Those who decide not to get a CI

Deafbajagal is correct when she says that the most effective way for a deaf child to learn spoken language is through the use of ASL. Auditory exercises are just what the name implies. Practice listening. They do nothing to promote the learning of language.

Short array is not appropriate for all implant candidates. There is a very narrow window of criteria that makes one eligible for short array insertion.

Speech is an acoustic event. The more you hear, the easier it is to learn spoken language through listening. Listening is the "natural" way to learn spoken language. If you have access to spoken language through listening (all of speech) you should be able to develop spoken language developmentally (barring disabilities).

Speech is an acoustic event. The more you hear, the easier it is to learn spoken language through listening. Listening is the "natural" way to learn spoken language. If you have access to spoken language through listening (all of speech) you should be able to develop spoken language developmentally (barring disabilities).

I thought the thread was about CI?

I see.....do you have any machinations going this route? Just curious....

Edit: Machination isn't the best word here, lol. Of course, I meant "thoughts"...

Lol.....Yes I am considering it.

The whole argument that children need to be implanted so they can learn spoken language or even language is total BS.

1. Deaf do not need to speak to communicate. Deaf have learned how to communicate very effectively through the years without speaking.

2. Deaf can speak without hearing spoken language. Deaf who want to speak and have a voice only need learn how to speak.

3. Deaf who are taught sign language from birth can typically learn it and use it before hearing learn to read, write, and speak in English.

Last edited:
The whole argument that children need to be implanted so they can learn spoken language or even language is total BS.

1. Deaf do not need to speak to communicate. Deaf have learned how to communicate very effectively through the years without speaking.

2. Deaf can speak without hearing spoken language. Deaf who want to speak and have a voice only need learn how to speak.

3. Deaf who are taught sign language from birth can typically learn it and use it before hearing learn to read, write, and speak in English.

Thumbs up.

2. Deaf can speak without hearing spoken language. Deaf who want to speak and have a voice only need learn how to speak. That is, if they want to speak.

:gpost:

All true, but there is a catch.

Can anyone tell me what the catch is, in regards to most deaf children? (Yes, I'm in my teacher mode. It's a habit).

:gpost:

All true, but there is a catch.

Can anyone tell me what the catch is, in regards to most deaf children? (Yes, I'm in my teacher mode. It's a habit).

faire_jour is thinking like a hearing person. Taking what is natural for hearing people and applying it to all deaf.

First, my mother didn't want CI because at the time, it was still experimental.

Then some years later, my mother didn't want CI for me because she thought it was ugly as heck. :lol:

I went to CI clinic for testings and such. They said I qualify. But I didn't opt for CI because I was told I'll get small improvement with CI, which is not much, and also I don't want to lose my residual hearing.

I might consider a hybrid CI if it's gets approved. But if I never get CI then it's not the end of the world for me.

Personally, I think CI is best for postlingually deaf.

That's an interesting perspective, but I'd like to mention that there's a difference between being able to speak and learning a spoken language, which involves both receptive and expressive components.

Nobody disagrees with any of that. But unfortunately, there are many people who suffered greatly during the course of learning to speak. They had horrible experiences and struggles. My point was simply that hearing and understanding spoken language through listening could make a daunting path easier.

Because they were forced to speak they did not choose to speak. Eugenics was, and still is to some extent, very big among those who were advocates of Oralism. Its well documented in deaf history.

Eugenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And having access to spoken language oftens makes a child WANT to learn spoken language rather than being forced. (Definately did for my daughter!)

That's an interesting perspective, but I'd like to mention that there's a difference between being able to speak and learning a spoken language, which involves both receptive and expressive components.

I don't disagree, but what you are failing to realize is that the end result in learning should be being able to use or do whatever it is you learnt. I don't, for example, study math so I am not able to compute numbers or know how to do math.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back