Genealogy

:) my uncle is an avid hobby geneologist.. he enjoys researching on our family. Currently (as of 1999 i think) he said we (my family) were related to 2k+ people in Iowa. Thats what, 1/3 of the population? ;) Sorry to any of you people who are Iowans.. I was raised a Minnesotan, so but yeah. We originated from Luxembourg, isnt that cool?

One of my ancestors was a very well rounded guy, he emigrated to the USA from Germany with his family. They lived in New York under the British rule, but they started to resist. My ancestor lived with Indians and learned their 5 languages. Later on, he moved down to Pennsylvania with his family, became a monk at Ephrata Cloister. After a while he had some disagreements, so he quit the cloister, and started a business in Reading. He served as an interpreter between the settlers and the Indians and helped a lot of things go peacefully between the settlers and the Indians. He served as a judge too. There must be more about him, but I haven't had an opportunity to read on him. I found out that there is a State Park named after him, and that his homestead is still there! Wow, I want to go see it one day.

Also, one of my ancestors was a personal bodyguard for George Washington. His father-in-law (not G. Washington's, but my ancestor) was a general in the American Revolutionary War. Both of them were Germans too. Really fascinating to read it all!

I used to look up in website (ancestor or genealogy something) when some people deceased in my family.

One of my cousin research on genealogy on my mother's side. Turn out I was sooo freak out and not like to accept the fact about my generation that where come from.
I was told that I am 21th generation from King Henry III. Geez, that mean I have very little royal blood in my vein. Even I start aware most of royal families are my distance cousins. Even Princess Di was also my distance cousin.
Also, my great-great-great-great-great grandfather was captain for British armys for against American armys during America Revolution. I was shocked that he owned slaves. My grandma asked me not tell my friends about. She was too embarrassed to accep the fact aboutt one of my generation owned slaves. After the war's over, he moved to New Brunswick instead of return to England.
I start realized I have strong background from United Kingdom on my mother's side. I did not doing but some of my relatives did it. Enjoy updated on me and others. Very interested!

i have been done doing the research on my family history and too complicate for me because my last name is very unique !!! even had to figure out the switch last name over the years ... i have heard many different story where the family come from and it cause me flip out big time and decide to hang it up for awhile until i get the confirm traces .. then go back and set it up one time a step ..

Originally posted by EcKoThEgReAt03
Barras- I wonder where my last name comes from. To me, it looks like a French name.
u are not only one wondering where that last name come from .... even my last name is unknow !!

Yeah. It's interestig to explore family trees, learn how family traditions got started, and etc.

Last edited:
those of u that has posted the links to other geneaology sites -- THANKS!!!! i didnt know of those sites :roll:

i do my own research on my father's side but its MUCH more challenging due to his having been adopted and all records in reference to his adoption has been burned up in a City Hall fire years ago :ugh: i have been told i seem to have EITHER Native American or Hispanic bloodlines :dunno: on the accuracy of that

my mom's side of the family DOES alot of research as theyre members of the LDS church and theyre often there doing research whenever they have free time and is able to go to the church to look up more further back -- and i found that mom's side is related in some ways to Brigham Young and Joseph Smith from the era of polygamy :barf: :roll:

I tried for a long time to track down my dad's side. He was basically raised in foster care and only knew small pieces about his family. I searched online and found out WAY more than I wanted to know. Turns out I'm descended from the Mafia... literally. This is not what I wanted to hear. I had a good idea because my last name is really uncommon and it's shown up in history books and such. The uncle my father was named for was responsible for one of the worst jail-breaks in the history of Ohio. How proud I am. On the other hand, some of my family owns a string of Italian Resteraunts on the south east coast and they're Senators and Congressmen in a state I won't mention. They've sent me pictures and things of my ancestors, which is really all I ever wanted from them. I don't really look like any of my known relatives, so I've always been curious about where this random DNA came from. Unfortunately, I still don't know!

Originally posted by Lasza

Also, my great-great-great-great-great grandfather was captain for British armys for against American armys during America Revolution. I was shocked that he owned slaves. My grandma asked me not tell my friends about. She was too embarrassed to accep the fact aboutt one of my generation owned slaves. After the war's over, he moved to New Brunswick instead of return to England.

The progentior for my family surname also owned slaves. I agree with you, that I find it very weird to accept the idea that your forefathers owned slaves. I read the will of that guy, and it said when he died, all the slaves were free, except one girl, who would remain a slave under his daughter. We have no clue what happened to these slaves, as I would love to research and see what happened to them. We had an old A.M.E. Church in the next village, but it was destroyed since 100 years ago. Nobody has records. I find this pretty sad...

Originally posted by Lasza
One of my cousin research on genealogy on my mother's side. Turn out I was sooo freak out and not like to accept the fact about my generation that where come from.
I was told that I am 21th generation from King Henry III. Geez, that mean I have very little royal blood in my vein. Even I start aware most of royal families are my distance cousins. Even Princess Di was also my distance cousin.
I start realized I have strong background from United Kingdom on my mother's side. I did not doing but some of my relatives did it. Enjoy updated on me and others. Very interested!

Wow.. :bowdown: Queen tiger. LOL

Originally posted by Sydlie
I tried for a long time to track down my dad's side. He was basically raised in foster care and only knew small pieces about his family. I searched online and found out WAY more than I wanted to know. Turns out I'm descended from the Mafia... literally. This is not what I wanted to hear. I had a good idea because my last name is really uncommon and it's shown up in history books and such. The uncle my father was named for was responsible for one of the worst jail-breaks in the history of Ohio. How proud I am. On the other hand, some of my family owns a string of Italian Resteraunts on the south east coast and they're Senators and Congressmen in a state I won't mention. They've sent me pictures and things of my ancestors, which is really all I ever wanted from them. I don't really look like any of my known relatives, so I've always been curious about where this random DNA came from. Unfortunately, I still don't know!

Wow. My relative was involved in mob years ago (of course, he and my late grandma were 20 years apart and never talked). I am planning to go to Cleveland Main Library to investigate my birthmom's side of family and find out more more.

I remember reading somewhere that President Bush and Princess Diana were related through 17 generations apart.

Ahh! Now that sounds so interesting... I'm going to start with mine now. I think that it's too impossible with my last name... Cook is my last name and I'm going to try anyways.

Back