Would you live in a mobile home?

Moving out of state is not an option for me.

Why? Your job is teacher so it is mobile job in all states, however I think it could be your husband.

I'm recognizing your grammar that similar to girls that who said I KNOW at basketball game in deaf school, j/k. :lol:

My parents own a prefab/mobile home. They don't go down in price. My parents have been investing money into it to the point where it's the same value as a "real home."

I would like to own one of these:

Z-Glass from the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company:

11840_1151820007734_1594656448_30370721_6458515_n.jpg

Tumbleweed Z-Glass

Been on my wishlist for about a year and half.

Why? Your job is teacher so it is mobile job in all states, however I think it could be your husband.

I'm recognizing your grammar that similar to girls that who said I KNOW at basketball game in deaf school, j/k. :lol:

Because she likes the fact MD got a strong deaf community and it's close America's biggest deaf-populated areas.

Sorry, I will never want live in Mobile homes.

Sure that regular homes values do plummet in some areas, but not all areas. I own house, and did appreciate the value since I bought it 8 years ago and has not plummet yet. That is because I was being very conservative when comes to buy homes. I do not want to buy homes that is doing "fly by night", and I would not buy homes that appreciates value too fast in short time... too much risk. I also did research on long term appreciation before I bought my house.

Only limited number of mobile homes do appreciate the value over time, the one I know is in California, over the sunset beach. That place, if bought 30 years ago would be around 100K now it worth 1 to 2 million dollars.

Other disadvantage with mobile homes is that it can not use regular mortgage, and higher insurance premium that many not realize that. Also, depending on insurance policy, many will not offer full replacement value, would only offer actual value instead which can hurt in the end. The actual value means that at the moment of loss, Insurance would only pay the market value. What does it mean is that suppose a buyer bought Mobile home for 75 thousand dollars, 10 years later, that mobile home worth 50 thousand dollars and burnt down completely, then Insurance will pay out up to 50 thousand dollars not 75 thousands dollars minus any deductions, remaining balance on loan which can leave you just few thousand dollars and nothing left. Scary! Comparing to my house which has full replacement value meaning that if my house burnt down and can be rebuilt exact what it even if the cost exceeding the market value minus deductible.

Of course mobile homes has its advantages, it is cheap, fast and easily ready to move in. It is like you will get what you pay for.

First of all, my ex-hubby lives here and I would have to go to court to fight to take my daughter out of state. I dont want my daughter to be separate from her dad.

Second of all, my hubby wouldnt be able to find a job as good as the one he has now.

Third of all, why would I move somewhere where there is no family nearby? If I am going to move out of state, I would move to AZ or just stay in MD. We have family in both states.

Lastly, I love the culture in MD. Not just Deaf culture but everything here. I am a big city girl.

I know of a mobile home park in Santa Barbara, CA that is a 5 star place and it actually goes up in value/cost because of its desirability alone. Very ritzy place.

Edited to add: Yeah, what DHB said....

Last edited:
Yes that place, I read in news about this area back then and I just can't believe. I think it is because of oceanview which add to the value. I know for sure any properties that is oceanfront will surely appreciate and rarely go down.

I know of a mobile home park in Santa Barbara, CA that are 5 star places and they actually go up in value/cost because of their desirability alone. Very ritzy places.

Edited to add: Yeah, what DHB said....

Yes that place, I read in news about this area back then and I just can't believe. I think it is because of oceanview which add to the value. I know for sure any properties that is oceanfront will surely appreciate and rarely go down.

Yeah, plus a lot of the owners therein are connected to Hollywood in different ways AND the owner is/was the guy who played in the TV series "Davey Crockett" years ago....trying to remember his name.....

I wouldn't mind a mobile home but there are too many tornadoes here for my comfort. Tornadoes and mobile homes don't mix well.

house or mobile?

Affordability and good quality is a hard combination to beat. A lot of houses have a lot of troubles. Bad foundations, asbestos, old piping it just goes on and on. A lot of new high priced homes are built with poor materials yet you still pay the big price. Plus you can buy a piece of land and have a mobile on it in a flash where a house o goddam you do this and you have to do that. I have been in some really nice mobile homes. Comfort and space all the way. Me I have to build that is just the way it is, but if I wasn't me I would jump on an easier way. People who throw stones should have to live in glass houses - somethng like that.

These small homes would be perfect for single people that don't want to rent, in the long run owning a home is cheaper than renting. With renting, the monthly payment never ends, with a house payment, once it's paid off, it's paid off and it's yours. Although I don't recommend house ownership to someone that moves often. Home ownership to me is something you do once you find a place to settle down in and plan to stay there for 30+ years. I've heard of people who moved to a place, stayed there for 30 years, bought a house, then renovated it and made money off the house when it came time to sell, then moved back to their hometowns to retire comfortably.

A house is a place to live yes, but you also have to treat it like an investment if you decide to sell it in the future if your living circumstances change.

If I finish my degree and end up getting a job around here, I may purchase a mobile home to go on the hill where my parent's trailer used to be.

There is a mobile home manufacturer here in Arkansas that can make mobile homes that look like cabins and once they get it set up, if you want a garage, they will send out a crew to build a garage to attach to the mobile home, once all finished it looks more like a small house rather than a mobile home.

Amen! I'm not the sort who'd move around very often. I tend to stay in one place for many years. I'd never be able to afford a house like my parents and Besides, I've preferred small houses since my teens. A big house is a lot of work. Maintaince, especially if you're ocd about keeping everything clean, is an endless job.

If I were to move around a lot I'd pick a moblie home. I notice Clayton homes is a best seller in Lynchburg and it's also a best seller in Charlotte, NC.

Right now I can't afford a home due to medical bills. :(

My parents own a prefab/mobile home. They don't go down in price. My parents have been investing money into it to the point where it's the same value as a "real home."

I would like to own one of these:

Z-Glass from the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company:

11840_1151820007734_1594656448_30370721_6458515_n.jpg

Tumbleweed Z-Glass

Been on my wishlist for about a year and half.

I think we have the same tastes in houses. :D

Yeah... I also want a house with minimal walls. I don't care if it's big or small... no full walls. If there must be one, I prefer it only to come up to my torso at the most. I was jealous of a girl I knew because she was in a two-bedroom apartment that only had walls that go up to your torso.

Annoying when people are trying to talk to you, but there's a wall between the two of you. -_-

Wow! That's interesting... Well, it is not my type. I don't know what would happen if there will be more house development surround that trailer which mean that it might be no more left privacy because of the giant windows. I bet that it has a lot of star energy.
I have the feeling that rats and mices live under the mobile home due no basement. It looks a little bit out of style, but not quite that bad.

Personally, I'd prefer as few walls as possible and lots of windows but I also like privacy as well. I am not wild about torso height walls. I like to think I'm a minimalist at heart despite hoarding tendencies. I've been working hard to keep clutter down in my living room and kitchen.

Oh gee! Clutters and hoards are big problem... I hate that.

I was a house insurance inspector and visited so many houses. Older homes have many walls and "dark" rooms. Newer houses have a fewer walls. I didn't think of that. My house does not have good light because the way my house designs. Someday, I will search a house with better lights and a fewer walls - that would be so wonderful. I would buy many orchids in my new house, and I hope that the rooms will be colorful friendly environment.

souggy I like that idea

The more open the better but that torso high walls I like that. Cool! Thankyou

Would you could you in a box????? Would you, could you......

I love open concept. When I was buolding I ofter used half walls on stairways and lofts. Created I nice look. I am minimalist in design. Never hoard....I take stuff to Goodwill almost every month.....If I don't use it or where it, it's gone

Plus some people just flat out cannot afford an actual house, but yet do not like living an apartment. A mobile home is a compromise that some people find worthwhile until they can afford an actual house.

No, I would not! A mobile home is like a car , it lose it valule real fast! I use to work at trail parks as a health aid , and I could not wait to get out of there!

Back