What did you do today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, considering houses go from ground up within 3 months.

When my parents built their house in 1996, it took 11 months from start to finish. Of course it was built smack in the middle of the woods on the side of a mountain, so trees had to be cut out, a driveway had to be built, then all of the electrical, gas, and water lines had to be drilled under the state highway and it runs alongside the driveway underground all the way to the house. It's also a two story house with redwood siding that had to be shipped in all the way from California. :shock:

The most time consuming thing was getting the plumbing in before they laid the foundation. Of course they were also trying to lay concrete in -20 degree weather too! That stuff just don't set up right in those kinds of temps.

Was this directed to me or Botti?

If it was me, then I checked online for all kinds of floor plans that would fit our dimensions. The contractor looked at them and then he recommended an architect and she took my floor plan and the other things we wanted and what the contractor mentioned and came up with the plans. We went over them three times already and I think they are final. The 3-4 things additional do not need to be on the plans.

It was to you. Sounds like you have made a very good start. Getting the plans done by an architect familiar to the contractor was a smart move; keeps everyone on the same page and you know you're not getting some totally unrealistic but "artsy" sort of plan.

Are you building in some "aging in place" ideas, like grab bars in the bath, wide doorways, lever handles on the doors, that sort of thing? Doesn't take very much extra money at all to put that stuff in during the building process, and will be so helpful. I LOVE our grab bars - and I'm not THAT old!! But it's just that extra bit of security, stepping out onto the tile floor with wet feet, and being able to hold the bar at the side of the tub for the transition.

It was to you. Sounds like you have made a very good start. Getting the plans done by an architect familiar to the contractor was a smart move; keeps everyone on the same page and you know you're not getting some totally unrealistic but "artsy" sort of plan.

Are you building in some "aging in place" ideas, like grab bars in the bath, wide doorways, lever handles on the doors, that sort of thing? Doesn't take very much extra money at all to put that stuff in during the building process, and will be so helpful. I LOVE our grab bars - and I'm not THAT old!! But it's just that extra bit of security, stepping out onto the tile floor with wet feet, and being able to hold the bar at the side of the tub for the transition.

I wish my grandparents would let us put in some aging 'upgrades' to their house but they refuse to. It wouldn't be all that difficult. As stumbly as my grandfather is, I would much prefer they have a ramp rather than stairs leading to the house and the outside doorways need to be widened. I don't know if the one by the kitchen can be widened as it is literally squeezed in between two counters than run the length of the kitchen. There's electrical on one side and plumbing on the other. However the door in the living room can definitely be widened. We can replace the current doorknobs with levers and a grab bar could be installed on the side wall of the bathtub.

Read the Thoughts on Deaf Education thread. I'm absolutely speechless now. :eek:

I wish my grandparents would let us put in some aging 'upgrades' to their house but they refuse to. It wouldn't be all that difficult. As stumbly as my grandfather is, I would much prefer they have a ramp rather than stairs leading to the house and the outside doorways need to be widened. I don't know if the one by the kitchen can be widened as it is literally squeezed in between two counters than run the length of the kitchen. There's electrical on one side and plumbing on the other. However the door in the living room can definitely be widened. We can replace the current doorknobs with levers and a grab bar could be installed on the side wall of the bathtub.

We are having grab bars installed in both showers. The contractor already has planned for the strobe smoke and fire alarms without me knowing. Light switches for my room and my bath will be on the outside of the room. He has already planned to round off corners. We had already planned for a totally open plan and wood floors. Mirrors will be placed in hallways, at my desk and in the living room. As far as the A/C goes, we are having return vents placed in hallways, bedrooms, living room and kitchen along with the A/C vents for cleaner air and fresher air. Downside is, more filters. Upside, less allergy and asthma attacks. Oh, we are also going to order the Sonic Boom alert system from Harris Communications for me as well. Better insulation than called for, 10 foot ceilings, and a lot of other stuff.

I think you've got yourself a gem. Seriously, good contractors are hard to find, and it sounds like this one has thought it through.

Wow! Not sure how they make any money taking that long. :dunno: now the three story beach house in 10 months isn't so bad because 3 story's are more difficult to build and the beach is tougher to build on. Plus permits and inspections on the beach can be tougher. But 4 1/2 months to finish out a basement sounds insane. For a burnt down home I could usually pull down and rebuild in 6 weeks.

Maybe I worked too hard.... :lol:

It took about 10 months to build our 3-story beach house, about 2100 sq. ft. (i.e, not huge at all) from the day the builder applied for the permit until we moved in. Probably 9 1/2 months of actual building; I think it took a couple weeks to get all the permits pulled.

Over the winter, in our other house, we had two bathrooms torn down to studs and entirely rebuilt, and our basement finished, including putting in a new exit window. All of that, in an existing house, took from November 1 - March 15, actual building. Planning and permits were done over the preceding spring and summer.

So 6 to 8 months doesn't sound out of the range of "normal," considering that some things will be bit harder than starting from scratch (like cutting into the foundation, as you said), while many things will be easier. If he's doing a good thorough job, it sounds about right.

Hope he can keep it closer to the 6 months side of that estimate.

Taking care of a new baby can be very stressful. I hope you enjoy your visit with your family.

thank you so much I hope be soon coming hope be hear news, tell you
Might her handle,
my brother law is work tough family complication sound great hear

Wow! Not sure how they make any money taking that long. :dunno: now the three story beach house in 10 months isn't so bad because 3 story's are more difficult to build and the beach is tougher to build on. Plus permits and inspections on the beach can be tougher. But 4 1/2 months to finish out a basement sounds insane. For a burnt down home I could usually pull down and rebuild in 6 weeks.

Maybe I worked too hard.... :lol:

Basement plus two bathrooms. The basement was finished fairly quickly. It included, due to county standards, having to excavate an outside area in order to install an exit window (instead of those typical dinky little basement windows, we have to have a window we can escape out of in case of fire - never mind that any sensible person would run out the attached garage, not struggle to climb out a window!!), plus a new enclosed laundry area that includes a "pet spa" tub and dog grooming area, plus a nice storage area, plus enclose the furnace and water heater. The ceiling was drywall, and he had to encase all the duct-work, which included building some framing for that. Tile floor in the entry, rubber floor for the rest of it.

The two bathrooms, especially the master, took the most time. They were both torn completely down to studs and re-done, with tile floor, beadboard wainscoting in master, heating system under floor in master, new tubs, toilets, vanities, tile in shower, etc, etc. That demolition and re-build of the bathrooms took by far the most time.

I am hard work project successfully I am very proud php and complication!
I am learn it!

Sounds nice. I haven't done heated floors so I know nothing about that. The difference was probably crew size like Kristina said. My biz did alot of insurance and FEMA work. I got paid more to get done quickly so we got done quickly. :lol: insurance companies hate paying those hotel/apt bills.

Basement plus two bathrooms. The basement was finished fairly quickly. It included, due to county standards, having to excavate an outside area in order to install an exit window (instead of those typical dinky little basement windows, we have to have a window we can escape out of in case of fire - never mind that any sensible person would run out the attached garage, not struggle to climb out a window!!), plus a new enclosed laundry area that includes a "pet spa" tub and dog grooming area, plus a nice storage area, plus enclose the furnace and water heater. The ceiling was drywall, and he had to encase all the duct-work, which included building some framing for that. Tile floor in the entry, rubber floor for the rest of it.

The two bathrooms, especially the master, took the most time. They were both torn completely down to studs and re-done, with tile floor, beadboard wainscoting in master, heating system under floor in master, new tubs, toilets, vanities, tile in shower, etc, etc. That demolition and re-build of the bathrooms took by far the most time.

I am hard work project successfully I am very proud php and complication!
I am learn it!

Good for you. I know you can learn anything you want to if you work at it. I'm glad your project is going well.

Wirelessly posted

I was looking forward to watching game one of the Stanley Cup online and couldn't find site bummer :( I even fixed a nice dinner to enjoy.

Good for you. I know you can learn anything you want to if you work at it. I'm glad your project is going well.
Thank I am very lots of heavy hard work I am rest I am pretty mind mess php I am very complication not easy I am study effort to template and style! Hope be best do it hard :)

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051-1.jpg

getting there should be done tmw, but will have to do some mortar work on the side then id fill in with dirt next week (but line it with the black poly-somethng plastic sheet first)

its actually much straighter than the photo, it was too dark to take the revised wall's picture..the actual wall have 3 slightly different styles, so it was quite a job to mix/blend it all together...but its definately a good looker...

heres the latest...
IMG_2063.jpg

and
IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051-1.jpg

getting there should be done tmw, but will have to do some mortar work on the side then id fill in with dirt next week (but line it with the black poly-somethng plastic sheet first)

its actually much straighter than the photo, it was too dark to take the revised wall's picture..the actual wall have 3 slightly different styles, so it was quite a job to mix/blend it all together...but its definately a good looker...

heres the latest...
IMG_2063.jpg

and
IMG_2059.jpg

That looks like some nice work Grummer! I'm sure it's going to look very nice once it is all completed. BTW - nice looking kitty you've got there! :lol:

Today, so far, I have gone to bank and done grocery shopping to last me until hopefully next Friday. (milk will be the issue) took a phone call from the surveyor and it seems that our Town Hall has more requirements than the County has, so he has to get more measurements done and it will be another 2-3 weeks for him to finish that up. I also bought a new Quicken program since my other would not run on Vista and I am getting ready to install it and get going again. Have to clean out the deep freeze from our accidental thaw job hubby did, but at least it will be squeaky clean for the new groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back