ASL SEE question

This may start another issue and I hope it does not. I am looking at this from my POV. While I am trying to learn ASL and having family that mostly is unable or unwilling (kids are trying), I have taken to signing more PSE and knowing that if I do it that way I can easily switch to ASL. Am I wrong in this thinking. I had never ever thought of SEE, most especially after coming to AD. The reason I am doing it this way is so that my family will begin to learn the signs for specific things and I will remember the signs. I am running into more and more memory issues and I felt this was better for me.

Am I thinking wrong?

No. People need to use whatever works best for them. Besides, PSE is ASL signs with English word order - nothing wrong with that. People who say there is something wrong with that are dangerously approaching legalistic and elitist territory. I wish I could grasp ASL structure, but my brain has trouble doing it properly. I'm not ashamed of being primarily PSE - ASL people can still understand me and communicate with me and vice versa so that is all that matters in the end.

No. People need to use whatever works best for them. Besides, PSE is ASL signs with English word order - nothing wrong with that. People who say there is something wrong with that are dangerously approaching legalistic and elitist territory. I wish I could grasp ASL structure, but my brain has trouble doing it properly. I'm not ashamed of being primarily PSE - ASL people can still understand me and communicate with me and vice versa so that is all that matters in the end.

There is something wrong with using PSE with a young child who is still developing language. If that's all they are exposed to they won't have access to a complete language model- whether it be ASL or English. Adults using PSE is not an issue assuming they already have a solid foundation in a language.

There is something wrong with using PSE with a young child who is still developing language. If that's all they are exposed to they won't have access to a complete language model- whether it be ASL or English. Adults using PSE is not an issue assuming they already have a solid foundation in a language.

I agree. I was just answering her question as it relates to herself, which is how I understood it to be asked.

I agree. I was just answering her question as it relates to herself, which is how I understood it to be asked.

Very good Lily. I just wanted to be clear for anyone reading, since the OP was about children. I get what you are saying though.

Back