Those who decide not to get a CI

Thank you for the link .. It is a good thread , and I was reading it yesterday . But perhaps you misread or missed the first parts of my question. I was trying to get more information about a specific comment relating to a CI killing someone.
FYI, some of the deaf that are anti-CI go out of their way to state all the "bad things that could be associated with CI's" to try to scare some people out of getting them.

I grew up orally and never associated with other deaf people except for my brother and my best friend until I was 25 to 28 years old.
There are some hearing people out there that could think a particular deaf person speaks very well just cause they had the pre-conceived notion that deaf people couldn't talk. Such that when the deaf person talked or spoke it prompted a "you speak very well" reaction from some of the hearing.

In my opinion, I think people are taking that quote "Deaf people can do anything but hear" tooo literally.

King Jordan's meaning is that despite not being able to hear, deaf people are capable of doing a lot and the hidden message is "do not judge one's ability based on one's hearing."

No doubt. People need to let go of that concrete thinking and absorb the message behind the words.

It's okay if there are some things deaf cannot do, profession-wise. I cannot do many things because I'm short. Seriously...if I ever had a disability, it's being 5-foot tall and cannot reach anything. lol Not all jobs are meant for me. Such as being an ambulance driver. With my sense of direction (or more accurately, my lack of sense of direction) people will DIE because I'd never find the house in time to get there to save them.

But I will say this. If there were something I truly wanted to do, and deafness was the only thing in the way, I would find a way to do it. Somehow, someway. With all of the technology available to us, there isn't any reason why we can't find a way to accommodate ourselves in such that we can do what we are set out to do.

If I wanted to join the army, watch me. I'll find a way. Luckily for the United States, I'm not interested.

The simple fact of life is that everyone has limitations regarding what they can successfully do. One cannot become an artist without artistic talent. One cannot become a professional musician without musical talent. One cannot become a veternarian without natural scientific ability. And on and on and on. Deafness is the least of the things that get in the way. Now barriers that society places, that is another thing altogether.

GOddamn.......People getting butthurt over definitions of medical terms............ Get over it. Deaf people do not hear. They're DEAF........

Thank you.:ty: I hate those semantic games of trying to find another way to deny their deafness. All just another game of non-acceptance of reality.

Hmmm. I'm arguing not so much to prove a point, but because I have thought that while she might face some battles, there would be few if any true limitations based solely on my daughter's deafness (and sure, she might not qualify for all kinds of other reasons... :) ) . I suppose I have always bought into Jordan's quote and thought that most limitations are self- imposed. Or imposed by those around the individual who didn't allow for full exploration of potential. I never want to say to Li, hey, no use trying for that, you're deaf, you know?

I think your piloting activity is VERY cool, by the way.

When it comes to the limitations on the deaf, they are not self imposed. They are societal created barriers. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can advocate for your daughter in a way that will truly benefit her.

Isn't the central question: what does one do with the fact that one is deaf(silence)-now? Use hearing aids-if possible/Cochlear Implant OR use ASL/BSL/FSL etc. Yeah-even hand writing. What are the consequences to one's social/work environment from one's actions? Seems in the past hermits appeared to be an "alternative"-viable today? One's Free choice-what action? Mars anybody?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Where do people get the idea that deaf = silence? Even those with profound losses live in less than a silent world.

I see this alot in the hearing world. People say "I'm deaf" and they think the person hears virtually nothing. Then when the person responds to sound in some way, they get "You're not really deaf." And that leads to the deaf individual being treated as if they are "faking" their deafness.

I've got the same mentality. If there's something I'm truly passionate about and want to do, I'll find a way to do whatever I want. I just wished a lot more deaf/ hard of hearing, hell... even Hearing people, had that sort of mentality. (I used to think I wanted to join the Air Force, but I think luckily for the U.S., I'm not interested :naughty: )

As for not doing the CI, part of it is in defiance of my parents. Since they seem to think that getting a CI would "fix" my hearing "issues", as they like to put it. In other words, it would be an expensive and somewhat lazy way for them to not have to deal with it.

As for what why I really don't want to do the surgery, I don't want to lose what I already have. I've worked hard to get to where I am and am extremely proud of it. The odds are little be disconcerting for me and I can't seem to get myself to take that 'leap of faith', so to speak, to actually get the surgery. Plus, my audiologist said its not really worth the risk for me. So for now, I'm perfectly content with hearing aids. :D

I love this post...and the attitude! :)

I have said with that attitude, then these children are hearing children but some parents say "No no, my child is still deaf with a CI."

Whatever rocks their boat.

To me, any person with a hearing loss is Deaf or HOH.

And when it comes to the real world, making a distinction like "My kid is deaf but she/he can hear." is going to create more problems in the long run when it comes to dealing with the hearing population and getting accommodation. The first time you try to get educational accommodation because your kid is missing stuff in the classroom, that statement will come back to haunt you in a big, big way.

Where do people get the idea that deaf = silence? Even those with profound losses live in less than a silent world.

I see this alot in the hearing world. People say "I'm deaf" and they think the person hears virtually nothing. Then when the person responds to sound in some way, they get "You're not really deaf." And that leads to the deaf individual being treated as if they are "faking" their deafness.

This was also mentioned in that book by Padden/Humpries: Deafness in America: Voices from a Culture.

This was also mentioned in that book by Padden/Humpries: Deafness in America: Voices from a Culture.

Yep. I saw where you had mentioned that book earlier. It really should be mandatory for all hearing people that deal with deafness to read. (And some deaf would do well to read it, too.:giggle:)

No, but not all deaf consider themselves deaf during the hours they wear their HAs. They call themselves HOH (or hearing impaired) and they can't hear a thing without HAs.

I call myself deaf (or "I can't hear very well") because I struggle even with HAs or CI on. Even Amputee struggle with artifical legs. So that's why I asked, if there's accomodation that need to be address for the reason to refer them as deaf (as if they can't hear very well with CI) while they are wearing CI.. Unless you want to refer CI as accomodation. I still call them CI users though because If I was wearing hearing aids, people may give me the wrong accomodation because they met a CI who called themselves deaf but told them they can hear (which btw, I don't ever tell people I'm deaf or HOH unless I'm struggling).

0_61_pistorius_oscar.jpg

Picture: Double amputee (legs) with specialized running equipment in a track race with other (non-amputee) runners.

Re, NOT getting a CI

Hi;

Well, if the ear's natural cochlea is healthy, it seems a HA would be able to stimulate it.
My problem is single sided hearing and risk of breaking the auditory nerve if they should try removing an acoustic neuroma tumor.
I have NF-2.:shock:

And when it comes to the real world, making a distinction like "My kid is deaf but she/he can hear." is going to create more problems in the long run when it comes to dealing with the hearing population and getting accommodation. The first time you try to get educational accommodation because your kid is missing stuff in the classroom, that statement will come back to haunt you in a big, big way.

Yup

What are you recommending? Hiding the level of access to sound a child has with HAs or a CI?

What are you recommending? Hiding the level of access to sound a child has with HAs or a CI?

Rather it's better to let people know that your child can hear but inform them that just because a child can hear doesn't mean he/she hears easily just like a hearing person can. It's a matter of educating them on the spot instead of simply saying, "She can hear." Educating them is key. It never stops.

Rather it's better to let people know that your child can hear but inform them that just because a child can hear doesn't mean he/she hears easily just like a hearing person can. It's a matter of educating them on the spot instead of simply saying, "She can hear." Educating them is key. It never stops.

Absolutely.

Back