Vibrations

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Is it true that deaf folks can feel sound via vibrations? In the movie Children of a Lesser God, a HOH and deaf woman both dance to music because they experience the vibrations of sound.

Is this reality? Can you do the same? :confused:

41VQ2GAM62L.jpg

Yep! You can blow up the balloon and hold the balloon. You can feel the vibration!

"Feeling" sound waves isn't unique to deafies. Sound is vibrations carried through air, water, and solid objects. Most everybody feels these constant sound waves with other parts of their bodies, but since most people's hearing apparatus is most receptive to sound, they tend to dismiss the other sensors.

Most deafies rely more on the other sensors, so we tend to be more aware of vibrations.

For instance, my alarm clock vibrates a small pad between my mattress and box springs. But hearies can feel it, too. If I forget to tell someone, it can scare the heck out of her.

Oh yea! We Deaf people are more senstive to feelings things around us... so we feel the vibration thru various ways! I feel and see the music that would just get me a moving.. :dance:

For instance, my alarm clock vibrates a small pad between my mattress and box springs. But hearies can feel it, too. If I forget to tell someone, it can scare the heck out of her.

Yep, My son is hearing and he loves my alarm clock vibrator. He can't wake up with a regular alarm clock because he's a deep sleeper.

I used to be a bad-ass (rock'n) electric bass player when I was younger (not now). This was my dream bass guitar then- a Musicman Stingray:

TonyLevinbass2.JPG

But what I actually owned was a 1976 Fender Precision Bass. The image below is (was) not my actual instrument. It's an imposter photo:

Fender%20P%20bass.jpg

Plug one of those babies under your mattress and you'll wake up with a heart attack! :afro:

Yup !

actually it becomes a problem sometimes ... I am very sensitive to sound vibrations ... and it makes it hard when we do audiograms ... I can feel the sound (it tickles) but not hear it ... it's weird because I have trouble separating "hear" from "feel"

Even though I hear perfectly fine, I would love to own and use one of those alarm vibrators under my mattress. You see I sleep like a log. If I was at ground zero of an Atomic bomb detonation while in REM, I would continue counting sheep. Alarm clocks that buzz there weak bells-and-whistles can't cut it for me. But a heavy duty bed vibrator will do the job.

nfs-sha1.jpg

I adore my Sonic Boom .... you might want to try it.

The price has dropped significantly so it's actually very reasonable

I adore my Sonic Boom .... you might want to try it.

The price has dropped significantly so it's actually very reasonable

+1 Sonic Boom never failed me but I always keep on pressing 'snooze', then again, again... lol

When I lived in Colorado many moons ago. I would go out to the Cowboy bars to dance. I knew a Deaf gentleman that loved to Country swing. He was a great dancer, but I couldn't dance good enough for him.:wiggle:

Back