What did you do today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grummer, the photos are great !!! :)

(Of course, maybe my favorite part might be the cat, what with me being a crazy cat lady and all :lol: )

I am taking care of an out-of-town friend's pit bull for the weekend. Its name is Truman and so far it seems to have a sweet temperament. I think, though, he can sense my ambivalent feelings since Lord knows I have heard so much bad publicity about that breed of dog: it has spells of tail-wagging and cautious body language when near me. It is only until Monday, so I will be nice to it. I do not think I will ever want a pit bull for a pet, though.

I am taking care of an out-of-town friend's pit bull for the weekend. Its name is Truman and so far it seems to have a sweet temperament. I think, though, he can sense my ambivalent feelings since Lord knows I have heard so much bad publicity about that breed of dog: it has spells of tail-wagging and cautious body language when near me. It is only until Monday, so I will be nice to it. I do not think I will ever want a pit bull for a pet, though.

They're awesome dogs. Been around pitbulls all my life.

I've witnessed a child mauling and it was not a pitbull.

my gf is said told me stop it I am embarrassment! she siad many told me I was drink too many serious conflict to burn! not good medication

If he hasn't bit your hand off yet, you're probably good. :lol:

Seriously, if your friend has raised this dog to be a pet vs. an attack dog, he's probably a great dog. Of course he's going to be cautious near you; he doesn't really know you well and he's in an unfamiliar environment. He doesn't know what to expect from you.

Be sure to give him plenty of exercise; toss a ball for him to retrieve or go for a long run/walk with him. Don't play tugging games if you don't know him well; you want to have fun together, not in an adversarial kind of way, which is what tug games might teach.

Do you have plenty of doggie treats about? If you can show that you are just a human fountain of treats, he will probably fall in love with you within minutes. Just make sure he does something for those treats, even if it's as simple as "sit" or "down."

That's the NILIF philosophy: Nothing In Life Is Free.

They're awesome dogs. Been around pitbulls all my life.

I've witnessed a child mauling and it was not a pitbull.

We had a pit-bull who was very sweet. JD was more of a "lover" than anything.

If he hasn't bit your hand off yet, you're probably good. :lol:

Seriously, if your friend has raised this dog to be a pet vs. an attack dog, he's probably a great dog. Of course he's going to be cautious near you; he doesn't really know you well and he's in an unfamiliar environment. He doesn't know what to expect from you.

Be sure to give him plenty of exercise; toss a ball for him to retrieve or go for a long run/walk with him. Don't play tugging games if you don't know him well; you want to have fun together, not in an adversarial kind of way, which is what tug games might teach.

Do you have plenty of doggie treats about? If you can show that you are just a human fountain of treats, he will probably fall in love with you within minutes. Just make sure he does something for those treats, even if it's as simple as "sit" or "down."

That's the NILIF philosophy: Nothing In Life Is Free.

Oh boy. I just took him for a walk, and now I understand why I am a cat person. :shock: He needs a LOT of exercise and I suspect he feels the same applies to me as well. I just came back from a walk and run in the park and thank God right now he is all flopped out on the floor, no doubt dreaming up ways of wearing me out.
Beach Girl, thanks for the advice. I certainly won't arm-wrestle with him or anything like that, and in a short while I will go get some treats. He is a good dog and obeys my commands, though reluctantly sometimes, lol. Maybe some treats will help him come around to calling me Santa Claus in his dog language. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

:lol:

Pit Bull does definitely need a lot of work. It's #1 issue why the animal shelter I used to volunteer at is full of pit bulls. If you want to do short walk that will tire him out quickly - simply put a doggie backpack filled with water bottles or something bit heavier on him or take him to water park and throw ball/stick to water assuming that he's comfortable with swimming.

I think you are just nervous because his name is [Harry] Truman... with 2 atomic bombs :giggle:

:lol:

Pit Bull does definitely need a lot of work. It's #1 issue why the animal shelter I used to volunteer at is full of pit bulls. If you want to do short walk that will tire him out quickly - simply put a doggie backpack filled with water bottles or something bit heavier on him or take him to water park and throw ball/stick to water assuming that he's comfortable with swimming.

I think you are just nervous because his name is [Harry] Truman... with 2 atomic bombs :giggle:

By jove, I think that's it! :lol:

Oh boy. I just took him for a walk, and now I understand why I am a cat person. :shock: He needs a LOT of exercise and I suspect he feels the same applies to me as well. I just came back from a walk and run in the park and thank God right now he is all flopped out on the floor, no doubt dreaming up ways of wearing me out.
Beach Girl, thanks for the advice. I certainly won't arm-wrestle with him or anything like that, and in a short while I will go get some treats. He is a good dog and obeys my commands, though reluctantly sometimes, lol. Maybe some treats will help him come around to calling me Santa Claus in his dog language. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

The difference in speed of obeying a command alone vs. a command accompanied by treats can be mind-boggling! :lol: You'll find out...

My guys adore Pup-R-Oni pieces. They come in long sticks; I cut them up so each treat is about the size of a pencil eraser. Lots of treats per stick, so they get a lot of reinforcement of whatever I'm teaching them.

Pitties will probably also like some hard treats, like those bone-shaped things you can buy. Chomp, chomp... Better a treat than the leg of the couch.

There's a limit as to how much you can do to train someone else's dog, but another rule I enforce is dogs wait outside the kitchen while I am putting their food into the bowls, and they are not allowed into kitchen until I call. This is mainly because they are small and I don't want to trip over them going from fridge to counter to dog-feeding area, but it's a good rule for large dogs too, because you don't want to get pushed over if he gets excited about "here's dinner."

If the dog knows the "wait" command (put your hand up like "stop!" right toward his face) this should be easy to enforce.

Worked, came home and cleaned the house, did some organizing, ate dinner, got on AD and soon will watch the College softball world series games. I dont want to go to work at my 2nd job tmw...ugh!

I cant wait until TheWriteAlex is all moved in, when my mom and daughter fly in next Friday, the get together at Kings Dominion on Sunday with friends and family, and best of all..the end of the school year! Two weeks to go! Hurrrrrryyyy!

I worked all day. Now I'm about to work on an English essay. Fun stuff... June sucks.

crap on my pants annoy many odd seems stranger medication drug on cause affect emotion!

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051-1.jpg

getting there should be done tmw, but will have to do some mortar work on the side then id fill in with dirt next week (but line it with the black poly-somethng plastic sheet first)

its actually much straighter than the photo, it was too dark to take the revised wall's picture..the actual wall have 3 slightly different styles, so it was quite a job to mix/blend it all together...but its definately a good looker...

heres the latest...
IMG_2063.jpg

and
IMG_2059.jpg

Is it common to have that corrugate steel walls in your area? It's ugly to have that up but indeed that you did a nice job Grummer.

Worked at my 2nd job from 7 am to 4 pm, then I mowed. And trimmed the front and backyards , put the laundry away, cleaned up the house, watered my surving flowers, and now watching college softball on tv with beer. My son is laying on me on the couch. Very nice!

Took a client to a consultation with a SS attorney, came back and did some paperwork I was putting off, and have had laundry going the rest of the afternoon! Yay! Clean sheets to sleep on tonight!

Now, I think I am going to go relax and read.

Wirelessly posted

Did an early zumba class, came home washed up, did laundry, cooked breakfast, fold laundry and now, relaxing following the Stanley Cup online no live streams bummer!

A lot of walking both this morning and this evening....should sleep well tonight.

Chew some antacids.

I was better! I found it conflict to eating and pop I aware it
my gf told me no more pop I was embarrassment! I am addiction strong addiction pop:lol: my gf knew me many time often! I spoken to communication to my gf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back