So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Will you like to talk to me that way if we are in the same room?

I hope to some day, and then I wouldn't have to watch my spelling :)

Honestly, half the time I'm around deaf folks, I'm wondering if any are the people I interact with online. I think most of the nastiness online is because people don't behave as if they were face to face with the people they are writing to, or about. Although, I do suspect some of us are as annoying in person as online :nana:.

Life is looking up! There are at least 4 people in this thread who would humor me in my preferred mode of communication. Grendel, of course you would need to watch spelling.

I am just as annoying in real life.

I text people in the same room everyday.:giggle:

Me, too -- in every meeting :). Have you ever heard of boardroom bingo? Where someone in the group texts out randomized lists of the typical words or phrases you hear in presentations, or if it's a presenter you all know -- their favorite overused phrases, and everybody participating in the meetings check them off as they are uttered. If you get them all (Bingo), you have to stand up and make a comment, weaving in some predetermined phrase into the comment, so everyone will know you completed the list. The phrases are usually off the wall, so it's pretty hard to do it without looking like a complete goon.

And I take what you say with a grain of salt as well. It would kill your job and you are clearly concerned about what will happen to your community and language if kids don't learn ASL.

Are you actually saying that ASL has no downsides? If ASL is a child's first language, ALL reading and testing will forever be in their second language. That can't possibly be part of the problem?? What about the fact that kids who don't hear have trouble with phonemic awareness (rhyming and the such), that couldn't be part of the issue either? How about the fact that since there are SO MANY English words that do not have exact ASL translations, so the vocabulary of ASL and English are very different (Sign for coat, jacket, hoodie, windbreaker, pullover, etc). Could that be a problem? Nah, it is only oralism....

I believe some deaf people would use abbreviation for little kids to use if they can't spell it out in ASL.. or sign it conceptually sign ASL is visual and not english. And I asked about rhyming before, so if you want to know, read this: To the fireflies by John Carlin : Education of deaf children: Evidence ... - Google Books

and ASL will evolve. afterall we did have a sign language for computers now.

Life is looking up! There are at least 4 people in this thread who would humor me in my preferred mode of communication. Grendel, of course you would need to watch spelling.

I am just as annoying in real life.

:aw: punctuation, too, I suppose?

I believe some deaf people would use abbreviation for little kids to use if they can't spell it out in ASL.. or sign it conceptually sign ASL is visual and not an english word. And I asked about rhyming before, so if you want to know, read this: To the fireflies by John Carlin : Education of deaf children: Evidence ... - Google Books

and ASL will evolve. afterall we did have a sign language for computers now.

Computers is a good one, but why does every board book have to have an aardvark in it? Does ANYONE know that sign?

I think you can absolutely tell a brilliant story in ASL. The difficulty I have is in telling the story as written, developing the same vocabulary, so that upon reading the story herself, my daughter will make the connection between the very specific word she knows as a concept and the written word on the page. If she knows seafoam as X (how would you sign that?), there's no connection with the written word on the page.

And I take what you say with a grain of salt as well. It would kill your job and you are clearly concerned about what will happen to your community and language if kids don't learn ASL.

Are you actually saying that ASL has no downsides? If ASL is a child's first language, ALL reading and testing will forever be in their second language. That can't possibly be part of the problem?? What about the fact that kids who don't hear have trouble with phonemic awareness (rhyming and the such), that couldn't be part of the issue either? How about the fact that since there are SO MANY English words that do not have exact ASL translations, so the vocabulary of ASL and English are very different (Sign for coat, jacket, hoodie, windbreaker, pullover, etc). Could that be a problem? Nah, it is only oralism....

First: My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing.

Second: You want to talk about transliteration? We're talking about translating. Big difference.

I dont give a double flying fk about "rhyming" who cares?

I can sign coat, jacket, hoodie, wind breaker, pull over, sweater,... All of these words actually have their own signed translation. If you are saying there is not a proper translation for these words... you had a sucky asl teacher. and by sucky i mean horrendous

Computers is a good one, but why does every board book have to have an aardvark in it? Does ANYONE know that sign?

I think you can absolutely tell a brilliant story in ASL. The difficulty I have is in telling the story as written, developing the same vocabulary, so that upon reading the story herself, my daughter will make the connection between the very specific word she knows as a concept and the written word on the page. If she knows seafoam as X (how would you sign that?), there's no connection with the written word on the page.

I would sign the definition of Seafoam (or conceptually) and she'll get it. all it matters is if she is visualizing the right thing.

And ASL doesn't reject some spelling, PFH, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back