It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

But on the other hand, there are some kids in my daughter's school who don't like hearing people. They mock them and say they are stupid and refuse to interact with hearing kids, even if they sign.

Then shame on them too!

But on the other hand, there are some kids in my daughter's school who don't like hearing people. They mock them and say they are stupid and refuse to interact with hearing kids, even if they sign.

Then shame on them too!

:gpost: Shel! My thoughts exactly!

It doesn't matter where it happens. What matters is how people respond to it. Simply put, it's wrong to look down on someone for being so called "different". If I saw a child with CI picking on a child who signs, I'd step in and nip the behavior in the bud. This would also occur if I saw a hearing child doing the same to a deaf child.

And, adults? I'd put that person in their place, too!

As someone who is "different", I have seen how ugly people can be to each other and I would not tolerate such behavior in my presence no matter where it is coming from!

It doesn't matter where it happens. What matters is how people respond to it. Simply put, it's wrong to look down on someone for being so called "different". If I saw a child with CI picking on a child who signs, I'd step in and nip the behavior in the bud. This would also occur if I saw a hearing child doing the same to a deaf child.

As someone who is "different", I have seen how ugly people can be to each other and I would not tolerate such behavior in my presence no matter where it is coming from!

Yea about kids mocking other kids everywhere. However, inn this situation, both parties are deaf and they are mocking each other. That's what makes it a big shame.

Thank you for seeing that and understanding that fact instead of assuming that if one grumbles about the oral-only method as rejecting the children with implants.

:)

Ditto for me. Thanks, dreamchaser.

The whole school where I work at went to a play directed by a Deaf person and deaf/hearing actors. I was surprised to see other deaf programs from other programs, mostly mainstreamed there to see the play as well. Many of the students from the other programs use ASL and they were so excited to see our students. During intermission, some of them introduced themselves as welll as some of our students did so they interacted socially. However, I was sitting in the back with the other staff and I noticed that there was one group of kids from one oral-only program sitting off by themselves. U know what I saw that made me really sad? They were laughing and mocking the deaf signers by making fun of their signing. I just sat and watched the whole thing and one of the students from one of the mainstreamed programs who is a ASL user came up to them and said hi. U know what they did...they looked at him like he was an alien and turned to each other saying something and then laughing at him.

It was apparent who did the rejecting. Of course after numerous of students saw them mocking them, they started mocking them too. Come on...I find it a shame that they are so divided like that. A shame.

Wow! That is heartbreaking, especially when you consider where the oral students are picking up such an attitude! They missed an opportunity to perhaps meet another person that could have a huge impact on their life in ways unknown. And they will never know, because they rejected a group on something superficial.

Yea that is sad. Sigh... kids can be so cruel. One thing for sure... parents MUST teach their child to be accepting of people who are not like him/her. If a parent teaches their child that oral only is better than those who sign, that's just bad. But sometimes it's not even taught, kids sometimes look down on anyone who do things differently for no reason. The family member that I have, who has a CI, one day came up to me and said "Why don't you have the CI? Thats stupid. My life is so much better after having the CI." I was just so taken aback (he's 11 years younger than me!!!). Good thing we aren't blood related!

**nodding**

Yep..I agree. It was the attitudes towards signing by those around me that led me to believe that I was superior to those who are signers EVEN my own brother growing up. Nobody had to tell it to me directly...it is a learned behavior.

That's the sad part. You don't have to tell a child those exact words for them to get that message. They pick it up from the behavior of others around them.

Good for you. I was raised to believe if you see discrimination in any form, and turn your back instead of getting involved and speaking out, then you are just as guilty as the person doing the discriminating.

Originally Posted by faire_jour

not only to hearing kids, Deaf adults are just the same so flamng rude, they interrupt, don't sign to non-fluent deaf/hoh signers (all excused as "Deaf culture" which is bullshit. they also mock, now mocking doesn't and won't help at all to the future of sign language/Deaf culture (itseif they keep distorting what it is) Deaf/deaf should recognise the responsibilty , even obligation to help one another to ensure all of us grow, thus sign language capacity continue to grow as hoh/deaf can 'bring back from hearing world that 'what-is' , dammit please don't accuse me of bigotry i never intend to imply hearing world is better or has 'more' (but it does have more, look around, they have made technology possible ok social trajectory and all that is different and so on.

Whole point is it's not just the Deaf kids mocking 'back' nor deaf/hoh(implantees or not it doesnt matter as in this instance audism/hearism/deafism bears more relevance here) kids mock their lack of oral skills too. I am saying i suspect it has been trickled down from attitudes that Deaf adults have, which influenced the kid's naive consciensation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by faire_jour

not only to hearing kids, Deaf adults are just the same so flamng rude, they interrupt, don't sign to non-fluent deaf/hoh signers (all excused as "Deaf culture" which is bullshit. they also mock, now mocking doesn't and won't help at all to the future of sign language/Deaf culture (itseif they keep distorting what it is) Deaf/deaf should recognise the responsibilty , even obligation to help one another to ensure all of us grow, thus sign language capacity continue to grow as hoh/deaf can 'bring back from hearing world that 'what-is' , dammit please don't accuse me of bigotry i never intend to imply hearing world is better or has 'more' (but it does have more, look around, they have made technology possible ok social trajectory and all that is different and so on.

Whole point is it's not just the Deaf kids mocking 'back' nor deaf/hoh(implantees or not it doesnt matter as in this instance audism/hearism/deafism bears more relevance here) kids mock their lack of oral skills too. I am saying i suspect it has been trickled down from attitudes that Deaf adults have, which influenced the kid's naive consciensation.

What a post!

This guy is basically right. I mean I am deaf, but I have strong skill in oral and people mistakes me for hearing. Then when I went to Gallaudet, that changed everything, everyone was so retarded for calling me mental retard because I couldn't sign in ASL fully, I was PSE when i started in Gallaudet.

MOCK ME, I SAY, MOCK ME.

People who mocks are closed-mind and they only care about themselves because of that, they push away people out of their "circle" and that clearly shows that they only care about themselves because they all have the same problem. deafness.

PLEASE, GROW UP AND LEARN. Deafness is just a disability, not a life threatening issue. You will live, but in different perspective.

I once posted that there was a time where I believed that everyone was deaf but when I came to my conscience, I learned and the truth isn't harsh, it's funny.
I laughed and said, wow, that's the real world, huh? I don't include myself in the community because of this "mocking" that deaf people do on people.

(Mod's Edit: Removed the last paragraph: provoking)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the beginning of each session we do a hearing aid check with the ling sounds, and when it is time for a evaluation of where her speech is. It is usually bi-annually.

The hoop is a embroidery hoop covered in the material that is used on stereo speakers. It is used to cover her mouth so she can't lipread.
Don't you do an HA check each morning before your daughter puts her aids on?
I recall the HA's checks... Had to make sure the equipment was working so that communication could be established...
Now, with CI, I just turn on the processors, and give the coils to Lotte so she can put them on her hear herself...
..... No checking needed....
.... well, we say "Good morning Lotte" when she's still standing with her back to us to check if she hears, and will always get a "Good morning mommy / daddy" back. :cool2:

I recall the HA's checks... Had to make sure the equipment was working so that communication could be established...
Now, with CI, I just turn on the processors, and give the coils to Lotte so she can put them on her hear herself...
..... No checking needed....
.... well, we say "Good morning Lotte" when she's still standing with her back to us to check if she hears, and will always get a "Good morning mommy / daddy" back. :cool2:

You don't know if the processor ispicking up the ling sounds without checking it. Just because she responds to sound is not an indication that she is picking up all sound. The purpose of the HA check is to see if the HA is functioning to the point that the softer speech sounds are being amplified without inteference. Just putting them on a child with a hearing loss does not insure that they are. Nor does just putting a CI on a child with a hearing loss guarantee that, either.:roll:

And if repeat the same phrase every morning, of course she will answer the same every morning.

You don't know if the processor ispicking up the ling sounds without checking it. Just because she responds to sound is not an indication that she is picking up all sound. The purpose of the HA check is to see if the HA is functioning to the point that the softer speech sounds are being amplified without inteference. Just putting them on a child with a hearing loss does not insure that they are. Nor does just putting a CI on a child with a hearing loss guarantee that, either.:roll:

And if repeat the same phrase every morning, of course she will answer the same every morning.
Thank you very much for that exceptional useful piece of information...
We'll get into action right away..
Do you think we should change our first sentence now and then?
Thanks Jillio!

Thank you very much for that exceptional useful piece of information...
We'll get into action right away..
Do you think we should change our first sentence now and then?
Thanks Jillio!

:laugh2::laugh2: Sarcasm at its best! Hi Cloggy!:P

Not at all. You think Jillio is wrong?

Honestly, you need to do the ling sounds for an appropriate sound check. The ling sounds are:

Ah
Ooo
Eee
Mmmm
Ssss
Shhh

If she can here those sounds she should be able to all the speech sounds.

Honestly, you need to do the ling sounds for an appropriate sound check. The ling sounds are:

Ah
Ooo
Eee
Mmmm
Ssss
Shhh

If she can here those sounds she should be able to all the speech sounds.

My point exactly. And the purpose of checking the devise using the Ling sounds is to insure that the devise is picking those sounds up appropriately. Only in that way can you be sure whether it is the devise malfunctioning, or the fact that the child cannot pick up those sounds at the current level.

And yes, it is necessary to change the sentence used for testing from time to time to insure that a child is responding to what they actually hear and not what they have come to expect to hear.

Back