So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should be obvious. If the hearing loss is so minimal that not much (if any) outside help is needed, then it's not what we're discussing. It would be a moot point. You're looking for something to nitpick because you're not being told what you want to hear on this forum. I think it's fairly obvious that when we refer to children with hearing losses that should be educated in a deaf school or have all access to language including ASL, we are discussing those who need to have that.

The educational experience that's right for each child is not a slam dunk answer: a deaf residential school with ASL is not right for every deaf child but may be perfect for one in particular, or for many. A bi-bi school may be wrong for one deaf child, but may fit another child to a T. An aural or oral education may be perfect for one child, dead wrong for another. And so on, and so on. And the different educational experiences may be right at different times for an individual child: my child may be thriving in a bi-bi environment, and yet, in 2 years, we may find that she is suffering, in the wrong place, that services or needs have changed.

Every parent has the right and the responsibility to find the right educational environment for his or her child. You have a very valid experience of your own to impart, and I, for one, want to know what you have encountered. But you can't possibly think that you have any deep knowledge of FJ's child or of my child and what her needs are, and unless you have spent a considerable amount of time with our children -- live -- you really can't possibly have enough information on which to base a recommendation.

just to make SURE everyone is on the clear on what I am talking about...

Education - good for anyone. Whatever works great.

BUT.. I want the kids to be socially happy in life. I've seen WAYYYYY too many unhappy intelligent orals. Even the delayed ASL deafies are much happier.

high 5 for you. why the hardon then?

As I have said before, I am here to discuss the things that everyone tends to think are a "given". I think too often this place becomes "anti-parent" and "let's all pat each other on the backs because we "get it" and no one else does"...

No one has responded to my theories about issues that lead to reading trouble....

BUT.. I want the kids to be socially happy in life. I've seen WAYYYYY too many unhappy intelligent orals. Even the delayed ASL deafies are much happier.

Great. I will be happy when we all just carry small computers and are linked that way.

But that is probably not happening. So I will just keep on trying to be friendly, while crying inside.

The educational experience that's right for each child is not a slam dunk answer: a deaf residential school with ASL is not right for every deaf child but may be perfect for one in particular, or for many. A bi-bi school may be wrong for one deaf child, but may fit another child to a T. An aural or oral education may be perfect for one child, dead wrong for another. And so on, and so on. And the different educational experiences may be right at different times for an individual child: my child may be thriving in a bi-bi environment, and yet, in 2 years, we may find that she is suffering, in the wrong place, that services or needs have changed.

Every parent has the right and the responsibility to find the right educational environment for his or her child. You have a very valid experience of your own to impart, and I, for one, want to know what you have encountered. But you can't possibly think that you have any deep knowledge of FJ's child or of my child and what her needs are, and unless you have spent a considerable amount of time with our children -- live -- you really can't possibly have enough information on which to base a recommendation.

Absolutely. I, and many others, are not saying to apply textbook examples or stats to your own children. I'm a big fan of "one size DOES NOT fit all." Each of us have had unique experiences, however, many of us have had that discounted as of late within various threads here. And, my latest responses here have said that we have been discussing who needs this type of access and not to group us as a whole. Again, the one size does not fit all. :)

Happy as a kid = happy as an adult?

Great. I will be happy when we all just carry small computers and are linked that way.

But that is probably not happening. So I will just keep on trying to be friendly, while crying inside.

hey, ASL or not, we are still here and are using the computer :)

Oh, that is sad when a person is not happy, even if you are trying to be friendly on the inside, but on the outside, hearing people think that you are happy being in the Oral-Only method if there were no accommodations to help you understand what everything being said. That is what suffering is all about. :(

As I have said before, I am here to discuss the things that everyone tends to think are a "given". I think too often this place becomes "anti-parent" and "let's all pat each other on the backs because we "get it" and no one else does"...

No one has responded to my theories about issues that lead to reading trouble...

Several people including myself have. You haven't acknowledged them.

Botti, I am with you on the computer too. I will be sad with you and hope that maybe we could both feel better together:aw:

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
What about my post is audist?

600,000 Deaf ASL users in the US. 33 million people with hearing loss.

Again, I have to throw this in. 4.5 million under the age of 65.

1/4th of the entire non-senior DHH population isn't as grim of a statistic as 1/33 of an entire hearing loss demographic.

I'm too addicted to computers to stop, even if i did have the right communication.

I'm too addicted to computers to stop, even if i did have the right communication.

too many people use facebook, farmville, google, postsecrets, adultfriendfinder, etc...

so yea yer not the only one that is addicted to computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back