Pet Peeves

Able-bodied people that park in the Handicap Spaces....I was at Burger King last week and 2 out of 3 spots were cars without a decal/sticker for parking there....The restaurant was quite packed that day.....I brought it to the atention of the Manager, and she acted like I had told her something from Out of space!....Got our order and sit by the window, watching to see whoever got back into the cars in the Handicap spot....finally the Manager went out there...took a look at the license plates...and went back to work....

Nothing was done!...Then this couple in their 30s to 40s went out and got into their car....So does it do any good to report anything?...People usually have a card hanging from their mirror to show they are Handicapped.....
yes. cop will mail them a ticket if the policy allows them to do along with pix proof. if not... well I guess your police department is lazy.

Another pet peeve: My husband mumbles, and when I ask him "what?" he explains whatever he was talking about, instead of just repeating what he said.

My family has picked up the "never mind" business again. It is so irritating.

Able-bodied people that park in the Handicap Spaces....I was at Burger King last week and 2 out of 3 spots were cars without a decal/sticker for parking there....The restaurant was quite packed that day.....I brought it to the atention of the Manager, and she acted like I had told her something from Out of space!....Got our order and sit by the window, watching to see whoever got back into the cars in the Handicap spot....finally the Manager went out there...took a look at the license plates...and went back to work....

Nothing was done!...Then this couple in their 30s to 40s went out and got into their car....So does it do any good to report anything?...People usually have a card hanging from their mirror to show they are Handicapped.....

I detest this too. And once, this guy got out of his big truck & caught my disapproving look and gave me the "What are you gonna do about it?" look back. So I called the police. Amazingly, when the cop finally showed up, he berated me for wasting his time for such stupid thing. (Sadly, this isn't the first time I've ran into lazy arse cops acting like this!)

Perhaps I should just take pix and publicly expose their misbehaving parking in the handicapped spots on a web page instead?

I detest this too. And once, this guy got out of his big truck & caught my disapproving look and gave me the "What are you gonna do about it?" look back. So I called the police. Amazingly, when the cop finally showed up, he berated me for wasting his time for such stupid thing. (Sadly, this isn't the first time I've ran into lazy arse cops acting like this!)

Perhaps I should just take pix and publicly expose their misbehaving parking in the handicapped spots on a web page instead?

Know the feeling. I was tempted to go back and tell the couple that they must be blind as not to see the spaces were for the Handicap and give them a piece of my mind......

But feel it's the business owner who should be responsible for calling the police. But my guess is that they don't want to lose business with customers, so they just keep their mouths zipped....People do get angry whenever you confront them about a traffic violation. Wish I did have a camera that day with me, tho'. I would have caught 2 people red-handed, with a $250.00 fine. Then again, would the Police do anything?....

Know the feeling. I was tempted to go back and tell the couple that they must be blind as not to see the spaces were for the Handicap and give them a piece of my mind......

But feel it's the business owner who should be responsible for calling the police. But my guess is that they don't want to lose business with customers, so they just keep their mouths zipped....People do get angry whenever you confront them about a traffic violation. Wish I did have a camera that day with me, tho'. I would have caught 2 people red-handed, with a $250.00 fine. Then again, would the Police do anything?....

We're eligible for the handicapped parking when our daughter who wears a leg brace is with us. She's also got CP,w hich makes her unsteady. Once we were at the mini-shoppette on base when the parking lot was icy, and the only handicapped space was taken up by a car with no tag. We parked, started walking in and my daughter slipped on the ice and fell. As I was helping her up, an able bodied young man came out to his car- parked in the handicapped space.

I told him that it was his fault my child had skinned her knee on the ice because he couldn't be bothered to walk a few extra feet, even though he had two good legs and was in great health. He did look embarrassed and he said he hadn't noticed it was the handicapped parking space.

I didn't believe him, but I hope he won't do it again.

The main reason why we have handicapped parking spaces in the parking lots is to ensure one's safety. That's why they have a picture of a person in a wheelchair as the symbol because they benefit the most from it. The fact that they sit in a wheelchair do put them at a much, much higher risk of being hit by a car. When you sit in a wheelchair, you are much shorter than a standing adult. So if you park in a non-handicapped parking space somewhere at the back of the parking lot, you are more likely to get hit by a car backing out of its parking space. They often don't see you in the rear mirror, especially if it's a SUV or pick-up truck.

People who park in handicapped parking spaces are selfish, self-entitled and lacking in compassion for the others.

This video is all about why one shouldn't park in the handicapped spot. It was actually shot at the Home Depot just a few blocks from my home. Learned a couple things from the video such as those in wheelchairs needing the extra space around their vehicle for their chairs when they exit the vehicle and the dangers of wheeling through parking lots where drivers backing up cannot see the person in their rear view windows which is why handicapped spots are closest to the store entrance, out of harm's way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9EYh_Tr_Sc]Just 2 Minutes (English subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

This video is all about why one shouldn't park in the handicapped spot. It was actually shot at the Home Depot just a few blocks from my home. Learned a couple things from the video such as those in wheelchairs needing the extra space around their vehicle for their chairs when they exit the vehicle and the dangers of wheeling through parking lots where drivers backing up cannot see the person in their rear view windows which is why handicapped spots are closest to the store entrance, out of harm's way.

Just 2 Minutes (English subtitles) - YouTube

Thank you, I was trying to find that particular video!

Every time I watch that video I jump at the end...

Around here, I have seen numerous wheelchairs with a long tall flag attached to their chair. It makes them more visible in the parking lot and other places. In my case, I park in the handicapped spot, but I'm not in a wheelchair yet. I use my rollator. I have been all kinds of names in the book for parking there and this is by the heart patients, or those with epilepsy or other unseen reasons for handicapped parking. Too many loopholes in the law that allows them.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

People who have poor lung and/or heart function cannot physically walk very far. It makes the person physically weak. I've had to use the electric scooter in the store for this reason. It's not that these people don't need the handicap parking permit but the city has too few handicapped designated parking spaces. For the record, I don't have a permit. I'm hoping that my health will improve so that I can walk and not ever need a scooter. Our city has cracked down on people that "borrow" a relative's permit. That helps some.

People who have poor lung and/or heart function cannot physically walk very far. It makes the person physically weak. I've had to use the electric scooter in the store for this reason. It's not that these people don't need the handicap parking permit but the city has too few handicapped designated parking spaces. For the record, I don't have a permit. I'm hoping that my health will improve so that I can walk and not ever need a scooter. Our city has cracked down on people that "borrow" a relative's permit. That helps some.

I don't think Kristina was saying the heart, etc patients shouldn't have use of the handicap parking. I think she's mad that they, with their unobvious reasons for a handicap, should not give her "the look" with her need for the space is obvious (her rollator).

I don't think Kristina was saying the heart, etc patients shouldn't have use of the handicap parking. I think she's mad that they, with their unobvious reasons for a handicap, should not give her "the look" with her need for the space is obvious (her rollator).

Right LoveBlue. That is what I was meaning. I do understand that others need them also and I agree that there is a major lack of them. I have been told that I am faking my walking issues because I am too young to have them. I have been told that I am not handicapped enough to warrant parking there and I have also been told that the spaces are only for people over the age of 60. It's really upsetting when both MIL and I get called down for using the space from a seemingly healthy person, who jumps out of their car and skips into the store. I am leaning heavily on my rollator dragging one foot since I can't pick it up, and MIL is leaning very heavily on her cane and can barely walk to begin with. The wheelchairs the stores have are not big enough for MIL and the scooters are 9 times out of 10, never charged.

Strange things happened to me on the roads very recently. On my way home, I had to move over b/c sheriff had emergency lights on,blarin his sirens. I moved over to the shoulder and still almost hit me. This happened around 2am. The sheriff didnt go around me, the sheriff vehicle was still in the same lane. The whiff shook the whole car. Im glad he didnt hit me because if he did, Im sure gas tank would rupture. Whew..scary..I wanted to complain about it. :mad: Fookin ASSHOLE!!! Next day or two, after I got my sub from subway in town, less than a mile to my home, a car passed me on double yellow lines. Fookin teenagers. I threw up my arms at them. The passenger waved at me like we're cool. Ya know...smh.

I remember I parked in handicapped space in broad daylight. Old guy threw a fit,yellin at me. I smirked at him and walked into the grocery store... :lol: I've matured and dont do it anymore. :) This happened 20 yrs ago.

Strange things happened to me on the roads very recently. On my way home, I had to move over b/c sheriff had emergency lights on,blarin his sirens. I moved over to the shoulder and still almost hit me. This happened around 2am. The sheriff didnt go around me, the sheriff vehicle was still in the same lane. The whiff shook the whole car. Im glad he didnt hit me because if he did, Im sure gas tank would rupture. Whew..scary..I wanted to complain about it. :mad: Fookin ASSHOLE!!! Next day or two, after I got my sub from subway in town, less than a mile to my home, a car passed me on double yellow lines. Fookin teenagers. I threw up my arms at them. The passenger waved at me like we're cool. Ya know...smh.

I remember I parked in handicapped space in broad daylight. Old guy threw a fit,yellin at me. I smirked at him and walked into the grocery store... :lol: I've matured and dont do it anymore. :) This happened 20 yrs ago.

Sounds like you matured a bit since then. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! :)

Back