Those who decide not to get a CI

Really: factoring the high cost of "deaf education" with the decrease persons requiring this specialized service? In the night high school was in recently_Danforth- there is a class for the deaf/hearing impaired. It has 5 now and will be closing in 2 years. That is reality! This is discussed in Michael Chorost's book Rebuilt.
A Cochlear Implant is a bit different than a pacemaker and far more complicated-to my understanding. No sure the insurance on a pair Hearing aids VS Cochlear Implants. No comment. A complete replacement of the external package is just over $8650.00 CDN (Aug 2010)which covers one for 3 years. Reasonable?
Amusing for you to be "concerned" about implants considering you don't want one. Have you checked out the costs of prosthetic legs yet?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Ci = $50,000-100,000. Replacement $8000... Hearing aids $4000. They both are replaced usually at the same pace..
A lot of CI users still need the same accommodations that the hearing aid users have. So, it's just wasting money, really.

Really: factoring the high cost of "deaf education" with the decrease persons requiring this specialized service? In the night high school was in recently_Danforth- there is a class for the deaf/hearing impaired. It has 5 now and will be closing in 2 years. That is reality! This is discussed in Michael Chorost's book Rebuilt.
A Cochlear Implant is a bit different than a pacemaker and far more complicated-to my understanding. No sure the insurance on a pair Hearing aids VS Cochlear Implants. No comment. A complete replacement of the external package is just over $8650.00 CDN (Aug 2010)which covers one for 3 years. Reasonable?
Amusing for you to be "concerned" about implants considering you don't want one. Have you checked out the costs of prosthetic legs yet?

Deaf ed has provided thousands of jobs for deaf people so what is the problem?

Would you rather see deaf people working and earning money or collecting SSI because of discrimination against them in the general workforce?

And perhaps our Canadian members can tell us more, but I distinctly remember a law passing in Canada that allots more government sponsored services to children whose parents implant than to those that refuse.:cool2:

I'm in Manitoba - and that's certainly not the case here.

Children (and their families) are given equal access to resources regardless if they are aided or not (HA & CI).

I think that it's more a matter of some families are more aware of the services available to them - and because of the steps involved in CI evaluation, implantation and rehab/listening that these parents may in some cases be told about various services etc that aren't "advertised" to the general public/all Audies

Yeah, really.:roll:

I'm in Manitoba - and that's certainly not the case here.

Children (and their families) are given equal access to resources regardless if they are aided or not (HA & CI).

I think that it's more a matter of some families are more aware of the services available to them - and because of the steps involved in CI evaluation, implantation and rehab/listening that these parents may in some cases be told about various services etc that aren't "advertised" to the general public/all Audies

Thanks for clarification, Anji. Perhaps it was a proposal I was reading about. Been a couple of years.

Really: factoring the high cost of "deaf education" with the decrease persons requiring this specialized service? In the night high school was in recently_Danforth- there is a class for the deaf/hearing impaired. It has 5 now and will be closing in 2 years.
First of all,
in the night high school? what does that mean? Second of all, just b/c it's closing it doesn't mean that it's not still needed. If Canada is anything like the States educational placement is VERY political. Meaning the mainstream school REALLY wants the extra money that a disabled kid brings. But they don't nessarily want to provide appropreae services. They just want to provide minimal accomondations. They don't generally like to alert parents to dhh programs/schools, so in turn that means that many parents aren't aware of the option.
I actually even know of a hoh kid (just hoh) who is in a LIFE SKILLS (one of the programs for intellectucally disabled/autistic kids in high school) for high school.

deafdyke: I took night classes(swing dance 7.00 TO 9.00PM)- RECENTLY at Danforth which is a highschool here in Toronto. I was a couple of classrooms away from the deaf/hearing class. I talked to the teacher who was interested in my Cochlear Implant while talking about the class and advised will be closing in 2 years as there is NO more students enrolled. That is reality here in Toronto. I didn't check IF the "intellectually disabled/autistic" kids are in LIFE SKILLS. That name as such-I never heard of. Not being intellectually disabled not interested in what the course entails.

RECENTLY at Danforth which is a highschool here in Toronto. I was a couple of classrooms away from the deaf/hearing class. I talked to the teacher who was interested in my Cochlear Implant while talking about the class and advised will be closing in 2 years as there is NO more students enrolled. That is reality here in Toronto. I didn't check IF the "intellectually disabled/autistic" kids are in LIFE SKILLS. That name as such-I never heard of. Not being intellectually disabled not interested in what the course entails.

I wouldn't have posted because I took a sabbatical away from AD due to my health as it has been declining rapidly due to Sjogren's.

I had to rectify your post here about DCTI (Danforth) that was just glaringly wrong.

The teachers do not sign ASL, they refuse to. The Deaf students either dropped out or transferred to ECD in Milton, ON. This has been happening for too many years. This happened first at NSS in Toronto. (Northside Secondary) The teachers flatout refused to sign so the students were left to their devices. Failing & being kept back a grade so most of the students transferred to ECD in Milton and they were either transferred to the hearing program in ECD or moved up a grade or two.

Now for Danforth, I am cautioning you to do your research and the history behind Danforth. It was a good school for the Deaf. I know MANY former students and several teachers from Danforth. They were my peers at George Brown College and a former teacher was a professor of mine at GBC as well.

They all shared similar experiences, they were prohibited to sign and encouraged to be CI'ed.

The oralism approach was the only way at Danforth and in T.O you will see quite a bit of oral-Deaf people. Just ask if they were from Danforth or NSS, you can tell by the age as well. The younger the person they are from Danforth, the older the person, they were from NSS.

Please stop posting pure unadulterated b*llsh*t and fixtating on your CI. It seems everywhere you go, it's always your stories on how "they" were fascinated about your CI. Tell me, before you had your CI, did you even have an identity?

Back to my self-imposed sabbatical!! :shock:

Jillio that is productive-shrug more! no more comments! Are you interested in determining if "intellectually disabled" are a "cultural classification"? After answering back to shrugs!
Can you sustain that stance in 2011-New Years resolution?

Mrs Bucket: First: a brief discussion for about 10 minutes re closing the class in 2 years. That is correct. No I didn't study the history of Danforth re deaf/Hearing Impaired[- I have no reason to do so. No I didn't query whether ASL was used or not. As I mentioned a classroom B26 was used to teach Swing/Latin American dances which is why I was there in the first place. The teacher asked me about my Cochlear Implant and how long I had it. Did I think it helped? It was parents night which why he was in his class. There were no students there. Sorry I didn't it is necessary to consult you about this brief visit!
NSS is Northern Secondary-Roehampton & MT Pleasant. I have been there many times. Ironically. went to my last Intro ASL class in 1997 there.
Whether you personally agree with me re Cochlear Implant is IRRELEVANT to me. Why is your distorted opinion of concern to me? Are you like Jillio with delusions of grandiosity pontificating away? The implant operation happened July 12. 2007-I wasn't a member alldeaf.com then. I joined in July 2010! Considering some the drivel spouted-perhaps a good thing!
Most people have identity/personality prior to becoming Hearing Impaired or deaf. It doesn't change-however one deals with it- may! Ignore?Incorporate change to the one's new reality. Perhaps Jillio can explain if it possible for one NOT to have a Personality? Not sure how that subject can fit here in alldeaf.com?
Prior to getting my Implant I was classified as having a "profound loss"- 85 db over 30 years till I became bilaterally deaf in 2006. I had a Phonak BTE LL6.
Sorry to read you have Sjorens.
Back to your sabbatical after your gross misreading on my short visit at Danforth-Deaf/Hearing Impaired class. So you don't get excited-tomorrow I am going to Jimmie Simpson swimming pool -Queen Street Toronto- and practice deaf swimming. Real quiet!

I have a "Crush" on Jillio-age unknown/city unknown/martial status unknown amongst other "minor" details? We appear to have slightly different opinions on many matters. Considering PFH seems to agree with her a "more likely person"-Suitable? No opinion!
Alleycat are you her lookout from the posters here?

Last edited:
took night classes(swing dance 7.00 TO 9.00PM)- RECENTLY at Danforth which is a highschool here in Toronto. I was a couple of classrooms away from the deaf/hearing class. I talked to the teacher who was interested in my Cochlear Implant while talking about the class and advised will be closing in 2 years as there is NO more students enrolled.
Um so what does that have to do with anything? Night school is for folks who have either graduated high school or are too old for traditional school, but can't get into college or a job. I'd assume it's like GED course for dhh folks. In other words it doesn't reflect current secondary school placement. It reflects post secondary acheiement. Perhaps dhh students are doing better, so they don't need the night school placement any more.

Jillio that is productive-shrug more! no more comments! Are you interested in determining if "intellectually disabled" are a "cultural classification"? After answering back to shrugs!
Can you sustain that stance in 2011-New Years resolution?

Try to keep up. Shrug didn't belong to my post. Mine said **jillio shaking head sadly** Quite different from a shrug.

You can use more words to say virtually nothing than anyone I have ever seen.:roll:

Careful, Jillio. He just might have a crush on you like he does on another poster. :lol: ;)

Mrs. Bucket;

Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify. I am sorry that your health issues have required a sabattical, but will be wishing for better health and your return to AD.

Try to keep up. Shrug didn't belong to my post. Mine said **jillio shaking head sadly** Quite different from a shrug.

You can use more words to say virtually nothing than anyone I have ever seen.:roll:

:hmm: I can do that too! Jealous.

Back