It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

Do you think it is possible that a lot of hearing parents thought about putting their child in a deaf school but when they actually visited the deaf school, they saw that the students were really behind and even though the school is supposed to be TC/BiBi, no one spoke at all?

I think that is a very good point. Why would a parent want to put their child in an enviroment with kids who are so far behind? That is why I chose not to put my child in TC. The students were unable to use sign or speech, why would I want my child is on level in a class that is moving way too slow, with children who have no language? I was lucky that we had another choice, but 10 years ago there wouldn't have been. I would have mainstreamed my child too, rather than put them in that Deaf school.

I think it's because some of us still have concerns about the CI's.

For an example: what if you daughter gets into a fight with another girl and she rips out the CI? Then what?

There is no way to rip out the CI, a person could rip OFF the speech processor. That is just be the same as pulling off your hearing aids. The interal part is completly inside her, no access to it from the outside.

I think that is a very good point. Why would a parent want to put their child in an enviroment with kids who are so far behind? That is why I chose not to put my child in TC. The students were unable to use sign or speech, why would I want my child is on level in a class that is moving way too slow, with children who have no language? I was lucky that we had another choice, but 10 years ago there wouldn't have been. I would have mainstreamed my child too, ratjer than put them in that Deaf school.

Not all deaf kids are behind at all deaf schools. My class is on grade level and we are using the public school curriculm. Pls do not jugde all deaf schools like that..thank you.

Not all deaf kids are behind at all deaf schools. My class is on grade level and we are using the public school curriculm. Pls do not jugde all deaf schools like that..thank you.

I never said that all deaf kids were behind. You know that my child is in a Deaf school. The PP said that she wondered if that was a reason that hearing people mainstream, and I believe it is. I said I would mainstream over that particular Deaf school. Don't accuse please.
Oh, and I thought that many of your kids were oral failures and that is why they ended up in your class. That they knew no ASL and were delayed in their overall language until they came to you.

I never said that all deaf kids were behind. You know that my child is in a Deaf school. The PP said that she wondered if that was a reason that hearing people mainstream, and I believe it is.
Oh, and I thought that many of your kids were oral failures and that is why they ended up in your class. That they knew no ASL and were delayed in their overall language until they came to you.

I always said "Came to our program" not to "me"...

I have one who was failed by the oral only approach and he is catching up...thank god! I am working my ass off to work with him to make up for what he has lost and so has the other teachers who have had him prior to me. He is all caught up now. He worked hard too and I applaud him. He deserves it big time.

Let's move on.

Now, why do many parents deny their children the opportunity to learn ASL and to meet other deaf/Deaf children? Is it cuz they think the Deaf community will harrass them or what?

I do not desire to turn my child "hearing" but I do want her to have access to sound. Because she is progressivly becoming profoundly deaf, a CI is the only way. I have no idea why it is "barbaric" to want my child to be able to hear a fire alarm or a car coming up behind her.

This thread is not really about why CI is awesome/not so awesome, but rather how and why hearing/deaf people reject each other. However, you and Buffalo just showed a perfect example of rejecting each other. Buffalo "rejected" faire jour for her actions towards the child because she feels that a surgery on a baby is not worth the risk especially when she has seen deaf people thrive without CI. Faire jour, in another thread, has noticed that people are giving her shit for implanting her child, and Buffalo is one of them, so Buffalo added fuel to the fire, even though s/he is simply showing his/her own opinion in a diplomatic way. Parents (hearing or not) are more sensitive about their choices towards a child, so several comments from a community about how they think that the parents are doing the "wrong thing" may be enough for the parents to reject the community. (Not faire though because she IS teaching her child ASL and plans to make the deaf community a big part of her daughters life.)

This thread is not really about why CI is awesome/not so awesome, but rather how and why hearing/deaf people reject each other. However, you and Buffalo just showed a perfect example of rejecting each other. Buffalo "rejected" faire jour for her actions towards the child because she feels that a surgery on a baby is not worth the risk especially when she has seen deaf people thrive without CI. Faire jour, in another thread, has noticed that people are giving her shit for implanting her child, and Buffalo is one of them, so Buffalo added fuel to the fire, even though s/he is simply showing his/her own opinion in a diplomatic way. Parents (hearing or not) are more sensitive about their choices towards a child, so several comments from a community about how they think that the parents are doing the "wrong thing" may be enough for the parents to reject the community. (Not faire though because she IS teaching her child ASL and plans to make the deaf community a big part of her daughters life.)

good observation!

I don't think the word barbaric is particularly "diplomatic". Also, my child is 5, not a baby. But I do think that people are extremly touchy about parenting in general. people love their children, and no matter what they choose to do, they are doing it because they believe it is the best for their child. No one wants to make their child's life difficult. They want to do what they see as best for the one they love. The problem is that each person has a different opinion as to what is the best.

I think that is a very good point. Why would a parent want to put their child in an enviroment with kids who are so far behind? That is why I chose not to put my child in TC. The students were unable to use sign or speech, why would I want my child is on level in a class that is moving way too slow, with children who have no language? I was lucky that we had another choice, but 10 years ago there wouldn't have been. I would have mainstreamed my child too, rather than put them in that Deaf school.

Melissa. I attended to a "regular" public school til High school then my mom agreed to let me go to a deaf school with the IEP meetings she made sure I got an education to my standards. I mainstreamed from the deaf school to a local public school to take the clases I have posted above.

As long as you don't deny that your child is deaf. You can teach her above and beyond. Allow her to sign and speak. Give her the best of both world.

Because your child doesn't has to "get the CI ripped out". She has to simply take it off and she is deaf as soon as the magnet is dislodge.

. Parents (hearing or not) are more sensitive about their choices towards a child, so several comments from a community about how they think that the parents are doing the "wrong thing" may be enough for the parents to reject the community.

I believe many hearing parents want their deaf child to be a part of the whole world. Perhaps, the rejections towards hearing parents approach by going oral/CI route makes hearing parents think that the Deaf Community is only separating themselves from the majority, the hearing world.

I have read certain deaf people actually believe that it's wrong for hearing parents to keep their deaf children at home. They think it's a child's right to live in a deaf school with other deaf children. I think this is a ridiculous comment. Being away from their parents just to be with other deaf children full-time? Parents love their children just like hearing children. They'd rather take care of them over the deaf school system. I think this is one example of separation from the hearing world.

In many ways, I have thought that deaf schools and other resources programs were mainly to help prepare children to be in the mainstream system not stay in the deaf or resources program.

I believe many hearing parents want their deaf child to be a part of the whole world. Perhaps, the rejections towards hearing parents approach by going oral/CI route makes hearing parents think that the Deaf Community is only separating themselves from the majority, the hearing world.

I have read certain deaf people actually believe that it's wrong for hearing parents to keep their deaf children at home. They think it's a child's right to live in a deaf school with other deaf children. I think this is a ridiculous comment. Being away from their parents just to be with other deaf children full-time? Parents love their children just like hearing children. They'd rather take care of them over the deaf school system. I think this is one example of separation from the hearing world.

In many ways, I have thought that deaf schools and other resources programs were mainly to help prepare children to be in the mainstream system not stay in the deaf or resources program.

Not all of students at Deaf schools live there. My brother didnt. He came home daily and wasnt kept away from the hearing world. Too many misconceptions about Deaf schools out there..that's the problem.

Yes, deaf schools have their problems like public schools do.

What's wrong with being with other deaf kids? It seems like deaf kids arent good enough for each other?

We are gonna be honest here so I want to know why is keeping deaf children away from other deaf children ok but keeping deaf children awya from other hearing kids is not. Tell me what's wrong with this picture?

I think it's because some of us still have concerns about the CI's.

For an example: what if you daughter gets into a fight with another girl and she rips out the CI? Then what?

This is an example of what I think that the Deaf Community continues to make up horrific things about implanting a child with a CI.

This is an example of what I think that the Deaf Community continues to make up horrific things about implanting a child with a CI.

I am a part of the Deaf community and I am not responsible for this comment. I didnt even think that so why did u say "Deaf community" as if we are all responsible for this comment? I cant be responsilbe for every Deaf person in the Deaf community!

I have never once made any horrific tales about CIs and yet, I am being blamed simply cuz I am part of the Deaf community?

My husband is responsible for the blacks who commit crimes against innocent people because he is black? Come on!

We are gonna be honest here so I want to know why is keeping deaf children away from other deaf children ok but keeping deaf children awya from other hearing kids is not. Tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Do you think that it does not have to do with them being deaf, but rather trying to expose your child to people of all backgrounds? Isn't sending them to a deaf school similar to a Chinese parent sending their child to a school of ONLY Chinese kids? There's nothing wrong with that, but some people may find that limiting.

Not all of students at Deaf schools live there. My brother didnt. He came home daily and wasnt kept away from the hearing world. Too many misconceptions about Deaf schools out there..that's the problem.

Yes, deaf schools have their problems like public schools do.

What's wrong with being with other deaf kids? It seems like deaf kids arent good enough for each other?

I didn't generalize. I said certain deaf people have said that, and I know that not all deaf children stay in the deaf school system. There's nothing wrong with being with other deaf children. The problem is how can you prepare them to deal with everybody who isn't deaf like them?

Growing up, the goals of being in a resource program was to help mainstream the children, so that you can go to school close to home like other children.

I think that to hearing parents it feels sad to them that they have to grow up one place with only deaf people. I think they do not want that. They want them to mingle with everyday people. Deaf or not.

I didn't generalize. I said certain deaf people have said that, and I know that not all deaf children stay in the deaf school system. There's nothing wrong with being with other deaf children. The problem is how can you prepare them to deal with everybody who isn't deaf like them?

Growing up, the goals of being in a resource program was to help mainstream the children, so that you can go to school close to home like other children.

I think that to hearing parents it feels sad to them that they have to grow up one place with only deaf people. I think they do not want that. They want them to mingle with everyday people. Deaf or not.

What do u mean by everyday people? Deaf people are everyday people too. It is impossible for deaf children to be completely isolated from the hearing world.

Hey, I grew up going mainstreamed but I was isolated among my hearing peers. What good did that do me? I became delayed in social skills cuz I didnt have full access to communication like my hearing peers did.

Parents need to think about that too.

Do you think that it does not have to do with them being deaf, but rather trying to expose your child to people of all backgrounds? Isn't sending them to a deaf school similar to a Chinese parent sending their child to a school of ONLY Chinese kids? There's nothing wrong with that, but some people may find that limiting.

At the Deaf school, we have kids from different ethnic backgrounds ..only difference is that they are all deaf but have different cultural experiences due to their ethnic backgrounds.

If going to a school where there are deaf kids is too limitiing then sending a hearing child to a school where there are only hearing kids should be limiting too.

See the reasoning...get what I am saying?

I am a part of the Deaf community and I am not responsible for this comment. I didnt even think that so why did u say "Deaf community" as if we are all responsible for this comment? I cant be responsilbe for every Deaf person in the Deaf community!

I have never once made any horrific tales about CIs and yet, I am being blamed simply cuz I am part of the Deaf community?

My husband is responsible for the blacks who commit crimes against innocent people because he is black? Come on!

I think you're being too critical here. I know that some in the Deaf Community have become open, but the Deaf Community that I am talking about are the true Deaf-Pride-don't-want-to-hear-about-oral-speech-CI or plain ignorant deaf people miseducated by other Deaf Community individual who want things their way.

You are one, but you are not the other people I am talking about. The closed-minded deaf people still exist out there.

I think you're being too critical here. I know that some in the Deaf Community have become open, but the Deaf Community that I am talking about are the true Deaf-Pride-don't-want-to-hear-about-oral-speech-CI or plain ignorant deaf people miseducated by other Deaf Community individual who want things their way.

You are one, but you are not the other people I am talking about. The closed-minded deaf people still exist out there.

U said "The Deaf community"

that's applying to a whole community. Gotta say...some members in the Deaf community are like that then I would agree with you but to say the "Deaf community" I will disagree with you.

I am gonna be honest here and if it means I am critical, so be it because it is not right. Read my first post in this thread and I did say that there are some who are extremist in the Deaf community.

At the Deaf school, we have kids from different ethnic backgrounds ..only difference is that they are all deaf but have different cultural experiences due to their ethnic backgrounds.

If going to a school where there are deaf kids is too limitiing then sending a hearing child to a school where there are only hearing kids should be limiting too.

See the reasoning...get what I am saying?

No, it's not the same way because the real world is not like that. I can choose to say, "I am not working with hearing people because that's too limiting." Today, we can go to social groups just to be with others like us if we choose like this forum AllDeaf to share a common understanding.

Back