arrested for selling crack. I also do know he had spine surgery a week and a half before his arrest.

I also don't know if the other guy who was riding in the van with Freddy suffered any injuries.

Oh, that's why cops broke his neck?

How about cops breaking child molesters' necks? None.

Your posts mostly make no sense.

Ok, if you are going to accuse the police of breaking his neck, maybe you know something I don't know.

Where is the proof the police were responsible for breaking Freddy's neck? I would absolutely love to see it.

Ok, if you are going to accuse the police of breaking his neck, maybe you know something I don't know.

Where is the proof the police were responsible for breaking Freddy's neck? I would absolutely love to see it.
I replied because you said that he was selling crack (replying to Hoichi's question). Look at post #72 by Reba.

At least you should reply to his question by saying "I don't know if it's true that his neck was broken but he was arrested for selling crack" or something like that to avoid misunderstandings. Know what I am saying? However, if you actually mean that he deserved a broken neck because he was selling crack, SMH.

He was not arrested for selling he was arrested for running . He was in an area where drugs are sold and when the police came for something that had nothing to do with him he ran. By law they have the right to chase him under suspension. The video that was removed showed the officer kick him in the neck after he was on the ground. The kick broke his voice box and then caused him not to be able to breath. The officer then put his knee on the back of his neck and cause spinal injury. The medical examination showed that if he was properly secured in the van and if they called an ambulance like it says in their protocol, for anyone in custody and is injured or ask for medical attention, his life could have been saved. That county already had a reputation for driving in a way that can harm a prisoner. Once someone is in the custody of an officer they are the officers responsibility.

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

The proof is in the medical report.

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

good to keep away...and drive by...good locals helped with navigating...
How is your safety st school? Have you noticed sny difference since the riots regsrds to hiur safety? Or is it reery calm?
Always trust your gut shell.
Keep six..

My school is a separate special ed school for all the Baltimore high school kids with severe congnitive disabilities. Most of our students function at 5 years old or below. I teach the deaf class. The kids have no clue on what's happening. However, the some of the staff are showing the effects like my aide, for one. She lives in the areas that are close to where the riots happened and then the protests. She cant sleep at night because she hears the helicopters, screaming, chanting, yelling, and sirens. Yesterday, she was really in a bad mood from stress and lack of sleep. Oh boy...

The leaks from the media about the investigation is not helping at all. I just want to get the final report out and be done with it. Worried that if they find the police not accountable , it will get ugly. Even if the facts are there that the police didn't cause this, it wont matter to the residents of Baltimore. They definitely will see it as a cover up. If the police are found accountable and no changes are made with the system, then I am sure it can be a cause for another riot.

I had posted that Baltimore Sun article already. Here is another one about nickel rides http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-rough-ride-and-police-culture/391538/

They happen in Chicago, NYC, Philly and I'm sure there are other cities. It has an extremely long history and it constitutes torture in terms of what is done.

The Baltimore police are stupid enough to claim that Freddie Gray did this to himself. http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...ents-insane-explanation-why-freddie-gray-dead

This injury is not an injury someone can do to themselves. It requires a great deal of force, like car accident levels of force, and hitting your chin down on something. The guy who shared the wagon has come out stating that he never said that Freddie did it and that it's just the cops saying it.

:ty:for putting up those articles, Eater of Worlds, I just read that first one-

. . . The guy who shared the wagon has come out stating that he never said that Freddie did it and that it's just the cops saying it.
Speaking of the guy who shared the wagon ride--did he sustain any injuries from the ride?

Speaking of the guy who shared the wagon ride--did he sustain any injuries from the ride?

Of course not. I'm assuming he was buckled in. They couldn't actually see each other. It's like the cops punished Freddie because they knew that he'd not get any charges against him.

Of course not. I'm assuming he was buckled in. They couldn't actually see each other. It's like the cops punished Freddie because they knew that he'd not get any charges against him.
But do we know that the other guy was buckled in? :dunno:

Back