So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they keep looking at deaf people from the outside surface like how well they speak or anything related to hearing loss... yeah, their opinion don't matter to me.
In another word, it's only those that share your views whose opinion counts? I'm sorry but what country are you living in...?

I am the ONLY person who can make the choices for my child. Sorry that I am hearing, but there isn't a damn thing that I or the other 95% of parents can do about it. Do we need to have our children taken away and re-homed to Deaf people because we "haven't lived it"?

OR, can we be trusted to make loving, informed decisions for OUR children (not your children) even if we disagree with you?
That's okay faire_jour. I could speak for someone that used to be a "deaf child". And always consider myself to first and foremost belong to my parents, grandparents, ancestors, etc... I came from THEM and not from the deaf culture...

You seem to know what to do for your child and things seem to be going fine for ya'all so why continue to argue with us? :)
Or it could work both ways. That if you're so sure that the Deaf / ASL route is the right one to take there wouldn't be a need to continue to try to convince others to also take that route...

Many of the millions of people with hearing loss that do not participate in the Deaf community are merely hard of hearing. They are counted for demographic purposes. If they have just a minimal loss, which many of them do, much of what we have been discussing does NOT count. This demographic needs to be thrown out of the equation when interpreting/understanding test results, "reports", and so forth. It is the real-life experiences of those who struggle with oralism, mainstreaming, and lipreading that matter, and those experiences are trivialized when compared to "the millions of deaf out there." Our lives are what they are, and no stats change that.
As for "they are only hard of hearing", that could be misleading. Cause I've seen some deaf people who only sign that actually have better hearing than those that could communicate better orally and auditorily. How the child is raised could also play a factor.

A lot of deaf people or hoh people are part of the hearing community because they don't know anything else They may not have been exposed, or told, or even heard of anything else. I was in that bracket until I was in my 30's - 40's.
Yet, I've seen some deaf people that grew up in the hearing world. Then got more exposure to the deaf world as they got older (i.e. in college) whereas it was "new to them" at the time. But as time wore on, eventually also started finding the deaf world repressive or stifling and felt kind of rejuvenated going back to the hearing (i.e. or HOH) world cause it was bigger and so forth...

just to make SURE everyone is on the clear on what I am talking about...

Education - good for anyone. Whatever works great.

BUT.. I want the kids to be socially happy in life. I've seen WAYYYYY too many unhappy intelligent orals. Even the delayed ASL deafies are much happier.
Now you're the spokesperson for the oral deaf...? :roll:

First: My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing.

Second: You want to talk about transliteration? We're talking about translating. Big difference.

I dont give a double flying fk about "rhyming" who cares?

I can sign coat, jacket, hoodie, wind breaker, pull over, sweater,... All of these words actually have their own signed translation. If you are saying there is not a proper translation for these words... you had a sucky asl teacher. and by sucky i mean horrendous
To be really honest with you. I see some in this thread pointing to you as someone who supposedly grew up using ASL that has good English skills. Yet, I could easily spot grammar errors in some of your posts.

Cause you sometime write as "if you're signing..."

First, you should say "my first language was sign language" and not "signed language".

Secondly, I also believe the following needs to be corrected:

"My first language was sign language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing."

"and by sucky i mean horrendous"

Just to mention a few examples.

Wirelessly posted

Context is important, HH: it's ok to wear grammatical sweatpants when texting and commenting casually on a forum. There're only a handful of people here who've earned the right to tell posters to sit up straight and put that napkin back on our laps.

In another word, it's only those that share your views whose opinion counts? I'm sorry but what country are you living in...?

nope, if a hearing (or deaf) person don't care about the child's emotional well being, and only care about results, then their opinion don't matter to me. I won't put up with it. But most hearing people do care.

F_J asked "so hearing parents opinion don't count?" and I will tell her when it don't count.

btw, growing up oral only, I never heard of aardvark. This is the first time I heard of it.

I look it up, and I see it is an anteater. Still don't know how you suppose to pronounce it, but I acknowledge the word now.

Nothing much; I was itching for a while to say that spelling comes in handy to make a distinction between some things...either earlier here or on another thread, someone was saying ASL can't express as equally as English can....

Oh. You just meant you can fingerspell if you don't know the sign?

Wirelessly posted

HHIssues said:
First: My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing.

Second: You want to talk about transliteration? We're talking about translating. Big difference.

I dont give a double flying fk about "rhyming" who cares?

I can sign coat, jacket, hoodie, wind breaker, pull over, sweater,... All of these words actually have their own signed translation. If you are saying there is not a proper translation for these words... you had a sucky asl teacher. and by sucky i mean horrendous
To be really honest with you. I see some in this thread pointing to you as someone who supposedly grew up using ASL that has good English skills. Yet, I could easily spot grammar errors in some of your posts.

First, you should say "my first language was sign language" and not "signed language".

Be careful, you're not free of simple grammatical errors either, and nor am I.

Nobody is saying the Deaf/ASL is the only way. We are saying to give every child to opportunity to be exposed to both when they are young to minimize the risk for language delays and socio-emotional issues. As adults, they can decide whether they want to be involved in whichever world they want to be. That's what I am saying.

Many parents are saying it must be one or the other, not both. I guess I don't see why it has to be that way.

Nobody is saying the Deaf/ASL is the only way. We are saying to give every child to opportunity to be exposed to both when they are young to minimize the risk for language delays and socio-emotional issues. As adults, they can decide whether they want to be involved in whichever world they want to be. That's what I am saying.

Many parents are saying it must be one or the other, not both. I guess I don't see why it has to be that way.

Right! I think it can be one, the other, or both :) And of course I have my preference, but that's based on my child, my situation, right now.

"My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing. "

My turn to attempt

"My first language IS sign language" because it will always be his first language and nothing can change that. The word "was" seem to me that it used to be but no longer is. And who is hearing? as far as I know, he must have more than one brothers because of the plural "s" in brothers.

He's just one person. Besides if he's such a good role model then why does he have the word "hell" in his screename?

Believe it or not, I had it changed, and by demand and I dont take that lightly -- people requested me to change it back....

It is certainly fitting for my personality. I bring posts forward that people don't like. I am sure the dictionary definition of hell includes torment. In a way I am tormenting people with my posts.

I meant what I said. It wasn't "sign language" that I was exposed to. It was signed code for English. Not surprising that you couldn't tell the difference.

If you want to play this game, sure, lets do it.

Here:

• English is my 2nd language. I'm complimented by the fact that you are nitpicking it.
  • I'm happy that you are resorting to trying to devalue me by mildly shredding apart my grammatical skills. It shows that you have nothing else to offer.
  • And in this post I said I had "decent" English skills. I don't profess that I have English composing skills of Handel.

Anything else?

"My first language was signed language, so was my brothers. Hes hearing. "

My turn to attempt

"My first language IS sign language" because it will always be his first language and nothing can change that. The word "was" seem to me that it used to be but no longer is. And who is hearing? as far as I know, he must have more than one brothers because of the plural "s" in brothers.

i shoudl have said primary language but the first language i was exposed to was signed code of english which i obviously dont use anymore as far as my lone brother it was exposed to him as well yes he is hearing

sorry on a punctuation protest right now
:giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back