Those who decide not to get a CI

Nicolo Tesla did the first primitive CI with a nail and electric current. Hundreds of years ago. On himself. It worked. It was not permanent , just an experiment.

Tesla was deaf. So answer to your question .. Deaf!

Forgot purpose. To see if electric current could make him hear.

Can you get the link for this? I have been looking for it. I saw it somewhere but cant find it now. BTW it's Nikola Tesla :)

Cochlear implant

Volta's crazy experiments
Interest in stimulating hearing with electricity began with Count Volta in the 18th century. Volta, an Italian physicist who developed the electric battery, connected batteries to two metal rods that he inserted in his ears. In 1800 he described that when the circuit was completed he received a 'jolt in the head' and then a sound 'a kind of crackling, jerking or bubbling as if some dough or thick stuff was boiling' (Epstein:1989: 34). Not surprisingly, Volta found that it was quite uncomfortable and did not repeat the experiment too often!

Fifty years after Volta, a Frenchman, Duchenne of Boulogne, tried using an alternating current to stimulate his hearing and heard what he described as a sound like an insect trapped between a glass pane and a curtain.

Here is a little more information about this and other experiments.

Isn't it interesting that AGBad named their publication Volta Review?:hmm:

I remembered that after PFH asked me for a link to my statement about Tesla.

So it made sense it had to be Volta.

I think I was initially just done watching Sanctuary on Syfy. :lol:

:hmm:did not know this about the experiments/Volta
this is interesting to know - as well as what you wrote about AGBad, Jillio-

Back