It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

U said "The Deaf community"

that's applying to a whole community. Gotta say...some members in the Deaf community are like that then I would agree with you but to say the "Deaf community" I will disagree with you.

I am gonna be honest here and if it means I am critical, so be it because it is not right. Read my first post in this thread and I did say that there are some who are extremist in the Deaf community.

In real life people generalize too much, but I believe you know what I am saying. I feel you're nit-picking words that I didn't say because you want to argue about something. Yes, some in the Deaf Community as some people have come along to be open-minded. The thing is that I explained it. I didn't go along to be right.

No, it's not the same way because the real world is not like that. I can choose to say, "I am not working with hearing people because that's too limiting." Today, we can go to social groups just to be with others like us if we choose like this forum AllDeaf to share a common understanding.

This is about exposing children to both and the Deaf schools are a place for learning to get the kids ready for the "real" world. When it comes to places of learning, I believe that the kids should have full access to everything including social situations so they can learn how to develop effective interpersonal communication.

Interpersonal communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In an environment where language and communication is restrictive, it can be difficult for the deaf child to develop skills in that area.

In real life people generalize too much, but I believe you know what I am saying. I feel you're nit-picking words that I didn't say because you want to argue about something. Yes, some in the Deaf Community as some people have come along to be open-minded. The thing is that I explained it. I didn't go along to be right.

This is what the thread is about..."Is it really the deaf/Deaf community? "and by using those words, people may take you literally. I am being honest here...not nitpicking.

When parents or people say "The Deaf Community" did this or that then that is holding all of us responsible for a few people's actions and I dont agree to it.

At the Deaf school, we have kids from different ethnic backgrounds ..only difference is that they are all deaf but have different cultural experiences due to their ethnic backgrounds.

If going to a school where there are deaf kids is too limitiing then sending a hearing child to a school where there are only hearing kids should be limiting too.

See the reasoning...get what I am saying?

Yes I understand, but you're assuming that only hearing people go to "hearing schools". There was one other deaf child in my elementary school, plus a vision impaired child. I don't mean ethnic backgrounds, I mean ALL backgrounds including other kids with a disability. In fact, I would say that I was limited in terms of interacting with kids from a low income household since I went to an expensive private school. It was a wake up call when I went to college and realized that not everyone can afford to fly. Same concept.

This is about exposing children to both and the Deaf schools are a place for learning to get the kids ready for the "real" world. When it comes to places of learning, I believe that the kids should have full access to everything including social situations so they can learn how to develop effective interpersonal communication.

Interpersonal communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In an environment where language and communication is restrictive, it can be difficult for the deaf child to develop skills in that area.

I have been in a resource program that had hoh/deaf children in a hearing public school. They encouraged them to be with hearing kids. The goal was to mainstream them. Not a lot of districts have this program because it depends on how many deaf children are available to keep a program running.

You can't have hearing students in a deaf school because it's a deaf school.

What approach do you suggest to this?

I have been in a resource program that had hoh/deaf children in a hearing public school. They encouraged them to be with hearing kids. The goal was to mainstream them. Not a lot of districts have this program because it depends on how many deaf children are available to keep a program running.

You can't have hearing students in a deaf school because it's a deaf school.

What approach do you suggest to this?

Why are hearing kids the desired role models for deaf kids? I hang out with mostly deaf people and some of them are my role models just like some hearing people hang out with only hearing people..etc etc?

The kids are exposed to the hearing world, no question about that. My brother went to a Deaf school and in his 30s, he has had no problems working with hearing people. He was a painter for a painting company for 5 years and all workers were hearing.

Many of his deaf classmates have jobs working with hearing people..only a few have jobs working with deaf people or in ASL environments.

You ask a tough question Jillio. :)
Even though I do not have an implant just hearing aids I would like to answer. I got my hearing aids at age 5, this was in 1977. I am from a very small community so my parents were clueless about what to do when they found out I was hard of hearing. I think for the first two or three years they really were in denial and devestated knowing their child was not "normal." They worried for my future and wanted the best for me but didn't know how to get to that. I think I live in the "real" world. I am surrounded by hearing people. I have to converse with hearing people everyday. My job as a teacher requires me to teach students that have normal hearing. This is as real as it gets I believe. :giggle: Of course my "real" world may not be everyone else's "real" world so I understand that completely.

Perhaps it is the line of thought that the parents of CI children want their child to be set apart from the "deaf" community because all they really want is for their child to be "normal." They want their child to excel in the "real" world, their "real" world.
As I grew older my parents began to feel more at ease announcing my hearing loss to other people. As they began to be more comfortable I noticed so did I. Instead of wearing my hair long to cover my ears I would put it in a ponytail and did not shy away when anyone asked me what was in my ears. My parents had to learn to adapt just like I did. They had to learn to let their defenses down, they had to overcome their guilt that perhaps they had done something wrong in my infancy to cause my hearing loss, and they also had to adapt to the changes that they were seeing in me.

In a sense I guess my parents didn't want me to grow up in a deaf community because they felt so strongly that I could make it in the hearing community. They did not send me to a special school, I went to a regular public school all they way to highschool, and then I went to college just like everyone else. They did not have me learn ASL, I took a few courses in college so I know some signs and fingerspelling. They never looked into any other resources or programs for me because I excelled in public school. I was just like anyone else in school, home, any activities, so they continued to treat me as such. I never needed speech therapy or anything like that. My speech was/is perfect.

So I guess if I had had a terrible time learning or struggled in school maybe they would have searched out more for me but they didn't. I do not hold that against them, I know they loved me and only wanted what was best for me.

I am 37 now and still learning new things everyday that are out there for me. I just got my first FM system for my hearing aids and I am loving it! Can you believe it took that long for me to discover FM systems! I can finally hear music from my daughters IPod! :giggle: Now if only I could find the solution to my telephone problem! :P

Okay I am going off subject here...so my overall thoughts are that most parents only want what is best for their children. They think/believe that the CI set their children apart because they are hoping that now their children will be able to function in the "hearing" world. For some parents that is the goal of the CI so that their children will no longer be considered deaf.

I hope I was clear in what I am trying to say. I am still a bit new to this board and I love hanging out here and learning. This has been such an eye opening experience and maybe one day I too will be a candidate for a CI. :)

Yes I understand, but you're assuming that only hearing people go to "hearing schools". There was one other deaf child in my elementary school, plus a vision impaired child. I don't mean ethnic backgrounds, I mean ALL backgrounds including other kids with a disability. In fact, I would say that I was limited in terms of interacting with kids from a low income household since I went to an expensive private school. It was a wake up call when I went to college and realized that not everyone can afford to fly. Same concept.

I am talking about public schools...

Yes, there are a few hearing kids who do not go to "hearing" schools. My mistake for not making that clear. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Listen up with your ears or eyes. No matter.
Lol. More than likely your eyes, since you are reading this.

Anyhow. Deaf children should be exposed to the max.

Allow them the best of both worlds.

My parents did!

Believe me both sides has its pros and cons

It allowed me to experience both sides.

My parents did!

:gpost:

I am with u 100% of the way.

Why are hearing kids the desired role models for deaf kids? I hang out with mostly deaf people and some of them are my role models just like some hearing people hang out with only hearing people..etc etc?

It's not about being a role model. It's about being with everyday people. We can be a role model ourselves, too. Why should kids with disabilities be separated? What is deafness so different from other disabilities? Should all people with wheelchairs be with others who use a wheelchair? Should a few black people in a majority white school be transferred to a majority black school because of their culture background?

It's not about being a role model. It's about being with everyday people. We can be a role model ourselves, too. Why should kids with disabilities be separated? What is deafness so different from other disabilities? Should all people with wheelchairs be with others who use a wheelchair? Should a few black people in a majority white school be transferred to a majority black school because of their culture background?

It is about having shared language which is fully accessible to deaf children and in the public schools, too many deaf children are usually left out due to not having full access to language, communication, information, and etc.

That's why there are specific certifications and degrees targeted for Deaf education while certifications and degrees in Special Education covers the other needs.

That is what people especially parents dont really realize.

Kids who are in wheelchairs have full access to the language used by the other kids unless they are deaf themselves. Same goes for blind, white, black and etc...

It is all about the access to language.

Do people in wheelchairs have their own language? No...they use spoken language cuz they can hear.

BTW..deaf schools have children in wheelchairs, blind kids, and kids from all racial backgrounds.

It is about having shared language which is fully accessible to deaf children and in the public schools, too many deaf children are usually left out due to not having full access to language, communication, information, and etc.

That's why there are specific certifications and degrees targeted for Deaf education while certifications and degrees in Special Education covers the other needs.

That is what people especially parents dont really realize.

In a nutshell, you believe that parents reject the Deaf community because they want their child to be all oral and they believe Deaf community is all about ASL only?

In a nutshell, you believe that parents reject the Deaf community because they want their child to be all oral and they believe Deaf community is all about ASL only?

I cant speak for the parents. I was referring to someone's comments made about the Deaf schools.

Now I'm hoping I don't sound silly but majority of deaf children have hearing parents so they are more less likely to be exposed to deaf family members
And to the deaf culture

Majority of black people have Other black family members so they are exposed more to their culture.

Make sense??

People who grew up Culturally Deaf

They all went to different Deaf schools..do they look unhappy and deprived?

007-1.jpg

BTW..deaf schools have children in wheelchairs, blind kids, and kids from all racial backgrounds

I know this.

I disagree that it's all about language access. The CI is all about language access, too. I have seen many success in this route, too. I have met so many deaf people that thrived in the hearing world born deaf or not. That's why I do not believe that all deaf children should be only secluded to deaf education. Deaf schools should be a tool to help you mainstream to the local district school.

It's all about support and being in the right school system deaf or not. I have seen many children using sign language that have poor language. I have seen a few deaf children who sign and have poor speech skills. Do I know why their speech skills is poor? No. Do I know if the parent are doing everything with full support to help their children thrive? No. Do I know why the children with sign language/no CI have poor language skills? No. Do we fully know their life enought to blame it that it's only because ASL is not in their household? No. Does this sound like sign language is helping bridge the gap with language problems, doesn't seem so. This is what parents don't want.

I am sure that poor support system applies to all children with disabilities. Deafness is not different to other disabilities.

My parents did!

:gpost:

I am with u 100% of the way.

So am I! :gpost:

Uh....kids do get into fights at school.

Uh, yeah, but you are not reading the exact point. She says what if she RIPS out the CI? What does she mean RIPS out the CI? This sounds like she's saying ripping out the whole internal system. That's a horrific statement.

This is an example for shel. See how Byridie said, "kids do get into fights at school?" People could literally take that all kids get into fights in school. We know that isn't true, the same with my point about the Deaf Community.

Back