Those who decide not to get a CI

deafgal001

Reaction score
Is it because you are waiting for more advanced technologies or treatment?

It seem like this is the common reason why people decide not to get a CI, including my older sister.

I dont care for it...

just the idea of more speech therapy turns me off.

My reason was because of my testing - I would not gain much improvement. I was not going to risk a surgery and it's associated risks (no matter how slight) to only get "not much improvement" as my CI audi said. I had my whole family with me at my testing and we all understood the same thing. So no way, not right now. Later, perhaps.

Wirelessly posted

Personally, I'm more interesting to see forward in new HAs than CIs. For some reasons, HAs are much safer than CIs.

Yeah, for me the technology is still very new. If I do decide to get one in the future, and that's a big IF, the technology will have to be much better than it is now. You really have to be careful with getting CI because there is no going back. Once you are implanted that is that, no more residual hearing or using hearing aids again.

My reason was because of my testing - I would not gain much improvement. I was not going to risk a surgery and it's associated risks (no matter how slight) to only get "not much improvement" as my CI audi said. I had my whole family with me at my testing and we all understood the same thing. So no way, not right now. Later, perhaps.

Why would you not get any improvement? If you don't mind me asking.

I assume people would expect me to talk if I were to get one too. I do not want to talk though. I have a right to sign; signing is my preferred method of communication.

If there is a new hearing pill to make me hearing, I wouldn't take it. I'm 5th generation deaf, and I am f#@king happy who I am.

The main reason I wouldn't get one is financially, it would ruin me...not only with the costs of it, AFTER what the insurance covers, but with time off from work to heal, to get therapy, and to do follow-up treatments.

Also, this is my third time with cancer. I've been getting radiation treatments, so obviously a CI isn't recommended.

Is it because you are waiting for more advanced technologies or treatment?

It seem like this is the common reason why people decide not to get a CI, including my older sister.

I have relatives that don't want a CI (or hearing aids either) not because of waiting for something better, but because they have good deaf support systems in town and on the job.

I've said this many times already, if I had a better support system, I would not have gotten a CI.

The CI is totally worth it for one reason (for me): Music.

I was not qualified for it. Mine is way past repaired and CI will not work for me at all. I am fine with that.

I have relatives that don't want a CI (or hearing aids either) not because of waiting for something better, but because they have good deaf support systems in town and on the job.

I've said this many times already, if I had a better support system, I would not have gotten a CI.

The CI is totally worth it for one reason (for me): Music.

Talk about no support system. Try being the ONLY deaf person, like me, at the university that consist of over 40,000 students.

Talk about no support system. Try being the ONLY deaf person, like me, at the university that consist of over 40,000 students.

I enjoyed my graduate years. Just me and my hearing aid. What university were you in that had over 40,000 students? Public or private? I'm assuming it is a public university you went. Arizona State University, Ohio State University, University of Central Florida, University of Minnesota, University of Texas at Austin, University of Florida, Texas A&M University, Michigan State University, University of South Florida or Pennsylvania State University? Those are the universities with over 40,000 students.

I enjoyed my graduate years. Just me and my hearing aid. What university were you in that had over 40,000 students? Public or private? I'm assuming it is a public university you went. Arizona State University, Ohio State University, University of Central Florida, University of Minnesota, University of Texas at Austin, University of Florida, Texas A&M University, Michigan State University, University of South Florida or Pennsylvania State University? Those are the universities with over 40,000 students.

None in Washington state?

Still in. I think its private. I prefer not to say for privacy reasons.

Back