ASL SEE question

ASL is going to be needed for socializing anyway. While kids are perfectly capable of learning both SEE signs and ASL signs, it would mean learning two different signs for a lot of words. Why put them through that? I personally would choose ASL since it has much greater functionality and is complete language. Additionally, PSE can be used for reading books to them if it's done for their hearing sibling's benefit, so that you can still read aloud to them and include the deaf child as well - it would be much easier for a kid to switch between ASL and PSE structure using the same signs than between ASL and SEE - which would be different structures AND signs and even a bunch of extra rules for SEE.

In regards to story time. Your kids are young and will get a lot more out of your story time if you Mimi the story and use as much ASL as you know. Don't worry about following the words on the page. Take the concept and design your story around that. Imagine you are showing them the story instead of telling them the story. They will even help you out! :D

Be sure to do this voice off. Everyone should be included in the story telling. Kids love to get involved in this kind of animated story telling. You will also be surprised how easy this becomes after a few times. You may notice with ASL story telling, the story teller often creates a way to show a character without putting the words to sign.

Wish I could help you more.

I have been using pure ASL with my hearing son for years when reading him books. Right now, he is in kindergarten and getting all kinds of awards for top literacy skills. I refused to use SEE with him.

SEE not real language for deafs people. ASL is real LANGUAGE for deafs people bec they understanding ASL better. SEE not easy for understand and too fuck complicate elaborating. not make sense for using SEE for deaf children. you use ASL is quick and clear for children understand.

SEE not real language for deafs people. ASL is real LANGUAGE for deafs people bec they understanding ASL better. SEE not easy for understand and too fuck complicate elaborating. not make sense for using SEE for deaf children. you use ASL is quick and clear for children understand.

The OP is new to ASL. She is struggling with story time with her kids. With little or no ASL could you tell story from story book?

I appreciate all of the responses. Honestly I am just nervous to the point of not wanting to do story times :-( it is not necessarily a have to and since there are usually so many tantrums and fighting going on I am surprised they all sit for a 20 page story 3 to 4 nights a week. I just want this to be the best beginning my little nuggets can have, and I am afraid that with me taking so long to learn ASL it is going to hurt us all. I will stick with what I know. I have been reading the PSE and it seems kind of like what I have seen his teachers do with him (his evening class). So hopefully I can maybe get some tips from them. Once school starts back up and I get to sit in on class time hopefully I can learn some stuff from them as well.

Are you more confident with SEE right now? Reading is great for many reasons, beyond just family bonding time. If you're more confident with SEE, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use what you know and are comfortable with right now. Maybe pick shorter books with your younger ones, and read a more age appropriate book with your oldest daughter.

If you are going to read books out loud to him, I see no reason to not provide him with the visual clues to allow for immediate understanding. I think it's better to do that than abandon storytime all together.

Maybe if you pick some shorter books you can read them out loud at first, then give it a shot in ASL. The more you practice the more fluent you will become. It just takes time and effort.

One other sidenote- when he gets the FM you can use it at home (the SD might give you a hard time, but the law provides for that) and it will make it a bit easier for him to hear you.

Obviously there are people who disagree with me, but this is my perspective.

ok my bad sorry. i read again and OP not knowing enough ASL. trying practice first, it not hard. you use many body movement and very expressive too sign with imagery!!! before night time your kids bedtime, you sit front of mirror and pick book. then you read and try your best ASL practicing front mirror. my opinion ASL best for children learn first. not getting stressed out about ASL. just continuing practicing front mirror and watching youtube video copy deafs person ASL, or ASL website. also you go hanging out with deaf people. you having deaf friend???? if you hanging around them much, then you becoming very skill pick up ASL.

I am comfortable with SEE only because that is how I have been teaching myself. It's pretty much the only thing I know right now. Although I have been to several different websites and ordered several dvds where I have picked up a few things.

Not just for stories sake, I want to become efficient in ASL. That is my number one goal to understand and communicate 100% with my son(s?) and I want my other children to do the same. Unfortunately, I don't have any one to practice with.

I found a website that sells dvds of signed stories so I will try this out. That will probably help out a lot.

Not understand why anyone still advocate use SEE as helpful tool use with / pre ASL. Only gives child much unlearn before can learn ASL.

Just curious- what is there to "unlearn"? SEE is a mode of English which is necessary to be proficient in, at least here in the U.S.

I am comfortable with SEE only because that is how I have been teaching myself. It's pretty much the only thing I know right now. Although I have been to several different websites and ordered several dvds where I have picked up a few things.

Not just for stories sake, I want to become efficient in ASL. That is my number one goal to understand and communicate 100% with my son(s?) and I want my other children to do the same. Unfortunately, I don't have any one to practice with.

I found a website that sells dvds of signed stories so I will try this out. That will probably help out a lot.

good for ya!!!! i am proud you, keep up practicing ASL from dvd and website, you will become improve soon. :thumb: where you live? maybe there deaf community near you, or you look for asl tutor onlin. there have many ASL tutor using skype.

Just curious- what is there to "unlearn"? SEE is a mode of English which is necessary to be proficient in, at least here in the U.S.

SEE have entire different grammar structure ASL. For deaf child, I assume parent goal child learn ASL. If parent start teach SEE (as my parents did me) then it much unnecessarily harder learn proper ASL grammar later on. I know I struggle even now with proper ASL grammar because SEE my first "language". I sign pretty much exact same I type - which I know not proper English or ASL grammar. I just look stupid both. Unlearn involve grammar structure - children (especially mainstream) receive so much English grammar school, home, daily life already. We only get ASL grammar deaf community. Use SEE take away from opportunity learn use ASL grammar. Then, when child realise deaf people actually use ASL, only hearies use SEE (mostly), and they want learn ASL, is big struggle unlearn sign with SEE grammar. At least, this my experience.

Now, this be said, my parents know zero sign before I born. They learn sign, teach me. Choice between SEE and no sign, I pick SEE because at least give me vocabulary. But is horrible grammar-wise.

SEE have entire different grammar structure ASL. For deaf child, I assume parent goal child learn ASL. If parent start teach SEE (as my parents did me) then it much unnecessarily harder learn proper ASL grammar later on. I know I struggle even now with proper ASL grammar because SEE my first "language". I sign pretty much exact same I type - which I know not proper English or ASL grammar. I just look stupid both. Unlearn involve grammar structure - children (especially mainstream) receive so much English grammar school, home, daily life already. We only get ASL grammar deaf community. Use SEE take away from opportunity learn use ASL grammar. Then, when child realise deaf people actually use ASL, only hearies use SEE (mostly), and they want learn ASL, is big struggle unlearn sign with SEE grammar. At least, this my experience.

Now, this be said, my parents know zero sign before I born. They learn sign, teach me. Choice between SEE and no sign, I pick SEE because at least give
me vocabulary. But is horrible grammar-wise.

But why not approach it as two distinct languages- English and ASL? Why not teach the child that there is a difference? They can grow up bilingual.... Isn't the bi-bi philosophy all for students learning English and ASL?

And all the suffixes -- "ing", "ed", etc. are totally not used in ASL. It's just more work. Sunny's right -- the individual signs and grammar structure are totally different.

But why not approach it as two distinct languages- English and ASL? Why not teach the child that there is a difference? They can grow up bilingual.... Isn't the bi-bi philosophy all for students learning English and ASL?

You see English and SEE as English. Use the written (and spoken, if desired) form of English as English, and use ASL for sign. If you want to approach English and ASL as 2 separate languages (which they are), why does SEE need to come into play here, then? SEE and ASL cannot be lumped together.

That is approach...English and ASL. No real need use SEE. If you use bilingual, great, use English and ASL. If you sign, use ASL, not SEE. SEE just confuse. I promise you. I grow up use SEE home, ASL school, lipread everywhere. SEE cause most confusion by far.

And all the suffixes -- "ing", "ed", etc. are totally not used in ASL. It's just more work. Sunny's right -- the individual signs and grammar structure are totally different.

Yes, syntax is different and ASL doesn't use the prefixes/suffixes etc. However many if not majority of the base signs in SEE are the same as in ASL. That's why I'm expressing my opinion that the child can and should be taught the difference between ASL and English.

Yes, syntax is different and ASL doesn't use the prefixes/suffixes etc. However many if not majority of the base signs in SEE are the same as in ASL. That's why I'm expressing my opinion that the child can and should be taught the difference between ASL and English.

Agree. Why SEE necessary make this distinction though?

You see English and SEE as English.
Yes, I do. SEE is another mode of the English language.
Use the written (and spoken, if desired) form of English as English, and use ASL for sign.
When English is spoken around a child who is DHH, SEE can be used as a supplement to allow for immediate understanding. It can allow for a child to begin to internalize the rules and grammar of English, beyond allowing them to have access to the spoken language surrounding them.
If you want to approach English and ASL as 2 separate languages (which they are), why does SEE need to come into play here, then? SEE and ASL cannot be lumped together.

SEE doesn't "need" to come into play. However if it does it can assist a child in learning English. I'm all for the use of ASL, however I value English as well. I also would want all DHH students to be on a level playing field. They won't be if they aren't proficient in English. Obviously we have differing opinions, so we can agree to disagree.

Agree. Why SEE necessary make this distinction though?

If a child is going to be surrounded by spoken English, SEE would make that accessible for them. Otherwise they'll pick up bits here and there with no real meaning.

We certainly can agree to disagree. But, let me ask you then ... why do so many of us on this board, including myself, have perfect English despite never having been exposed to SEE? I learned ASL and English (and spoken language) all at the same time, and all before kindergarten. Many others here are the same.

Back