Those who decide not to get a CI

I recommend accepting reality.
Reality, in my child's case, is that she learns spoken language naturally, peripherally, and incidentally. She is deaf. And she can access sound and hear with the aid of her CIs. I make no claim that this holds true for anyone else with a CI or an HA, and you may not have ever witnessed this as a possibility in your experience, but it is true for us.

Wirelessly posted

and when the reality is that your child id able to understand the spoken language of strangers without lipreading, what do you say?

And can hold conversations on a cell phone.

Reality, in my child's case, is that she learns spoken language naturally, peripherally, and incidentally. She is deaf. And she can access sound and hear with the aid of her CIs. I make no claim that this holds true for anyone else with a CI or an HA, and you may not have ever witnessed this as a possibility in your experience, but it is true for us.

Talk to me in five years or so.

That's a pretty good reality, right there. Seeing it unfold before your eyes and ears. Nothing can compare to investing in 3, 4, 5 or 6 years of speech therapy seeing it'll pay off dividends for the next 70 years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxx1zd9Z8s]YouTube - cochlear beiber fever[/ame]

Baby

Ohh wooaah (3x)
You know you love me,I know you care
Just shout whenever, And I'll be there
You want my love, You want my heart
And we will never ever ever be apart

Are we an item? Girl quit playing
Were just friends, What are you saying
Said theres another, Look right in my eyes

My first love broke my heart for the first time,
And I was like
Baby, baby, baby ohhh
Like baby, baby, baby noo
Like baby, baby, baby ohh
I thought youd always be mine mine

Baby, baby, baby ohh
I thought youd always be mine,mine (oh oh)

For you, I would have done whatever
And I just can't believe, we ain't together
And I wanna play it cool, But I'm losin' you
I'll buy you anything, I'll buy you any ring
And im in pieces, Baby fix me
And just shake me til' you wake me from this bad dream

Im going down, down, down, dooown
And I just cant believe my first love would be around.

And I'm like
Baby, baby, baby ohh
I thought youd always be mine, mine
Justin Bieber Baby lyrics found on JUSTIN BIEBER - BABY LYRICS

Baby, baby, baby ohh
Like baby, baby, baby ohhh

Luda
When I was 13, I had my first love,
There was nobody that compared to my baby,
And nobody came between us or could ever come above
She had me goin' crazy,
Oh I was starstruck,
She woke me up daily,
Don't need no Starbucks.
She made my heart pound,
And skip a beat when I see her in the street and,
At school on the playground,
But I really wanna see her on the weekend,
She know she got me gazin',
Cuz she was so amazin',
And now my heart is breakin',
But I just keep on sayin'...

Baby, baby, baby ohh

Baby, baby, baby ohh

(I'm gone)
Yeah, yeah, yeah (6x)
(Now Im all gone, now im all gone, now im all gone)
Gone, gone, gone,(gone)
I'm gone.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
And can hold conversations on a cell phone.

My son holds conversations on a cell phone. And he does not have a CI, is only aided unilaterally, and is severe to profound.

My older sister could too which is why she thought she could hold down a job that use the phone a day. It became too much for her so she quit.

Reality is subjective. And extremely dependent upon what one wants to perceive.

Wirelessly posted

kokonut said:
No, but not all deaf consider themselves deaf during the hours they wear their HAs. They call themselves HOH (or hearing impaired) and they can't hear a thing without HAs.

I call myself deaf (or "I can't hear very well") because I struggle even with HAs or CI on. Even Amputee struggle with artifical legs. So that's why I asked, if there's accomodation that need to be address for the reason to refer them as deaf (as if they can't hear very well with CI) while they are wearing CI.. Unless you want to refer CI as accomodation. I still call them CI users though because If I was wearing hearing aids, people may give me the wrong accomodation because they met a CI who called themselves deaf but told them they can hear (which btw, I don't ever tell people I'm deaf or HOH unless I'm struggling).

0_61_pistorius_oscar.jpg

Picture: Double amputee (legs) with specialized running equipment in a track race with other (non-amputee) runners.

I've watched Amazing Race with an amputee and you get to understand the reality.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

and when the reality is that your child id able to understand the spoken language of strangers without lipreading, what do you say?

Wishful thinking and limited experience.

why do you think that you know my child better than i do? You have never even met her? Either you are claiming you know my child, or you are claiming that it is impossible for ANY ci user to do these thing. Which is it?

My son holds conversations on a cell phone. And he does not have a CI, is only aided unilaterally, and is severe to profound.

Do I need to specify spoken conversations in the context of my addition to FJ's statement, or are you referring to spoken language conversations?

If the latter, why then would you deny that a deaf child can 'hear'? What is it your child is doing on the phone?

Wirelessly posted
My older sister could too which is why she thought she could hold down a job that use the phone a day. It became too much for her so she quit.

There is a stark difference between having a phone "conversation" versus interacting fluidly with people over the phone that you do not know or those with unfamiliar voices (ie. strangers). Those who are able to have a "conversation" with certain familiar family members are usually limited in their responses and/or ability to get everything that's being said on the phone. Talking to Mommy with a familiar voice is one thing (and limited in many ways) versus talking to anybody you answer on the phone. The limitation is already there if one can only speak with certain familiar voices which means a more stilted phone "conversation" to begin with.

Wirelessly posted

why do you think that you know my child better than i do? You have never even met her? Either you are claiming you know my child, or you are claiming that it is impossible for ANY ci user to do these thing. Which is it?

You asked, I answered.

Why do you think your child is the one in a million exception, or that you are not extremely biased in your observations?

Do I need to specify spoken conversations in the context of my addition to FJ's statement, or are you referring to spoken language conversations?

If the latter, why then would you deny that a deaf child can 'hear'? What is it your child is doing on the phone?

My child is communicating. Very well, I might add. Communication is the important issue. Mode is not. Unless of course, it is a hearing parent with an obsession for speech.

yes, but her prosce *ahh, can't spell it* articifical limb got damaged in the process and it was hurting her. While they can do it, they still want acceptance. That mean, if they struggle and want a break, they need your understanding.

yes, but her prosce *ahh, can't spell it* articifical limb got damaged in the process and it was hurting her. While they can do it, they still want acceptance. That mean, if they struggle and want a break, they need your understanding.

Sure, yet the technology continues to improve that mimic very well with that of the natural movements and dynamics of a leg or arm in motion, as well as its functionality.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

You asked, I answered.

Why do you think your child is the one in a million exception, or that you are not extremely biased in your observations?

i don't. I know that there are thousands of implanted children who are doing as well as, and often much better, than my child.

Back