Watch Your Kids Numb Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think - hope- it was a difficult decision to make. They say they would do it again...maybe examining their safety protocols is something for them to look at, too. I don't know if even distracting the gorilla on a different side of the enclosure would have given them enough time for a tranq. to work without also affecting the safety of the child. I do wonder why they didn't attempt to lure him into his indoor area, close the gate/panel, and then have a keeper come in and get the kid. But I don't know, he could have simply hauled the kid in there with him and then you have them both in an enclosed space. Really hard thing to figure...but in the end, as tragically happens, the animal loses....
I heard they did try to get him into the indoor area, along with the females. Apparently he thought the kid was more fun than anything the zookeepers had to offer. :/

I heard they did try to get him into the indoor area, along with the females. Apparently he thought the kid was more fun than anything the zookeepers had to offer. :/
Yes, they were able to lure the females with food on a pole but the male ignored it.

Ohhh, ok, see I didn't know that, :ty: for explaining. I guess gorillas - like people and dogs - can be fascinated by novelty. I imagine he wondered what the h#@l it was that landed in his space, and I know mature adult males can be very territorial. Sad all the way around...

It's very tragic that an animal was killed b/c of one human not using her brain ! I heard that it being looked into if any charges will be press but the news didn't say who
this would be against. Some animal expert said the zoo need to made the bar higher so this won't happen again. Has anyone been to this zoo?

My mom would have jumped in and took on the ape herself. Anything to save little Woody. :D

It's very tragic that an animal was killed b/c of one human not using her brain ! I heard that it being looked into if any charges will be press but the news didn't say who
this would be against. Some animal expert said the zoo need to made the bar higher so this won't happen again. Has anyone been to this zoo?

why so quick to judge..
accidents do happen, kids that age can and often do slip parents eyes or graps..
how does this insedent actually reflect on the mothers intelligence?

the rush to judge the mother ive seen online on various forums stinks like mob justice...rather then rational investigation and presumed innocence.

I saw on an difference news station that the police are going to see if the boy parents were at fault in anyway.

Deleted. I may have mis-read the post I was responding to.

Last edited:
I saw on an difference news station that the police are going to see if the boy parents were at fault in anyway.
Manslaughter is probably too harsh. Mandatory parenting classes should suffice. :D

Zoos need an electric fence to keep the most dangerous animals out.... Humans.
Jolt their stupid asses for climbing on shit they shouldnt be on.... Hire extra security with high powered stun guns, just zap everyone for crossing that line painted in front of the enclosures...... Zzzzzappp, Craaaaackle....sizzle. Max, we got another Homo that violated zoo ground regulations!

Ok, I just watched the video and the Gorilla posed absolutely no threat to the little boy. He was trying to protect him. He even held his hand and stood him up. he may have been a bit rough (to human standards) but it was clear the Gorilla meant absolutely no harm to this little boy whatsoever. The boy only got a few bumps.

A similar incident happened in 1996 where a 3 year old fell into a Gorilla pit and was knocked unconscious. A Gorilla by the name of Binti Jua picked the boy up and cradled him and carried him to Zoo personnel. She was trying to rescue theboy - and I believe Harambe was attempting to do the same thing.

It was a bad call by the Zoo.

I think - hope- it was a difficult decision to make. They say they would do it again...maybe examining their safety protocols is something for them to look at, too. I don't know if even distracting the gorilla on a different side of the enclosure would have given them enough time for a tranq. to work without also affecting the safety of the child. I do wonder why they didn't attempt to lure him into his indoor area, close the gate/panel, and then have a keeper come in and get the kid. But I don't know, he could have simply hauled the kid in there with him and then you have them both in an enclosed space. Really hard thing to figure...but in the end, as tragically happens, the animal loses....

Thought I had read somewhere that they did try to 'lure' him into the indoor area but he wouldn't go.

I did read something that before that happened, witnesses say they heard a verbal exchange between the 4 year old and the mother- he wanted to go in there, she said no back and forth and that he crawled UNDER the barricade- there was a gap at the bottom apparently. Another witness saw him just as he got in and SHE tried to grab him but couldn't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/30/u...-enters-enclosure-at-cincinnati-zoo.html?_r=0

What happened required a split second decision. Just because the video showed that the gorilla was being 'gentle' doesn't mean it will continue to be gentle with him; unpredictable things can happen. I don't blame the zoo for their split decision decision however devastating it was- and it was.

I will say it sure has struck a firestorm- it has some of my friends at each others' throats sadly. Hate that people will still villify both the zoo and the parent for what happened. Pretty sure the mother will feel horrible for the rest of her life and realize that it could have been the boy that was dead. Why add to that?

Gorillas are naturally not gentle beings even if it LOOKS like they are- they have the capacity to not be.

Best solution? Get rid of Zoos entirely.

Ok, I just watched the video and the Gorilla posed absolutely no threat to the little boy. He was trying to protect him. He even held his hand and stood him up. he may have been a bit rough (to human standards) but it was clear the Gorilla meant absolutely no harm to this little boy whatsoever. The boy only got a few bumps.

A similar incident happened in 1996 where a 3 year old fell into a Gorilla pit and was knocked unconscious. A Gorilla by the name of Binti Jua picked the boy up and cradled him and carried him to Zoo personnel. She was trying to rescue theboy - and I believe Harambe was attempting to do the same thing.

Dragging thru the water isn't protective action.

absolutely no threat?

how can anyone claim that about any animal?

how easy is it for an adult human being to injure a child of that age?

what is the strength and weight differences between an adult gorrila and an adult human?

how fast can a human change from a state of contentment to one of aggressive violence?
how fast can a caged goirrlia change from a state of contentment to one of aggressive violence?

does a child of that age stand a chance if a human changes states while in possession of a child?
does the child stand a similer chance or a better chance while being held by a gorrila if the gorrila changes from a state of contentment to one of aggressive violence.?

we rarely can even state absolute safe in regards to humans...
i very much doubt absolute anything can be stated with confidence when dealing with a caged non domesticated animal of a gorrilas strength and size as opposed to the strength and size of the child.

i spend allot of time throwing humans around...
its part of my job..

this gorrila could crush cocunuts with its barehands, and looking at how it was dragging around that child. it could easily smash the kid against the concrete or toss him around like a rag doll.

absolute is not a good word to sue in regards to captive humans...
it certainly isnt a good word to use in regards to captive wild animals...

if a human stranger was dragginmg around that child the same way, along the concrete, through water so on..
would the humans behavior be considered a danger to the child or would be considered absolutely no threat?

if police where called to a situation where an adult human was draggign around a child the same way, and the human refused to let the child go, and dragged the child the same way as the gorrila did, along concrete, through water so on..

what would be the police response?

would the response in dealing with a stranger dragggn around a child on the ground and beign non complaint be any different then the response to a caged wild animal doing the same?

interesting questions absolutely...

dragging a child liek that along concrete and through water is in now way shape or form safe

the child is very lucky..
his momma should bring him to the ponies and play big...
with his luck....
the sky's the limit...

I'm thinking all of us here have taken way more time than the zoo officials to make the decision. I really gotta support them cuz the child is alive, therefore, mission accomplished.
A debate might ensue on ways to make the place safer and as for the hate directed at the Mom, a place like this should be safe enough for the kinds of movements little kids make, darting here and there.....I'd reserve judgement there, too....

Dragging thru the water isn't protective action.

After pulling the boy away from the corner, the gorilla then checked the boy over, even held his hand and stood him up.

I thought the ape was gonna rape him when he stood him up ( thats what they do naturally ) but the dragging around the kid... thats their way of showing intimidation, was waiting for the ape to start throwing and trashing the boy, he wasnt leaving the moat and he was aggitated....
Has anyone watched an ape eat? just squish a coconut with its hands like a grape to us? That kid was in danger from the second he fell. Now tell me, if you fell into a pit of Cobras, those innocent looking snakes are gentle giants, no harm if not provoked? Yeah ok, keep believeing wild animals are no harm til provoked..... otherwise the zoo keepers would be going in there and petting them too.... stupid people . If I was caged and something came in I didnt know, Im on defense and Im looking for a way out too.... ( will you let an intruder into your home? Will you stay locked in your home? not really their home )

Oh, and in real life, have you seen what a male gorilla does to a baby gorilla that he does not accept into his group even if its his own offspring? Look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back