ASL SEE question

We certainly can agree to disagree. But, let me ask you then ... why do so many of us on this board, including myself, have perfect English despite never having been exposed to SEE? I learned ASL and English (and spoken language) all at the same time, and all before kindergarten. Many others here are the same.

I've never criticized anyone's English here, or anywhere for that matter. There are many ways to achieve an end. This is just one.

I've never criticized anyone's English here, or anywhere for that matter. There are many ways to achieve an end. This is just one.

I understand. I was saying only that SEE isn't necessary to learn perfect English which is what CSign seems to be getting at. And for those of us who didn't have SEE, we can STILL have good English.

I understand. I was saying only that SEE isn't necessary to learn perfect English which is what CSign seems to be getting at. And for those of us who didn't have SEE, we can STILL have good English.

If you'll read my posts, you will note that I said it was not necessary. I also never stated that without it you won't have proper English skills. I stated that it can be a useful tool in bridging the gap between the spoken word and a child who is DHH.

I had a hard time grasping the concept of using SEE when I was a kid. That's how I lost my interest in reading books back in my time when I used SEE. I met someone else who have deaf family and got me hooked on reading books after i use ASL. Indeed, I understood better in my head with crystal pictures of concepting what books are all about. So i started all over again with correcting my english by ASL. Pshew.

If a child is going to be surrounded by spoken English, SEE would make that accessible for them. Otherwise they'll pick up bits here and there with no real meaning.

This so not true. ASL accessible deaf children. Spoken English/SEE accessible hearing children and/or hearing parents who think what most easy them same what most easy deaf child.

CSign, you know I like you very much, think you great, but seriously...deaf people here tell you our experience grow up this way. Please listen what we tell you. SEE confusing for deaf children. It not help us learn English. Opposite true, in fact.

AlleyCat English better my English. She not have SEE, I have SEE. :hmm:

SEE not real language for deafs people. ASL is real LANGUAGE for deafs people bec they understanding ASL better. SEE not easy for understand and too fuck complicate elaborating. not make sense for using SEE for deaf children. you use ASL is quick and clear for children understand.

Don't be inappropriate swearing to

please ! be careful sound!

btw

SEE is very not development to is very not work sense on clear not perfect to work! SEE hearing to cultures sound!

ASL to deaf!

If a child is going to be surrounded by spoken English, SEE would make that accessible for them. Otherwise they'll pick up bits here and there with no real meaning.

Not necessarically. I learned SEE before I learned ASL and I had a lot of unlearning to do.. As for my English, I already had excellent English skills before I learned SEE at age 12 or 13.

Don't be inappropriate swearing to

please ! be careful sound!

btw

SEE is very not development to is very not work sense on clear not perfect to work! SEE hearing to cultures sound!

ASL to deaf!

smithtr,

calm down. i not insult attack to member or whatever. i just say SEE confuse for deafs people. i agree you, better if deaf use ASL bec easy understand and clear. i use ASL grow up.

Not necessarically. I learned SEE before I learned ASL and I had a lot of unlearning to do.. As for my English, I already had excellent English skills before I learned SEE at age 12 or 13.

yes you of course your experience perecpetive skills prove ! you already!

great! you experience preview past your skills pasts

I also I learn it 12 to 14 ages depend to lots of problems troubles SEE difficult I tell you

smithtr,

calm down. i not insult attack to member or whatever. i just say SEE confuse for deafs people. i agree you, better if deaf use ASL bec easy understand and clear.

Don't worry :D Great no problem i tell you careful words I tell you courage to somethings Mynameisno :)

long times wow whoa patients not easy! hard times!! not easy, Jillio experiment clevers study!

yes you of course your experience perecpetive skills prove ! you already!

great! you experience preview past your skills pasts

I also I learn it 12 to 14 ages depend to lots of problems troubles SEE difficult I tell you

I agree!

smithtr,

calm down. i not insult attack to member or whatever. i just say SEE confuse for deafs people. i agree you, better if deaf use ASL bec easy understand and clear. i use ASL grow up.

He said he doesn't like your obscene language. And I think there are rules. Why don't you understand him?

A child does not have the choice in what he or she learns. Those of us that have lived through this are the best ones to give feedback on what we would have benefitted the most from. I strongly feel that focusing on SEE is the wrong way to go. Stay focused on ASL even if your signing is not good. As your child grows and develops he or she will correct you. SEE is not a language. ASL is a language. The earlier a child is exposed to a language the better their language skills will be. English will come later. If you look at deaf children from deaf parents you will see a huge difference in language skills. You will also see a difference in how well they pick up English. Do your child a favor, take what little ASL you know and use it. Fill in the gaps with gesturing and miming, as you grow in ASL and your child grows, you will both benefit and enjoy a much closer relationship and more meaningful conversations.

I have deaf friends (deaf since birth) that have hearing parents. One in particular has much better English than I do and is an accomplished author already. Her parents have such terrible ASL skills that I can hardly stand to watch her sign. But the key is that they do sign to the best of their ability and their sign is ASL.

This is why I believe that any ASL even low skilled ASL is better than SEE for learning their first language. Once you have language, you can build on that and learn English or other languages.

So OP, please do continue with your story hours. Do the best you can and you won't go wrong. Because, it's not the quality of your ASL skills, it's the quantity of your interaction with a natural language like ASL.

Does cheetah consulting services cost? If so I just sent 100 antelopes your way :)

Thank you! The antelopes were very tasty! :D and since I cannot bury what I don't eat I used the reminding to pay off some lions! (they can be a bit temperamental). :giggle:

If I could be a cat I would be a serval.... hehe.

Anyways, thank you all again. I see the points on each side. It was never a question for me to substitute SEE for ASL forever, never my intention ,j it's just what I know, right now. Trust me I will be continuing my trek for knowledge and growth in ASL and I will get the babies up to speed as well even if it takes years and the eventual moving of my family.

Never my intention for anything to get heated around here (this thread lol) I was just wanting to ask for help :)

Blondon, I congratulate you on having story time with your children. That is SO important for so many reasons. The most important is the bond you will have and develop with them. Second is their discovery of language and imagination.

My father always used to read bedtime stories to us. I still remember those sweet times when he would read and ask us "what do you think happens next?" and so on.

Unfortunately he died when I was still a young child, but to this day - more than half a century later - I still have those cherished memories.

I don't have an opinion on ASL/SEE/anything else, but I DO have a very strong opinion about the value of these times with your children. Guess I'd say don't worry about whether your ASL is good enough or your SEE will be confusing. You can work that out as you go. But do not give up these times; you are benefiting your children with memories they will carry with them forever, regardless of how proficient you are.

....or your SEE will be confusing. You can work that out as you go.

Fabulous, BG. I love how you want to be so polite and so politically correct that you don't want to mention the years of un-doing SEE (I suppose that's the "working it out as you go"). I see clearly you didn't bother to read what the early-deafened who had to learn SEE and then unlearn it have said about it, or :roll: CSign's SEE thread. Nice job.

Back