ASL SEE question

Fabulous, BG. I love how you want to be so polite and so politically correct that you don't want to mention the years of un-doing SEE (I suppose that's the "working it out as you go"). I see clearly you didn't bother to read what the early-deafened who had to learn SEE and then unlearn it have said about it, or :roll: CSign's SEE thread. Nice job.

Sunny is the only one who has expressed that she grew up with SEE and had to "unlearn" it. Two other posters acknowledged they learned it when they were in their early teens.

I'm also not sure why one would want to "unlearn"
SEE. No one is forcing anyone to use it, and if anything SEE can reinforce English which is also a helpful language to know. The only thing necessary for those that grew up with SEE is that they know it's not ASL and what the differences are.

Beachgirl had a very thoughtful post. Possibly one of the more helpful posts in this thread.

i feel discredit. i try help OP member and try make my point across, i only use F word one time, then people picking me apart wtf? it only F word. whatever i say nothing, not want argue. i not whine, but i bad mood now and i want vent.

Sunny is the only one who has expressed that she grew up with SEE and had to "unlearn" it. Two other posters acknowledged they learned it when they were in their early teens.

I'm also not sure why one would want to "unlearn"
SEE. No one is forcing anyone to use it, and if anything SEE can reinforce English which is also a helpful language to know. The only thing necessary for those that grew up with SEE is that they know it's not ASL and what the differences are.

Beachgirl had a very thoughtful post. Possibly one of the more helpful posts in this thread.

I need unlearn SEE so I can proper use ASL so I can communicate with actual deaf people actual deaf community. My parents only people I meet my whole life who exclusive use SEE. I, like most people, want communicate more people just my parents.

I need unlearn SEE so I can proper use ASL so I can communicate with actual deaf people actual deaf community. My parents only people I meet my whole life who exclusive use SEE. I, like most people, want communicate more people just my parents.

Yes, absolutely.

If I could be a cat I would be a serval.... hehe.

Anyways, thank you all again. I see the points on each side. It was never a question for me to substitute SEE for ASL forever, never my intention ,j it's just what I know, right now. Trust me I will be continuing my trek for knowledge and growth in ASL and I will get the babies up to speed as well even if it takes years and the eventual moving of my family.

Never my intention for anything to get heated around here (this thread lol) I was just wanting to ask for help :)

Don't cha wanna get inta politics???

(note, this posting was intentionally obfuscated to mislead my political enemies) :giggle:

i feel discredit. i try help OP member and try make my point across, i only use F word one time, then people picking me apart wtf? it only F word. whatever i say nothing, not want argue. i not whine, but i bad mood now and i want vent.

Smithr just called your attention to the language that was used. No one is picking you apart. Take it from me, if you want to participate in this forum you need to let things roll off your back. Take it in, understand it, and let it go.

Don't worry about it. Smithr just doesn't like swearing, that's all.

Anyways, adios to this thread. Blondon, despite my posts and thoughts, I wish you the best with your child. Enjoy your bedtime stories with him :)

Don't cha wanna get inta politics???

(note, this posting was intentionally obfuscated to mislead my political enemies) :giggle:

Politics and confrontations frighten me I will stay away thank you.

I am sorry Alleycat? but thank you for your input and all.

Don't worry about it. Smithr just doesn't like swearing, that's all.

Anyways, adios to this thread. Blondon, despite my posts and thoughts, I wish you the best with your child. Enjoy your bedtime stories with him :)

No problems :)!!!!! of course :ty: want to enjoy for postive reason language

Politics and confrontations frighten me I will stay away thank you.

I am sorry Alleycat? but thank you for your input and all.

Unfortunately you will have little choice. You will need to be your child's strongest advocate. We will do what little we can to help you and be looking to give you some emotional support. So let us know how things are going so we can support you.

Just curious- what is there to "unlearn"? SEE is a mode of English which is necessary to be proficient in, at least here in the U.S.

I was lucky to never have to learn see because I don't have any language issues to unlearn.

Unfortunately you will have little choice. You will need to be your child's strongest advocate. We will do what little we can to help you and be looking to give you some emotional support. So let us know how things are going so we can support you.

I totally meant politics and confrontation via posts on the internet lol. I am not very wordy and quick witted as other keyboard ninjas around here. In real life when it comes to my children I have no problem advocating. That lady at the board office got my talons all over her face for that nonsense she tried. I get very touchy when it comes to their well being, education, all of the stuff I am supposed to protect, while I can. I have taken that strong support like a rock kind of mom attitude when it comes to them. That is coming from starting out as an unmarried young(er) mother. Me and my husband got a lot of flack from the masses since we wouldn't marry before our first so we had to toughen up to lthe reality of life these are our babies we have to take care of business lol :)

I came here for advice, (possible friendships) and in general people to talk to :) I am excited to have people I can come to for support it is nice since I haven't had this... ever.

I don't really think SEE has a place anywhere, in my personal opinion. I do think that if a child grows up ASL only, just reading books will teach them the English they need to know all by itself. They may learn English later than their peers, but is that really such a problem? Parents need to relax, and view English as a second language for their child, because the child WILL learn it, it will just take time. And that's OK.

If the parent wants to read aloud in English for sibling's sake, or teach English somehow early on and just can not wait for reading to do it's job, I think Cued Speech would be a better way of visually representing English so that their deaf child can be bilingual. That is more of "here is our language, and here are cues to help you understand it". SEE to me would be very confusing. To me, if you teach SEE and ASL, you are essentially teaching the child THREE languages, not two. That's a lot to ask of a kid, isn't it? As much as I disagree with how much Cued Speech is abused by parents, I can appreciate it's function when it is used the way it as meant to be used and not as a primary language. Unlike SEE, it is different enough from ASL that it is not so confusing and limits the number of languages being learned to two, so that you don't overtax a child's brain. From what I understand, it's a lot easier to learn and use than SEE too - freeing up time and effort to concentrate on ASL.

But, you know, what do I know, right? lol

I totally meant politics and confrontation via posts on the internet lol. I am not very wordy and quick witted as other keyboard ninjas around here. In real life when it comes to my children I have no problem advocating. That lady at the board office got my talons all over her face for that nonsense she tried. I get very touchy when it comes to their well being, education, all of the stuff I am supposed to protect, while I can. I have taken that strong support like a rock kind of mom attitude when it comes to them. That is coming from starting out as an unmarried young(er) mother. Me and my husband got a lot of flack from the masses since we wouldn't marry before our first so we had to toughen up to lthe reality of life these are our babies we have to take care of business lol :)

I came here for advice, (possible friendships) and in general people to talk to :) I am excited to have people I can come to for support it is nice since I haven't had this... ever.

Yes, sometimes it gets heated around here because of the history of our language getting put aside and treated as not worthy as English. ASL has enabled many deaf and even hearing children achieve higher thinking skills. sEE was made as a teaching tool orginally, not to be used for language development.

oh, i know what you mean. no i didn't mean to say that to you but in general of members but according to the AD, i understand that neutral language is the best and play it safe. i guess. lol.

anyway, now you know how ad is. :) that is cool.

This may start another issue and I hope it does not. I am looking at this from my POV. While I am trying to learn ASL and having family that mostly is unable or unwilling (kids are trying), I have taken to signing more PSE and knowing that if I do it that way I can easily switch to ASL. Am I wrong in this thinking. I had never ever thought of SEE, most especially after coming to AD. The reason I am doing it this way is so that my family will begin to learn the signs for specific things and I will remember the signs. I am running into more and more memory issues and I felt this was better for me.

Am I thinking wrong?

This may start another issue and I hope it does not. I am looking at this from my POV. While I am trying to learn ASL and having family that mostly is unable or unwilling (kids are trying), I have taken to signing more PSE and knowing that if I do it that way I can easily switch to ASL. Am I wrong in this thinking. I had never ever thought of SEE, most especially after coming to AD. The reason I am doing it this way is so that my family will begin to learn the signs for specific things and I will remember the signs. I am running into more and more memory issues and I felt this was better for me.

Am I thinking wrong?

No, you are not. You and your family already have a language foundation so SEE won't mess up your language development. SEE shouldn't be used for babies and toddlers while they are in their formative years of language development.

Same here.

Back