Those who decide not to get a CI

Jiro: The obvious purpose- to assist persons who can "overcome remaining deaf" with the devices and "assist in speaking". Worthy goals?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Jiro: not getting a Cochlear Implant is something OTHER than a personal life choice--what is the alternate consideration? Excluding the possibility of being "unsuitable-medical wise".

Those who choose not to get a CI have made a personal life choice.

Originally Posted by drphil
Anyone want an interesting aerobic exercise: swimming- even if one is deaf. Indoors-year round!
Another interesting exercise for all Cochlear Implant persons: Dancing! No not ChaCha dance steps- environment: Loud music to quiet persons' voice at the same time!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/-07

what are you talking about???

I do the steps, zumba, body cuts, spinning, turbokicks and go on with those kind of classes that comes with music. I am deaf without HA or CI.
gosh, you are so sillly.

You see I don't rely on CI to workout or dance as I am capable of doing anything.

awwww i bet he looked adorable!! does he like to dance to the day? lol!

I posted a pic of him last year of him dressed as the Tin Man. His dance class did a performance of the Wizard of Oz and the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville. I think he looked the cutest ever!!:lol:

He loves to dance, and used to mimic Michael Jackson moves when he was a teen ager.:lol:

I posted a pic of him last year of him dressed as the Tin Man. His dance class did a performance of the Wizard of Oz and the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville. I think he looked the cutest ever!!:lol:

He loves to dance, and used to mimic Michael Jackson moves when he was a teen ager.:lol:

cute! i didnt see it.. maybe one of those days, i will. hehe

Ask yourself, who invented them and for what purpose?

Nicolo Tesla did the first primitive CI with a nail and electric current. Hundreds of years ago. On himself. It worked. It was not permanent , just an experiment.

Tesla was deaf. So answer to your question .. Deaf!

Forgot purpose. To see if electric current could make him hear.

Nicolo Tesla did the first primitive CI with a nail and electric current. Hundreds of years ago. On himself. It worked. It was not permanent , just an experiment.

I don't think that Tesla's experiment on himself had any direct bearing on the CI of today, nor of any assistive devises that we have seen used over the years. It could not even be considered a prototype.

Jiro: The obvious purpose- to assist persons who can "overcome remaining deaf" with the devices and "assist in speaking". Worthy goals?

oh not again... mistaken identity :lol:

It is Jillio who asked you a question, not me... but I'll chime in. Worthy goals? no.

Jiro: not getting a Cochlear Implant is something OTHER than a personal life choice--what is the alternate consideration? Excluding the possibility of being "unsuitable-medical wise".

alternate consideration? ASL :cool2:

For my answer, don't qualify and prefer safer hearing aid anyway.

Forgot purpose. To see if electric current could make him hear.

That's very cool -- I hadn't known both Edison AND Tesla were HOH / deaf!

I don't think that Tesla's experiment on himself had any direct bearing on the CI of today, nor of any assistive devises that we have seen used over the years. It could not even be considered a prototype.

The old ear horn was nothing like today but it was a hearing aid.

And yes they had bearing on today's devices as they were attempts to provide hearing to deaf people.

I love that -- I've got to start Li dancing.

It worked out great for P.J. Not only did he enjoy it, but developing rhythm in dance and being aware of musical rhythms helped him develop flowing speech rhythms. I don't think it is co-incidental, either, that one of his favorite activities in high school was participating in the signing choir.

Some points I'd like to make.
1. The best way a deaf child can learn speech is by using ASL.
2. Even with a CI, you're still deaf.
3. When being implanted with a CI, you actually lose ALL of the residueal hearing you had left. Which means if the CI fails in some fashion, you're chances of using advanced digital hearing aids is doomed.
4. To merely suggest that a deaf person without a CI cannot enjoy life with sounds is insulting and idiotic. I'm profoundly deaf, but I'm a music junkie. I go to concerts, turn up music in my car, and yes, I follow along with the words. Deafness doesn't stop me at doing anything...if anything at all, it made me creative in finding ways to do things in life.

The old ear horn was nothing like today but it was a hearing aid.

And yes they had bearing on today's devices as they were attempts to provide hearing to deaf people.

But Tesla's was an attempt toward a single individual. I was referring, in my original question, to the mass marketed types of assistive devises.

And another point - it IS possible for deaf people with CI to be culturally deaf. Thank goodness! Whew. I've seen many deaf people who actively use their CIs (and love them) and still use ASL and are involved in the deaf community. This wasn't always the case, but the deaf community is gradually becoming more accepting of the device.

BUT the deaf community detests the stigma that still exists. Don't try to go and "fix" me or tell me that you have a device that will enrich my life. My life is fine the way it is, and that only is a testimony that deaf CAN do anything except hear...and that's okay!

Some points I'd like to make.
1. The best way a deaf child can learn speech is by using ASL.
2. Even with a CI, you're still deaf.
3. When being implanted with a CI, you actually lose ALL of the residueal hearing you had left. Which means if the CI fails in some fashion, you're chances of using advanced digital hearing aids is doomed.
4. To merely suggest that a deaf person without a CI cannot enjoy life with sounds is insulting and idiotic. I'm profoundly deaf, but I'm a music junkie. I go to concerts, turn up music in my car, and yes, I follow along with the words. Deafness doesn't stop me at doing anything...if anything at all, it made me creative in finding ways to do things in life.

I totally agree. When I said I was considering getting implanted, I wasn't really serious in the end. It made me actively do research, and by that I mean talking with actual CI implantees. I travelled a thousand miles in order to do that, and I am happy I did. There are problems not mentioned in this forum but I won't get into them: in the end I made a conscious choice to stay the way I am, and I am truly happy now. As Popeye says, I yam what I yam.

Back