ASL SEE question

In reference to the bolded portion above, I never stated that SEE was a requirement of learning English. I stated that it can be an effective tool.

Which, in your book, is about the same thing. Whether it's a requirement or a tool. That was just a paragraph full of semantics. You still think it's needed to learn English.

In reference to the bolded portion above, I never stated that SEE was a requirement of learning English. I stated that it can be an effective tool.

"Signing Exact English is a sign language system that represents literal English. *To make visible everything that is not heard, S.E.E. supplements what a child can get from hearing and speechreading. *Since American Sign Language (ASL) has different vocabulary, idioms and syntax from English, SEE modifies and supplements the vocabulary of ASL so children can see clearly what is said in English. *****This system was first made available in 1972."

Home

If you'll re-read what I posted, I made reference at least two times to the fact that ASL and English are two distinct languages and shouldn't be used together when communicating with a child who is developing language.
I aware it SEE already once time SEE sign languague translarte I am development I already experience to SEE development grammar strutence to grammar because

ASL limit because missing to sentence on reason I tell you
no full grammar

SEE I was already grow up school deaf community! teach me control out reason I see notice book already!

I suggest to Reba is better recommmand to answer to question , my opinion preception but

Reba good advise to ASL otherwise good points more skill experience than I do!

I am reading out loud. Bed time consists of me and all four of the babies :) my oldest daughter is 6, oldest son the one with hearing loss is 3, youngest daughter is 2 and then the baby, another possible hearing loss we find out friday is 9 months, he doesn't do much with story time just sits and drools haha. It's kind of like our own circle time complete with rug and all. *Thank you all for your responses. I have been trying really hard and I am finding it difficult with little resources. The internet has been wonderful I have learned very much but I would prefer to take face to face classes. One day.
Are there any ASL programs in your area?

They used to offer ASL at our vocational school but that was forever ago. I have looked in to doing classes on-line but I never know what is real and what is a scam. I am sure there are some legitimate ones out there but I don't want to pay all kinds of money to be let down. I have done a lot on lifeprint.com that has been really helpful.

They used to offer ASL at our vocational school but that was forever ago. I have looked in to doing classes on-line but I never know what is real and what is a scam. I am sure there are some legitimate ones out there but I don't want to pay all kinds of money to be let down. I have done a lot on lifeprint.com that has been really helpful.

Isn't there one through early intervention for your son?

@blondon704 want to education to search find to match ASL course because won't to pay because offer to education to asl real,want to practice to education to ASL reason, improve ASL education! that is reason not none school! I think so private not sure

I guess private school or something specially privates

We had him in a program called birth to three, basically we had a speech therapist (among other therapists) come to our home weekly and teach him basic signs they weren't teachers or anything they just brought what they knew. There is a program offered through the WVDB is a program called ski hi. Another in home program that came 2 a month doing the same, offering the same thing, but honestly, not due to the instructor case worker girl she was awesome, the program was just lacking. I did get a really nice book from them. The birth to three program is the ones who set up everything for him to go to the school that he is at now, because their resources are tapped after 3 years of age, apparently. They do no continuing services, same for the ski hi program they stop at 5. We opted to go ahead and cancel ski hi because they weren't going to be able to work around his school schedule, and because they just weren't really doing anything.
*Does any of this make sense?
We have looked in to the surrounding counties for more resources but they all have the same. It's the whole bottom part of this state that is lacking resources.

Generally speaking, birth-3 the child is served by the county office. From 3-5 it is still considered early intervention, but it's your local school district that is responsible for providing services.

You just have to be assertive on what he needs, because regardless of the location they are responsible for providing him with a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). School districts are notorious for providing minimal and/or inappropriate services. Sometimes it's due to them having a lack of true knowledge and understanding when it comes to the needs of DHH students. Often times you have to educate them. It shouldn't be that way, but often times it is.

At your next IEP definitely request an FM system and make sure it's documented in the notes and/or service page. Are you happy with his morning placement? Do you feel he is benefitting from what they have to offer?

The fm system is first on my list. Right now for the first of the year however I have all kinds of things lined up. I still want to be allowed to observe some of his class that has to be approved but I am going to keep pushing for that. And I think I am going to change audiologists... again.

... o/t but I don't know if any of you had read the other thread someone had posted about ha's itching?? Well I had posted that I kept getting phone calls from the school telling me to come get him that he was scratching at his ears and so forth. Well he has been home the past 5 days has been wearing his ha's and not shown any problem. they don't look red or irritated. Is it rude of me to think they were just looking for reasons to send him home? I don't know what else since when he has been home he has been fine. I am still going to look in to whether or not it is the color dye in the ha's just in case but I just thought that was odd.

Maybe its louder at school than at home, and that is why he was scratching at his ears? Or there could be a sound at school that is irritating him?

I hope the teachers aren't looking for an excuse to send him home. Maybe you could ask to stay until he scratches his ears again, saying that you want to try to identify the sound that is bothering him ... that you assume that this is the reason since he doesn't scratch his ears at home.

Blondon- you should be able to observe his placement to see if it's appropriate for him. Does he have an IEP coming up? Which placement are you concerned about? If I have time today I can look in my book of Special Education laws to see if I can come up with anything for you to present to the administrator.

ASL from the go is better than SEE for the following reasons, it's a language and a deaf child needs a good language foundation otherwise they will have trouble learning the structure of different languges.

SEE sounds good at first but since sign language is visual spatial and English is heavily auditory based, the two do not go together.

The things that makes English a great spoken language also renders it awkward to use in sign language - especially gerunds like ings and suffixes. PSE ends up being the default signed language as a result.. and it will be a creole - not a true langauge.
Even hearing with a strong bias towards English will use PSE as a result of the awkwardness of SEE hence why I don't recommend SEE at all.

I appreciate all of the responses. Honestly I am just nervous to the point of not wanting to do story times :-( it is not necessarily a have to and since there are usually so many tantrums and fighting going on I am surprised they all sit for a 20 page story 3 to 4 nights a week. I just want this to be the best beginning my little nuggets can have, and I am afraid that with me taking so long to learn ASL it is going to hurt us all. I will stick with what I know. I have been reading the PSE and it seems kind of like what I have seen his teachers do with him (his evening class). So hopefully I can maybe get some tips from them. Once school starts back up and I get to sit in on class time hopefully I can learn some stuff from them as well.

Blondon, best tip I can give is ASL is best for deaf child. Is natural language of deaf, is language prefer deaf community, there really no reason not use ASL. Resources exist for learn, both live and online. Learn ASL will only benefit. No regret. Learn SEE only make things more difficult for child. Unnecessary complicate. ASL the simple, natural solution.

See is just bad to use for language development in children. It is not a language.

Not understand why anyone still advocate use SEE as helpful tool use with / pre ASL. Only gives child much unlearn before can learn ASL.

Back