So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter continually corrects my hand placement.

oops, nope, thought initially you were referring to 'reject some spelling' as in correcting spelling errors, rather than allowing fingerspelling. :Oops:

oops, nope, thought initially you were referring to 'reject some spelling' as in correcting spelling errors, rather than allowing fingerspelling. :Oops:

That's alright....

What are you referring to??

Nothing much; I was itching for a while to say that spelling comes in handy to make a distinction between some things...either earlier here or on another thread, someone was saying ASL can't express as equally as English can....

Last edited:
Nothing much; I was itching for a while that spelling comes in handy to make a distinction between some things...either earlier here or on another thread, someone was saying ASL can't express as equally as English can....

This is confusing for me because someone corrected someone else because they used the sign for "interrupt" by signing "stop" with an "i". The deaf person said that it was SEE not ASL. Interrupt should have been signed as "stop" normally, and the meaning is still conveyed.

So............

This is confusing for me because someone corrected someone else because they used the sign for "interrupt" by signing "stop" with an "i". The deaf person said that it was SEE not ASL. Interrupt should have been signed as "stop" normally, and the meaning is still conveyed.

So............

I agree. Using the alphabet within signs is outdated. I would have used "stopped" as well - especially because it's taken in context within the sentence.

So............
"bother" "Interfer" all simliar signs.

So............

Yeah, that was a SEE sign. Not important but "interrupt" isn't really in the "stop" position but it is close; the hand coming down in the "chopped" position is higher up...like in between the thumb and the first index finger....the other hand is tilted toward your body....looks similar to "stop" but there's that subtle difference.

Yeah, that was a SEE sign. Not important but "interrupt" isn't really in the "stop" position but it is close; the hand coming down in the "chopped" position is higher up...like in between the thumb and the first index finger....the other hand is tilted toward your body....looks similar to "stop" but there's that subtle difference.

better description. im lazy tonight

First: My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing.

Second: You want to talk about transliteration? We're talking about translating. Big difference.

I dont give a double flying fk about "rhyming" who cares?

I can sign coat, jacket, hoodie, wind breaker, pull over, sweater,... All of these words actually have their own signed translation. If you are saying there is not a proper translation for these words... you had a sucky asl teacher. and by sucky i mean horrendous

I mean exactly what Grendel said. Telling a story conceptually is great, the problem is that it doesn't line up to thee written word. How do you show the correlation?

I mean exactly what Grendel said. Telling a story conceptually is great, the problem is that it doesn't line up to thee written word. How do you show the correlation?

There are ways, including spelling.....

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
What about my post is audist?

600,000 Deaf ASL users in the US. 33 million people with hearing loss.

Again, I have to throw this in. 4.5 million under the age of 65.

1/4th of the entire non-senior DHH population isn't as grim of a statistic as 1/33 of an entire hearing loss demographic.

It isn't obvious because kids with CI's can hear within the "normal" range. My daughter for example can hear and understand speech at 15 db. That would be considered "normal hearing". And kids are hearing that well starting at 6-12 months old.

It is anything but obvious...

For the record, when I wear my CI, I can hear about 20 dbs with my CI but I do not hear like a hearing person. I can understand much more of what I can hear than I ever could with my HA.

That said, even with a CI, I am still a deaf person even when I hear with the CI. I can hear some sounds but I have no idea what it is and I lack an auditory vocabulary to describe the sounds that I hear but which I do not recognize. I'm much better with my visual vocabulary.

Nor do I have an easy time remembering what I hear and this is due to long term deafness. I have a poor auditory memory.

Some of your posts regarding your daughter's speech indicates to me she doesn't quite hear like a hearing person. I wonder how she copes in a noisy situation like a crowded restruant? :hmm:

It has been my observation that CIs won't prevent language delays if writing samples of the CI adults who were implanted as children are any example.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

1/4th of the entire non-senior DHH population isn't as grim of a statistic as 1/33 of an entire hearing loss demographic.

in what way? I see several perspectives.

Sorry for double post.

It seems to me lots of oralists and pro-CI folks like to make ASL-Deaf insignificant compared to implantees and oralists, when in actuality, most of those people are living in their own subculture-- the one designated for retired folks and are unlikely to interact with the signers or the young implantees.

So, being a signing deafie isn't as lonely as the people who sprout the 30+ million statistic sound like.

I'm happy these oral people are doing well educationally. Are they doing well spiritually??? Show me the research on that.

In case you haven't noticed... Many people come on here that are oral are having issues. They are stuck in between worlds. I could easily show you threads, but since they are still on top pages of forums in here... I dont need to.

see the bold sentences, it is to me that doe exist for deaf culture so that's what my thread is all about. So will there still exist for these deaf young children continue to doing well spiritually? less or more?

Why let a child struggle first? Why not expose these children to both? that why no child struggles and grow up as a deaf adult with confident and no language delays. They can decide whether to be involved with the Deaf community or not instead of hearing people deciding that for them.

CODA's first language is usually ASL and I haven't seen any literacy issues with them. They have been exposed to both. *shrugs*

That's how I see it hence my viewpoints.

I see... You have "seen" it..... but we have lived it.
As for the "we have lived it", that could also apply to those that took the "oral, auditory, lipreading and mainstreaming" route. So, it works both ways.

I'm happy these oral people are doing well educationally. Are they doing well spiritually??? Show me the research on that.
And all those living in the Deaf, ASL world are always happy and have none whatsoever problems in the world... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back