So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In google I typed oxford journals implanted teens study and came up with this...
Cochlear Implants: The Young People's Perspective ? J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ

If it is not what you are looking for, keep googling with different keywords.

This study says that all the teens asked for the interviews to be done is spoken language or spoken language with sign support. It says that BSL interpretation was available but none of the requested it. :hmm:

It also said that the teens rated their hearing benefit, on a scale of 1 to 5, and average of 4.4.

And NONE in the group were resentful that their parents made the choice for them.

It also said that 69% said that spoken language was their prefered method of communication but many of them could sign but even the ones who sign also speak and say that the implant helps them communicate.

It was an interesting read. Thanks Beowulf!

Yep. I supplied more than should be expected.:lol: In fact, the name of the publication is all I would have given a student. That should be sufficient for finding the article if you apply a bit of reason. The years would naturally have been recent, given that the early implantees have just recently reached teen years. The key words were rather obvious as well.

This isn't school and I'm not your student. If you want to share what you believe the study sayss, you should be willing to share the study.

I meet a lot more oral deafies than ASL-deafies. The latter I prefer... not so socially inept.

PFH's method of communicating with the hearing world by using only ASL is working... the actual ASL users emerge more often.

I wish everyone would know that deafness is a social handicap, not a physical one you can fix medically.

This isn't school and I'm not your student. If you want to share what you believe the study sayss, you should be willing to share the study.

It isn't my private property to share. It is available to any member of the public that wishes to access it.
What you are asking is that I tell you how to access it. While this isn't school, it is definately a request to assist you in learning a skill.

BTW...did you notice the sponsoring organization? See any cause to suspect bias?

Found this one

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/3/283.abstract

The reading comprehension and visual word recognition in 50 deaf children and adolescents with at least 3 years of cochlear implant (CI) use were evaluated. Their skills were contrasted with reference data of 500 deaf children without CIs. The reading comprehension level in children with CIs was expected to surpass that in deaf children without implants, partly via improved visual word recognition. Reading comprehension scores of children with implants were significantly better than those of deaf children without implants, although the performance in implant users was substantially lagging behind that in hearing children. Visual word recognition was better in children with CIs than in children without implants, in secondary education only. No difference in visual word recognition was found between the children with CIs and the hearing children, whereas the deaf children without implants showed a slightly poorer performance. The difference in reading comprehension performance of the deaf children with and without CIs remained present when visual word recognition was controlled for. This indicates that other reading-related skills were also contributing to the improved reading comprehension skills of deaf children with CIs.

Wirelessly posted

And that explains why parents are accused for not choose to put CIs on their kids as abusive parents.

Oh, yay. :roll:

Reading Comprehension of Deaf Children With Cochlear Implants ? J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ

The reading comprehension and visual word recognition in 50 deaf children and adolescents with at least 3 years of cochlear implant (CI) use were evaluated. Their skills were contrasted with reference data of 500 deaf children without CIs. The reading comprehension level in children with CIs was expected to surpass that in deaf children without implants, partly via improved visual word recognition. Reading comprehension scores of children with implants were significantly better than those of deaf children without implants, although the performance in implant users was substantially lagging behind that in hearing children. Visual word recognition was better in children with CIs than in children without implants, in secondary education only. No difference in visual word recognition was found between the children with CIs and the hearing children, whereas the deaf children without implants showed a slightly poorer performance. The difference in reading comprehension performance of the deaf children with and without CIs remained present when visual word recognition was controlled for. This indicates that other reading-related skills were also contributing to the improved reading comprehension skills of deaf children with CIs.

Sorry, but this appears to be an abstract. One needs to read the methods section to properly evaluate the study. This one was too small. Cannot be generalized to the whole population of students using CIs. And limitations were noted in what you posted.

Gee, FF...you mean you aren't isolated to just contact with other Deaf people? You really get out and have contact with hearies?:giggle:

LOL, I have a deaf employees in the different dept in my building, and do see my deaf friends after work. My work is working with hearing co workers. eh.

Wirelessly posted

And that explains why parents are accused for not choose to put CIs on their kids as abusive parents.

Oh, yay. :roll:

Yep. They selectively read the research and then make unrealistic judgements.

Wirelessly posted

Yep... I'm so sick of seeing someones like that.

So whatever.

Hardly enough to do a study that could generalize. Population is too small. Likewise, Oxford Journals published a study of 15, I believe it was, deaf teens that had been implanted since age 2-4. The study found that the teens that were the highest functioning academically and socially were those that used both ASL and spoken language.

I realize that I'm setting myself up for a whole lot of mocking and disparaging commentary by asking a question on this forum, but I'm not clear on what you are saying here. Do you see these results (those teens who used both ASL and spoken language performing well, both academically and socially) as invalid bc of the small a sample size and methodology, or is this a study you find to be valid? Obviously as a proponent of both ASL and spoken language, I'd like to see studies that back up the findings I encounter directly, but I'm not certain if you're giving this one a stamp of approval or dismissing it as biased.

Keep in mind that the CI's of nowadays does provide better hearing than hearing aids of the past or even in the present.
HIissues, I was not talking about HA for severe/profound kids. I meant HAs for the ENTIRE dhh pediatric population! And even with CI, there are still severe or profound kids who use HA! I KNOW that the CI has gotten really good. But the majority of kids with it are functionally hoh.
FJ, you missed something
although the performance in implant users was substantially lagging behind that in hearing children.
Meaning implantees are doing better, but still not as good as hearing kids. THAT is what you're missing. While there are implantees that are doing a lot better then in the past, they're still lagging behind hearing kids!!!!

although the performance in implant users was substantially lagging behind that in hearing children.

I picked up on that as well. I think that very quote says quite a lot.

Grendel, you didn't answer my question. Is TLC getting a lot of kids in later grades? That does not really surprise me seeing how it is BEYOND common for kids with disablities to do well early on, and then need more intense help. I remember Shel mentioning that her school recently got a bunch of kids as transfers who had not known ASL before. (and not nessarily oral failures) I think that will be a HUGE thing in dhh ed....kids may transfer to Deaf Schools/programs after trying to hack it in the mainstream....and hopefully a lot of deaf schools will become hoh friendly. I think many parents are unaware that Deaf Schools/programs could really help their hoh kids. We have some parents in the forum who sent their hoh kids(one hearing aids, one CI) to formal dhh programs after "solotaire" mainstreaming....they really can't believe how good the formal programs are.
Also, a parent here mentioned to me that she is in an Early Intervention class. She is near both an oral program and WSPD. She said that the parents of HOH (!) kids are looking at WPSD and the parents of the deafer kids are looking at the oral program.
Also, does anyone know if orally educated kids have on par verbal IQs? Verbal IQ measures mastery of spoken language, much better then a study sponsored by a biased organization.
And FJ, you are pretty much extrapolarating oral abilty with overall life acheivement.
Yes, there are some twentysomethings who are implanted who are doing decently.....BUT, there were kids like that in the 60's /70's and 80's. And I mean.....I can pretty much guarentee that those twentysomethings and teens are the ones who rave about how hearing and speaking is SO empowering......but yet at the same time they have a poor social life, hate noisy parties can't function too well in a crowd and are always complaining about the disadvantages of being oral deaf! :hmm:

Grendel, you didn't answer my question. Is TLC getting a lot of kids in later grades? That does not really surprise me seeing how it is BEYOND common for kids with disablities to do well early on, and then need more intense help. I remember Shel mentioning that her school recently got a bunch of kids as transfers who had not known ASL before. (and not nessarily oral failures) I think that will be a HUGE thing in dhh ed....kids may transfer to Deaf Schools/programs after trying to hack it in the mainstream....and hopefully a lot of deaf schools will become hoh friendly. I think many parents are unaware that Deaf Schools/programs could really help their hoh kids. We have some parents in the forum who sent their hoh kids(one hearing aids, one CI) to formal dhh programs after "solotaire" mainstreaming....they really can't believe how good the formal programs are.
Also, a parent here mentioned to me that she is in an Early Intervention class. She is near both an oral program and WSPD. She said that the parents of HOH (!) kids are looking at WPSD and the parents of the deafer kids are looking at the oral program.
Also, does anyone know if orally educated kids have on par verbal IQs? Verbal IQ measures mastery of spoken language, much better then a study sponsored by a biased organization.
And FJ, you are pretty much extrapolarating oral abilty with overall life acheivement.
Yes, there are some twentysomethings who are implanted who are doing decently.....BUT, there were kids like that in the 60's /70's and 80's. And I mean.....I can pretty much guarentee that those twentysomethings and teens are the ones who rave about how hearing and speaking is SO empowering......but yet at the same time they have a poor social life, hate noisy parties can't function too well in a crowd and are always complaining about the disadvantages of being oral deaf! :hmm:

My daughter's school for the Deaf has not had any transfers of oral kids (even in the higher grades) for 5 years we have been involved with the school. (There are only 50 kids in the whole school. It's easy to notice :giggle:)

Sigh......faire joure .... That is b/c it is prolly well known that your program is voice off with very minimal speech therapy. Meaning just for voice off Deaf kids. In other words it is a very specialized program. If your program was more established and had more resources and more approaches available I am positive you'd see a lot of transfers.

Sigh......faire joure .... That is b/c it is prolly well known that your program is voice off with very minimal speech therapy. Meaning just for voice off Deaf kids. In other words it is a very specialized program. If your program was more established and had more resources and more approaches available I am positive you'd see a lot of transfers.

It is the only signing program in the entire state. It is the only ASL part of the 110 year old State school for the Deaf. Where else would they be going?

Mod note:

Time to give this thread a break and to allow cool off period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back