So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy these oral people are doing well educationally. Are they doing well spiritually??? Show me the research on that.

In case you haven't noticed... Many people come on here that are oral are having issues. They are stuck in between worlds. I could easily show you threads, but since they are still on top pages of forums in here... I dont need to.

pandaundercover for starter

I am the ONLY person who can make the choices for my child. Sorry that I am hearing, but there isn't a damn thing that I or the other 95% of parents can do about it. Do we need to have our children taken away and re-homed to Deaf people because we "haven't lived it"?

OR, can we be trusted to make loving, informed decisions for OUR children (not your children) even if we disagree with you?

Not with the medical view from the medical field like that one thread, for example, about that SLP telling hearing parents misinformation about ASL and deaf people.

If they keep looking at deaf people from the outside surface like how well they speak or anything related to hearing loss... yeah, their opinion don't matter to me.

That isn't close to what I said, so read again. :roll:

I have discussed with these people their views on the subject of deaf education, not judged them based on their speech, get over yourself.

I am the ONLY person who can make the choices for my child. Sorry that I am hearing, but there isn't a damn thing that I or the other 95% of parents can do about it. Do we need to have our children taken away and re-homed to Deaf people because we "haven't lived it"?

OR, can we be trusted to make loving, informed decisions for OUR children (not your children) even if we disagree with you?

You seem to know what to do for your child and things seem to be going fine for ya'all so why continue to argue with us? :)

That is a very audist statement that you made. You have a weird way of telling us that you want every d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to go into the hearing world and communicate orally with hearing people 24/7 which we are not comfortable. You are just a hearing person who does not know nothing about our deafness and the suffering we all had to endured. You are way off base. :mad:

What about my post is audist?

600,000 Deaf ASL users in the US. 33 million people with hearing loss.

What about my post is audist?

600,000 Deaf ASL users in the US. 33 million people with hearing loss.

33 million people with hearing loss = mostly who? old farts?

Many of the millions of people with hearing loss that do not participate in the Deaf community are merely hard of hearing. They are counted for demographic purposes. If they have just a minimal loss, which many of them do, much of what we have been discussing does NOT count. This demographic needs to be thrown out of the equation when interpreting/understanding test results, "reports", and so forth. It is the real-life experiences of those who struggle with oralism, mainstreaming, and lipreading that matter, and those experiences are trivialized when compared to "the millions of deaf out there." Our lives are what they are, and no stats change that.

Many of the millions of people with hearing loss that do not participate in the Deaf community are merely hard of hearing. They are counted for demographic purposes. If they have just a minimal loss, which many of them do, much of what we have been discussing does NOT count. This demographic needs to be thrown out of the equation when interpreting/understanding test results, "reports", and so forth. It is the real-life experiences of those who struggle with oralism, mainstreaming, and lipreading that matter, and those experiences are trivialized when compared to "the millions of deaf out there." Our lives are what they are, and no stats change that.

I agree with you. :gpost: :gpost: Right on, AlleyCat! :thumb:

:gpost:

to AlleyCat - *rimshot*

30c9ai9.png

BUT, there are people non this very forum that said that ANY child with a hearing loss should be educated in a Deaf school because they do not have equal access to spoken language. Where is the line? 20db? 30? Does the db matter at all? Where is the line between being hoh and deaf enough?

And that is the whole point! The Deaf community does not represent the entirety of deaf people. There are millions of people with hearing loss that do NOT participate in the Deaf community. They live among hearing people, consider themselves a part of the hearing community, not the Deaf community. Again, if you take into account only the perspective of those active in the Deaf community, you have a skewed demographic.

A lot of deaf people or hoh people are part of the hearing community because they don't know anything else They may not have been exposed, or told, or even heard of anything else. I was in that bracket until I was in my 30's - 40's.

BUT, there are people non this very forum that said that ANY child with a hearing loss should be educated in a Deaf school because they do not have equal access to spoken language. Where is the line? 20db? 30? Does the db matter at all? Where is the line between being hoh and deaf enough?

That should be obvious. If the hearing loss is so minimal that not much (if any) outside help is needed, then it's not what we're discussing. It would be a moot point. You're looking for something to nitpick because you're not being told what you want to hear on this forum. I think it's fairly obvious that when we refer to children with hearing losses that should be educated in a deaf school or have all access to language including ASL, we are discussing those who need to have that.

That should be obvious. If the hearing loss is so minimal that not much (if any) outside help is needed, then it's not what we're discussing. It would be a moot point. You're looking for something to nitpick because you're not being told what you want to hear on this forum. I think it's fairly obvious that when we refer to children with hearing losses that should be educated in a deaf school or have all access to language including ASL, we are discussing those who need to have that.

It isn't obvious because kids with CI's can hear within the "normal" range. My daughter for example can hear and understand speech at 15 db. That would be considered "normal hearing". And kids are hearing that well starting at 6-12 months old.

It is anything but obvious...

It isn't obvious because kids with CI's can hear within the "normal" range. My daughter for example can hear and understand speech at 15 db. That would be considered "normal hearing". And kids are hearing that well starting at 6-12 months old.

It is anything but obvious...

high 5 for you. why the hardon then?

Hey y'all!

What are we fighting about again? I forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back