Damn you George W. Bush and the Wall Street fatcats

My neighbors both got laid off in the past few months.

My aunt might get laid off from the job she had for 30 years.

My mom thinks she wont have a job next year.

You already know about my dad.

So, all these people getting laid off are unable to sell their houses, refinance their cars or houses, forced to pay high costs for foods, and etc.

Some of you talk about saving money to be prepared...I will use myself as an example...while in college, my ex left me so I had to support myself thru college since I knew I wouldnt get a teaching job without my degree. During the 2 years of supporting myself on a part time job paying $10 an hour, I had to use my credit cards for gas and food cuz I had no cash which left me with heavy debt. Got my teaching job but it was contractual for the first two years so whenever we were off, I didnt get paid and had no health insurance so I got a 2nd full time job. Worked 2 full time jobs for 2 years, paid off most of my debt which was my primary focus..didnt save money. Got pregnant forcing me to quit the 2nd job, but my teaching job was finally permanment with benefits. My hubby and I had a rough start financially cuz the gas prices were starting to climb and the housing costs were so high here in MD so we moved into a dangerous neighborhood in a rental townhouse with a low rental fee. We were able to save money and we wanted to buy a house so we bought our house. All was fine..we were comfortable and continued to save then the economy and the American dollar went downhill..all of sudden, we werent able to save and started borrowing from our savings and now we are out of money in our savings and then things started happening...my truck broke down, the windows were in bad shape and couldnt stay closed, and etc...how we did pay for all that?...thru credit cards since we had no savings left. Now, all of sudden, we run out of money before each paycheck cuz everything is so expensive...diapers,foods, and etc.

That's practically how most people find themselves in trouble so that's why I disagree with many of you that the people are at fault for spending or not saving. Most people I know did everything right and now they are struggling and some of them end up with bankrupties or foreclosures.

I am so sorry to hear that, Shel. That must be awful!!! I pray that your family will NOT get laid off. I will continue praying for them. :hug:
It's hard for my sister, her husband and my two brothers, too. My baby brother and I are doing OK but we have to be careful with our money budgets. That's why I have three odd jobs to support me since I am single but of course, I am still worried about having a meeting with my boss tomorrow morning. He fired my co-worker last Friday. She is OK now after I had a long talk with her, I took her out for the day, like shopping, luncheon and dining. We got home late. She's OK, tho. I hope so. (She probably will move and live with me if she doesn't get the job by next month..)
I agree with you that it's NOT our fault, but blame the Government systems because they did ruin our lives, etc. :mad2:
Again, I am so sorry to hear that, Shel. I am giving you a :hug:.

I'm sorry that you lost some of your pay, especially now. :(

Thanks Reba...it is really hard even with a full paycheck and now with a partial paycheck...:eek:

I am so sorry to hear that, Shel. That must be awful!!! I pray that your family will NOT get laid off. I will continue praying for them. :hug:
It's hard for my sister, her husband and my two brothers, too. My baby brother and I are doing OK but we have to be careful with our money budgets. That's why I have three odd jobs to support me since I am single but of course, I am still worried about having a meeting with my boss tomorrow morning. He fired my co-worker last Friday. She is OK now after I had a long talk with her, I took her out for the day, like shopping, luncheon and dining. We got home late. She's OK, tho. I hope so. (She probably will move and live with me if she doesn't get the job by next month..)
I agree with you that it's NOT our fault, but blame the Government systems because they did ruin our lives, etc. :mad2:
Again, I am so sorry to hear that, Shel. I am giving you a :hug:.

Thanks! :hug:

It just sucks seeing my family struggle like that and all of them are near retirement age. They worked their butts off all of their adult lives only to be broke during retirement if things dont improve. Just doesnt seem right.

Then one needs to be in a "recession-proof" jobs......

I have a "recession-proof" job but yet, I am about to get 4 paid days taken away from me cuz the state needs my and other's money to get itself out of debt.

What about private healthcare practices? I heard they are still going up in employment. I guess the more sick people there are, the more business they'll get. Although the more sick people without a jobs, the more money private practices will lose out on.

I'm laid off and im currently collecting partial unemployment as my hours have been drastically cut. i am however putting in applications at tyson, wayne farms, conagra, microplane, wal-mart, anyplace that will give me a fulltime position. we have a career fair on Jan 5th.
I hope you get the work hours that you need.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but unless I lose my job, it's pretty much recession-proof (*knocks on wood*). There will always be people needed to clean toilets, etc.

What about private healthcare practices? I heard they are still going up in employment. I guess the more sick people there are, the more business they'll get. Although the more sick people without a jobs, the more money private practices will lose out on.

Question: Where will the money go if EVERYONE ran out of them? How can piece of paper (money) disappear? Will they be in other countries? Locked up in Fort Knox with Gold blocks that paper perished to?

I have a "recession-proof" job but yet, I am about to get 4 paid days taken away from me cuz the state needs my and other's money to get itself out of debt.

In some cases, when US is in recession then state could make some layoff for people who work for state, including teachers due state don't get enough funds to fund it.

I really hate to be in recession, can't wait to be over.

People took out loans when they could afford it and then the value of the American dollar goes down which nobody predicted so how are people at fault? Last year, I brought home more money and this year I didnt add any new bills, got a raise, BUT I bring home less money and the cost of foods, gas (when it was high), and etc went up. What gives? That is what got so many people in trouble, not the loans they took out.

Also, I am feeling a bit distrustful of our govt...why are gas prices so low? Makes me think that there was no reason for them to go up so high causing people to be broke and now that everyone is broke, they go down? That makes me suspicous..

because our auto industry is "failing" and i'm sure there are bunch of other reasons. Either way... if we learned anything from Great Depression (twice).... it's to save up enough money for contingency purpose and always expect the unexpected event to happen - the sudden fluctuation of price of oil/food/etc.... my parents didn't do this which is why we're struggling. they can't even afford to pay for property/municipal tax and it had to be added to their mortgage. they're living on credit cards and i'm living with them to save money and to pitch in for us all.

if people are living on the edge, having to pay for bills and they would get screwed if some unexpected factor occurred... well of course they will get screwed.

The cold hard truth is...... it's the survival of fittest out there.... always. just gotta plan better and smarter. may the lesson be with us.

I believe that the cause of all this was from greedy, fraud, dishonesty, lust for more money and power competitors.

I believe that the cause of all this was from greedy, fraud, dishonesty, lust for more money and power competitors.

yea.... from day 1 since the concept of economy/wealth was born.

And janitors

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this. I was a janitor and got laid off because the school district doesn't want us anymore and prefer to have their own janitors. I tired to work for the school district, but they told me no just because I don't have enough experience to meet their needs.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this. I was a janitor and got laid off because the school district doesn't want us anymore and prefer to have their own janitors. I tired to work for the school district, but they told me no just because I don't have enough experience to meet their needs.

That's an isolated case. My experience has been the opposite.

Back