What drink did you have today?

I can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite...Johnnie Walker Blue Label. It costs $200 a bottle so it's not good for daily drinking but for a special occasion it is fantastic. It is aged in-barrel for 50 years and individually serial numbered.

For a regular friday night tipple I prefer Jameson!

Oh, I do remember having my screwdrivers with Absolut 100 proof vodka. Those and the salty dogs. Once I had a Suffering Bastard, but I got sicker than dog. Rum and I do not get along at all.

And I do remmy those White Russians that I loved so well...and in the 70's...Jack Daniels and Johnny Walker Red was popular, so was Wild Turkey. Absolut Vodka was a knockout....Cella and Reunite Semi-Dry White Wine...and God Forbid "Boone's Farm"! (when we were broke)....

It's been so long since I've drank alcohol, all these posters with their drink's favorites are really foreign to me! I'm out of the loop when it comes to alcohol/mixed drinks.

Well - in case no one knows, the screwdriver is vodka & OJ, salty dog is grapefruit juice and vodka and a suffering bastard is a drink with 7 different kinds of rum. Each kind will float on top of the other like oil & water. You drink in one chug (small glass, not a tall one) and you feel like a suffering bastard after you fall off the barstool. :giggle:

Well - in case no one knows, the screwdriver is vodka & OJ, salty dog is grapefruit juice and vodka and a suffering bastard is a drink with 7 different kinds of rum. Each kind will float on top of the other like oil & water. You drink in one chug (small glass, not a tall one) and you feel like a suffering bastard after you fall off the barstool. :giggle:

:laugh2: :laugh2:....could you hold ur liquor, Kristina?...After 2 drinks, I had to get help to even stand up!

:laugh2: :laugh2:....could you hold ur liquor, Kristina?...After 2 drinks, I had to get help to even stand up!

The night I had that, I was drinking until the bars closed on a Thursday night. I started out in Pompano Beach at a seminar for the bank I was working for, and then we came back to WPB and closed down the bars with our night of bar hopping. 5am and I get home, can't walk over a speed bump.:giggle: Had to go to work the next morning and after a training class, got to the branch and all I remember is the other teller mentioning to the construction guys cashing their paychecks is Don't worry about her, she's in the back paying reverence to the porcelain alter. :laugh2: Never had another drink after that.

Tonight I'm having some Scottish whisky (or whiskey - both are acceptable spellings). I prefer to drink single malt whisky where it comes from the same distillery, as opposed to a blended whisky which takes whiskies from different places and blends them into a single drink. This is because whisky is very much a drink based on geography. Using the same ingredients in a different place produces a different taste. The whisky I having tonight is called Talisker, which has probably the strongest taste of all the Scottish whiskies. It comes from the island of Skye and it comes with a punch! The aroma is sweet. It initially has a strong sharp bitter taste that changes into something more sweet as it lingers on in a delicious way in the mouth.
ProductImage.aspx

Tonight I'm having some Scottish whisky (or whiskey - both are acceptable spellings). I prefer to drink single malt whisky where it comes from the same distillery, as opposed to a blended whisky which takes whiskies from different places and blends them into a single drink. This is because whisky is very much a drink based on geography. Using the same ingredients in a different place produces a different taste. The whisky I having tonight is called Talisker, which has probably the strongest taste of all the Scottish whiskies. It comes from the island of Skye and it comes with a punch! The aroma is sweet. It initially has a strong sharp bitter taste that changes into something more sweet as it lingers on in a delicious way in the mouth.
ProductImage.aspx

yep yep, this is exactly what i hoped for, to this thread.
oh good description , probably not my 'type' i like sweet right on the intial palatte, for instance I like Arran 10 yo from Arran Island (yes it is geographically catergorised.
and Yes i prefer single malt whisky too..
Irish called whiskey with an 'e' Scots call it with no 'e' - whisky. they argue which is right...

I like bourbon too but that from America they distll it once, Scots do it twice, Irish three times. Vodka tend to be4 or 5 even 9 times (on the very top, top notch expensive kinds - true!)

I love Japanese Whisky, have a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 15 year old single malt. absolutely fantastic -their 20 yo was named worlds best some 5 years ago, too expensive so got a 15, which is close, just less aged nothing more...their 12 is incredible too. Havent had mine yet, its still in the box...

Bowmore 18 yo (had it 3 years ago) that was an amazing one, every single person tasted it commented its the best they've ever had...its that good. delicious...

oh good description , probably not my 'type' i like sweet right on the intial palatte, for instance I like Arran 10 yo from Arran Island (yes it is geographically catergorised.
Irish called whiskey with an 'e' Scots call it with no 'e' - whisky. they argue which is right...

I like bourbon too but that from America they distll it once, Scots do it twice, Irish three times. Vodka tend to be4 or 5 even 9 times (on the very top, top notch expensive kinds - true!)

I love Japanese Whisky, have a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 15 year old single malt. absolutely fantastic -their 20 yo was named worlds best some 5 years ago, too expensive so got a 15, which is close, just less aged nothing more...their 12 is incredible too. Havent had mine yet, its still in the box...

Bowmore 18 yo (had it 3 years ago) that was an amazing one, every single person tasted it commented its the best they've ever had...its that good. delicious...

I'm very pleased to find a fellow whisky connoisseur. Between us lets educate AD on the sublime pleasures of a wee dram :cheers:

I've tasted most of the Scottish & Irish whiskies, and a couple of American ones. I've never had a Japanese one so that's a gap I need to fill. My favourite Scottish whiskies are the Islay ones, so I've had Bowmore. My favourite is Lagavulin as I like big powerful whiskies, but sometimes I want something more subtle and gentle like Bruichladdich which was the first single malt I ever bought way back in 1988 (I still have a vivid memory of going into the shop and deliberating long and hard which expensive whisky to buy and feeling overwhelmed by the variety).

Here's a website explaining the different Islay malts.
Islay Malt Whisky and Islay Whisky Distilleries Map

Vodka is just Vodka. It is supposed to be neutral. No smell, no flavor. (in other words, just diluted ethyl alcohol.)

Oh, and I had a George T. Stagg bourbon last night. For a 141 proof drink it is very smooth along with its thick body. Oaky, vanilla, a bit of sweetness. Opens right up with a couple of ice cubes.

George-Stagg-225x300.jpg

I can't believe no one has mentioned my favorite...Johnnie Walker Blue Label. It costs $200 a bottle so it's not good for daily drinking but for a special occasion it is fantastic. It is aged in-barrel for 50 years and individually serial numbered.

For a regular friday night tipple I prefer Jameson!

not really 50. more of 25+. It's a blend of several whiskeys, and I would even bet some of the whiskey in the blend is not even from Johnny Walker.

I wonder if any connoisseurs look down on Wild Turkey American Honey as some sweet drink for those who cannot handle bourbon in its pure form? Although it is technically a liqueur which is supposed to be sweet.

I love that stuff. It starts off with a bourbon bang but finishes with a honey aftertaste.

I wonder if any connoisseurs look down on Wild Turkey American Honey as some sweet drink for those who cannot handle bourbon in its pure form? Although it is technically a liqueur which is supposed to be sweet.

I love that stuff. It starts off with a bourbon bang but finishes with a honey aftertaste.

Did you have to do that? Now you've done it. Making me cringe. I had one sip of that stuff. ONE.

(BTW, It's commendable that you made me cringe.)

Did you have to do that? Now you've done it. Making me cringe. I had one sip of that stuff. ONE.

(BTW, It's commendable that you made me cringe.)

Would it make you feel better knowing that stuff made me very drunk with no hangover in the next day?

I am partial to wine more than any other alcoholic drinks. I love Shiraz, Tempranillo, and Malbec. I do enjoy a Grand Marnier every now and then. I do make a mean Top Shelf margarita as well as a dirty mojito.

Would it make you feel better knowing that stuff made me very drunk with no hangover in the next day?

I am partial to wine more than any other alcoholic drinks. I love Shiraz, Tempranillo, and Malbec. I do enjoy a Grand Marnier every now and then. I do make a mean Top Shelf margarita as well as a dirty mojito.

Malbec of the guitar country is nice. Top Shelf 'rita, do tell.

Back