Pet Peeves

No, I don't. I had edited my post to make that clear, but probably you were posting at the same time that I was editing.

I was just saying that my guess is that where she was driving what happened wasn't quite as dangerous as most of you are picturing. Still not okay, just not as likely to cause an accident as you might think.

I've been out there in a snowdrift where it took two hours before another car came by.

JantheShort was talking about braking and speeding in front of other drivers deliberately, not about braking while she was all alone with nary another driver in sight for miles and miles.

Secondly, it still sounds like you're saying what she's doing is ok as long as it's done on a highway in a rural area.

The speed limit in the city can be anywhere between 25 to 60 km an hour - on the highway, it's 100 km or more, and the average Canadian driver goes about 110 to 120 km an hour on the highway therefore it's actually far more dangerous to play such games on the highway than in the city.

*SMH*

I thought so too, at first, but then I remembered that Jan is in Indiana. Have you ever driven in rural Indiana?
Yes. We drive thru IN on our route from SC to MI. Also, I used to do my annual Reserve drills at Fort Benjamin Harrison, outside of Indianapolis. My dad was born and raised on a farm in Indiana. :)

Yes. We drive thru IN on our route from SC to MI. Also, I used to do my annual Reserve drills at Fort Benjamin Harrison, outside of Indianapolis. My dad was born and raised on a farm in Indiana. :)

I have gone past Indianapolis several times, every time I past it think of the civilization at last... It's the first city on the interstate that has street lights at night for a stretch of miles. It's quite a relief seeing it. :)

Okay, let me just say again that the person who was trying to cut into the lane in front of me was playing the game in this situation. Yes, I played along... not the smartest thing, that's true. However, just to make this clear, he had ignored the "merge into the other lane" sign and was trying to bully his way in front of me. There was NO ONE behind him to be hit with the crate, because of course intelligent people had already merged back when they saw the sign. No family of small children... Not even a poor innocent puppy dog. No one was behind him.

And yes, I do live in indiana, and YES the game of slow-down-as-slow-as-possible-during-spurts-of-oncoming-traffic DOES only work on roads where you encounter strings of cars here and there when a car is going slow, but otherwise don't really have that much company. It would not work in a city.

Honestly, with the exception of my irritation at these two acts (selfish last-minute merge bullying, and tailgating) I am a very good and defensive driver. Very careful about other cars, very conscientious and nice. I let people turn into the lane in front of me when I see them stuck on a side road in slow traffic. I don't speed that much. I'm extremely careful in rain and snow. I don't text and drive. I call the police when I see someone driving drunk.

But I won't apologize for toying with tailgaters. They are risking my life, the lives of others (as well as their own) with their action, and I see no harm in reminding them of that fact.

Hey Alex,

I'm not sure what a deer has to do with toying with tailgaters... actually, if I do a brake check early, (brake check equals light tap on the brake... not hard enough for them to hit me, just hard enough to make them realize they might wanna rethink the tailgating) they will usually stop tailgating... so they wouldn't be too close behind me when I slam on my brakes to avoid the deer/dog/car.

And how don't you know me? I'm not deaf, jsut wanna learn ASL. I had a deaf friend in high school, her name was Michelle Elmore... do you know her?

And yeah, Indiana drivers really can't merge. LOL

Oh, and actually I'm closer to ISU than Purdue. GO SYCAMORES!

One of my pet peeves is probably me losing things and then not being able to remember where I last put it..

and not being able to memorize the music correctly, (i have accidently done that before..)

you ever been looking for something while your holding it? ahaha i do it every once in a while with my cell

you ever been looking for something while your holding it? ahaha i do it every once in a while with my cell

I spent 15mins looking for my glasses one day, finally asked my ex if she has seen them. Turns out I was wearing them the whole time. I thought she was going to die laughing!

i remember one time as a kid i went swimming with my implant then spent a good two hours looking for it after not realizing i never took it off. The thing was toast after that

Secondly, it still sounds like you're saying what she's doing is ok as long as it's done on a highway in a rural area.

*SMH*

No, it doesn't sound like that, because I specifically clarified that I am NOT saying it was okay.

Fort BH is far south, and much more populated. I am talking about northwestern In, and not Lafayette proper, either, but outside of Lafayette.

Again, and again, I wasn't saying saying it was okay, just that it's probably less dangerous in the example Jan gave, given where she probably was, than most people are picturing.

Cool about the farm- where was it?

I spent 15mins looking for my glasses one day, finally asked my ex if she has seen them. Turns out I was wearing them the whole time. I thought she was going to die laughing!

I once spend almost a hour looking for my reading glasses and asked my ex if he seem my reading glasses a number of times , he said "NO!" I finally gave my ex a good look and the fool was wearing MY reading glasses the whole time!! He told me "I wonder why I was having a hard time reading the newspaper, I thought I needed new reading glasses!"

Fort BH is far south, and much more populated. I am talking about northwestern In, and not Lafayette proper, either, but outside of Lafayette.

Again, and again, I wasn't saying saying it was okay, just that it's probably less dangerous in the example Jan gave, given where she probably was, than most people are picturing.

Cool about the farm- where was it?
Sheridan. It was a poor Depression era farm.

I had other family in the Fort Wayne area.

We drive from Charleston, SC, to Indianapolis, then on to Lansing, MI, so we pretty much traverse the length of the state.

I miss the fort. Sorry to see it close. :(

Fort BH is far south, and much more populated. I am talking about northwestern In, and not Lafayette proper, either, but outside of Lafayette. QUOTE]

Actually, I'm from the west central part of Indiana, close to the Illinios border. Home of... corn. And trees. And more corn.

Sheridan. It was a poor Depression era farm.

I had other family in the Fort Wayne area.

We drive from Charleston, SC, to Indianapolis, then on to Lansing, MI, so we pretty much traverse the length of the state.

I miss the fort. Sorry to see it close. :(

I-65 or 421?

When did the fort close? That's sad.

I-65 or 421?
I-65

When did the fort close? That's sad.

Yes, I miss it. I attended the DINFOS (Department of Defense Information School) Navy Journalist A School there for 10 weeks. Later, I also attended advanced two-week schools for photojournalism, feature writing, electronic media, and publications editor.

It was a beautiful and historic post. The golf course was a great place to take walks. Our dark rooms for the photo work used to be German POW cells.

They didn't have very nice barracks; very old and spartan. :lol:

It was a beautiful and historic post. The golf course was a great place to take walks. Our dark rooms for the photo work used to be German POW cells.

They didn't have very nice barracks; very old and spartan. :lol:

WOW are you talking about the actual fort in Fort Wayne? It was still in use so recently???

Back