Those who decide not to get a CI

Not that I have heard about. I don't know where to find that info. The deaf service center doesn't know, the school board is worthless for info, and I don't know where else to check. When you try and call the colleges, they are noting but automated and you never get a live person. The relay team has tried for me at least 15 times.

You know how to reach me. Get me the contact info. and I will contact for you with your questions, and relay the answers to you if you wish.

I thought you were too busy closing CI threads to be helpful to AD members. I'm confused, Jillio.

deafdyke: I took night classes(swing dance 7.00 TO 9.00PM)- RECENTLY at Danforth which is a highschool here in Toronto. I was a couple of classrooms away from the deaf/hearing class. I talked to the teacher who was interested in my Cochlear Implant while talking about the class and advised will be closing in 2 years as there is NO more students enrolled. That is reality here in Toronto. I didn't check IF the "intellectually disabled/autistic" kids are in LIFE SKILLS. That name as such-I never heard of. Not being intellectually disabled not interested in what the course entails.

Jillio that is productive-shrug more! no more comments! Are you interested in determining if "intellectually disabled" are a "cultural classification"? After answering back to shrugs!
Can you sustain that stance in 2011-New Years resolution?

As I mentioned a classroom B26 was used to teach Swing/Latin American dances which is why I was there in the first place. The teacher asked me about my Cochlear Implant and how long I had it. Did I think it helped? It was parents night which why he was in his class. There were no students there. Sorry I didn't it is necessary to consult you about this brief visit!
So you don't get excited-tomorrow I am going to Jimmie Simpson swimming pool -Queen Street Toronto- and practice deaf swimming

Talk about drivel

The implant operation happened July 12. 2007

When did you get your implant??? When was it activated?? What CI do you have??

DrPhill, that was my point. The night school simply reflects night school programming, and has nothing to do with the K-12 system, except that maybe it might be a "bridge" program for students who have graduated, but who may need extra help to get a job....or maybe it was a program specificly for solotaire kids who missed out on education.
Maybe they're consolidating it or offering another type of program somewhere else.
You presented it as "evidence" that deaf ed is dying. But night school programming isn't a reflection of anything. Say they stopped offering math skills or Spanish or French at that particular night school. That doesn't mean that those courses aren't of interest at other schools or other programs.

Love Blue:Where I did get my Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto.I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony which was activated in Aug/07.It is duly noted in every comment I make. Why did you ask it you knew it-sorry confused by your request.
deafdyke: The actual fact at Danforth - the deaf/hearing impaired class is closing in 2 years is just that. I had no interest in whether this is "system wide" in Metro Toronto or not.The night school system is just that- courses of Continuing interest to anyone who pays the fee. Computers/dances etc. It has been around for a long time. Part of the system is learning languages - AT NIGHT. I also mentioned there is ONE sign language course-Immediate 2. Northern Secondary( they don't have introductory ASL- this session) They also teach Arabic,Cantonese,French. German,Greek,Hebrew,Hindi,Italian,Japanese, Korean, Mandarin,Portuguese, Spanish and Tamil languages.
This is from the Winter catalog of Toronto District School Board.
If you want further info-website:learn4life.ca
I made NO such claim re Night school classes being anything but some persons may be interested in taking a specific subject. Whether your hypothesis is relevant to your country/city-no idea?
Amazing what is imputed to such a brief visit on Parents night! Enough

Implanted Advanced Bionics-=Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Love Blue:Where I did get my Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto.I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony which was activated in Aug/07.It is duly notedin every comment I make.
Yes, we know and are tired of reading about it every time we read your posts. Do us a favor, put it in your signature...not in your posts which are already hard enough to read. Better yet, just put it in your profile and then, if anyone is interested in knowing, they can check your profile. :ty:

Last edited:
Kristina, this might be helpful:

DHH Parent Support Group & Sign Language Classes

Scheduled meetings on selected Thursday nights from 6:30 – 8:00 pm at the Fulton-Holland Education Service Center at 3300 Forest Hill Blvd. West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Okay - Just called this place - the ASL classes are only for the parents of deaf or hoh students in the school district and the parents of hoh home school students do not qualify. I tried to get in that way with son's hearing loss, but no go for that. She did say that I would be very, very lucky to find any kind of ASL class for me in this area. There just aren't the opportunities for the adults who never learned or the late-deafened adults. It is something they were trying to work out, but with budget cuts, it was the first thing to be cut. She mentioned a school that was starting a new class and I might could get in there, but it means driving close to 100 miles to get there. Not sure with today's gas prices that I could wing that. Also, she mentioned that I would be the only deaf person there and it was mostly migrant workers who take the class or the people working the sugar farms.

Thats absurd, what happened to equality.... you have much right as parents of deaf kids... you want to learn ASL so that be it... In UK it's for everyone who wants to learn BSL.

KristinaB, I'm sorry to hear that.

I recently signed my daughter (hearing) and myself (severe-to-profound HoH) for ASL at the Delaware School for the Deaf which, luckily, is only about 5 minutes from my house. It is offered to the community, however, parents & staff of the school get priority "seating", so there's the chance that I'll get "bumped". I don't mind because I don't "need" ASL yet and they (the parents/staff) are more likely to use it than my daughter and I at this time.

I hope you can find something.

KristinaB, I'm sorry to hear that.

I recently signed my daughter (hearing) and myself (severe-to-profound HoH) for ASL at the Delaware School for the Deaf which, luckily, is only about 5 minutes from my house. It is offered to the community, however, parents & staff of the school get priority "seating", so there's the chance that I'll get "bumped". I don't mind because I don't "need" ASL yet and they (the parents/staff) are more likely to use it than my daughter and I at this time.

I hope you can find something.

I do qualify to take classes in ASL at the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, but it's a 4-5 hours drive one way.

I will stick with what I can online and hope that I can do more video chats with people to help.

Okay - Just called this place - the ASL classes are only for the parents of deaf or hoh students in the school district and the parents of hoh home school students do not qualify. I tried to get in that way with son's hearing loss, but no go for that. She did say that I would be very, very lucky to find any kind of ASL class for me in this area. There just aren't the opportunities for the adults who never learned or the late-deafened adults. It is something they were trying to work out, but with budget cuts, it was the first thing to be cut. She mentioned a school that was starting a new class and I might could get in there, but it means driving close to 100 miles to get there. Not sure with today's gas prices that I could wing that. Also, she mentioned that I would be the only deaf person there and it was mostly migrant workers who take the class or the people working the sugar farms.

Put up a notice at your local library and start your own class? Could make it an ASL class / social group kind of thing. These educational groups are really successful.

Kristina, that's not true. Call back and cite these law:

1006.15 - Extracurricular Activities "The Craig Dickinson Act

(c) An individual home education student is eligible to participate at the public school to which the student would be assigned according to district school board attendance area policies or which the student could choose to attend pursuant to district or interdistrict controlled open enrollment provisions, or may develop an agreement to participate at a private school, in the interscholastic extracurricular activities of that school. . . [followed by details]

1002.41(9) Testing and Diagnostic Services
0diggsdigg
(9) Home education program students may receive testing and evaluation services at diagnostic and resource centers, in accordance with the provisions of s. 1006.03(3).

Bottom line: public schools can't exclude home education students from their extracurricular activities.

Call the school district and request an evaluation. The school district has a limited time to provide you an evaluation. Your child may be enrolled part time for Exceptional Student Services. Specific info here:

http://www.flhef.org/pdf/ESEFAQ.pdf

Here's a low cost/free option for advocacy: (they request a suggested donation but offer a complimentary membership)

Homeschool Legal Advantage

Yay for sallylou! We are a rich in resources forum, aren't we?:wave:

Thanks, Jillio. When I lived in Colorado, homeschooling kids attended the "specials" at public schools during the school day (like art, music and PE). I don't know if Florida schools are required to provide those kinds of services. The advocacy group will be able to provide legal advice. I'm just providing a friend some information. :D

:thumb: Sally Lou

My child's school offers this as well to parents and staff -- I've taken classes in this way and it's wonderful. I believe it's grant-funded, so they define it as a program for "parents of ... " on paper, but in practice, they accept and encourage all.

Kristina, that's not true. Call back and cite these law:

Bottom line: public schools can't exclude home education students from their extracurricular activities.

Call the school district and request an evaluation. The school district has a limited time to provide you an evaluation. Your child may be enrolled part time for Exceptional Student Services. Specific info here:

http://www.flhef.org/pdf/ESEFAQ.pdf

Here's a low cost/free option for advocacy: (they request a suggested donation but offer a complimentary membership)

Homeschool Legal Advantage

Thanks, Jillio. When I lived in Colorado, homeschooling kids attended the "specials" at public schools during the school day (like art, music and PE). I don't know if Florida schools are required to provide those kinds of services. The advocacy group will be able to provide legal advice. I'm just providing a friend some information. :D

That is what it is all about.:P

Back