Those who decide not to get a CI

Wirelessly posted

Do you have any posts that don't criticize people for their lifestyle?

Isn't the central question: what does one do with the fact that one is deaf(silence)-now? Use hearing aids-if possible/Cochlear Implant OR use ASL/BSL/FSL etc. Yeah-even hand writing. What are the consequences to one's social/work environment from one's actions? Seems in the past hermits appeared to be an "alternative"-viable today? One's Free choice-what action? Mars anybody?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Is it me or does anyone else need a code breaker to decipher this?

Wirelessly posted

No its not you. I can't figure him out. I can only guess what he is trying to say.

How many positions can anyone have in dealing with deafness? The range of options possible are not exactly shrouded in obscurity.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Can you put everything complete sentences? Don't leave obscure Hanging by itself.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted
it says "or", right? My daughter is deaf and can understand conversational speech at 6 feet with her back turned and scores greater than 90% on speech discrimination testing.

If she can do that , then she does not fit into the category that 'most' people would call deaf.

If she can do that , then she does not fit into the category that 'most' people would call deaf.

That question may be the what some are arguing about here, without really coming out and saying so.

My child can do that as well. She's profoundly deaf.

Does wearing a hearing aid or a CI make you no longer deaf? Does using a prosthetic limb to take part in races make you no longer an amputee?

That question may be the what some are arguing about here, without really coming out and saying so.

Does wearing a hearing aid or a CI make you no longer deaf? Does using a prosthetic limb to take part in races make you no longer an amputee?

I have said with that attitude, then these children are hearing children but some parents say "No no, my child is still deaf with a CI."

Whatever rocks their boat.

To me, any person with a hearing loss is Deaf or HOH.

Wirelessly posted

cjg said:
Wirelessly posted
it says "or", right? My daughter is deaf and can understand conversational speech at 6 feet with her back turned and scores greater than 90% on speech discrimination testing.

bilateral severe to profound loss with CIs. That is deaf by all definitions!

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
Wirelessly posted

cjg said:
Wirelessly posted

bilateral severe to profound loss with CIs. That is deaf by all definitions!

Is there any particular reasons to refer them deaf while wearing CI even though they hear well as a hearing person? I am wondering parents do that to make sure they get accommodated. I usually refer them as cochlear implant users. And if anyone ask what it is, I tell them they are deaf without it.

While I understand the analogy you are trying to make , it is not the best one. It is a poor choice of words.

deaf , as used by most people ( in the general population ) , is an adjective. Descriptive of the lack of hearing sense. When the word is used this way , then yes , while using the CI / HA the user is no longer deaf. The user has the ability to hear.

Amputee is a noun describing a person who has lost a limb ( has had an amputation performed ) .This fact does not change. The root word of amputate does not describe the lack of something , it describes the actual loss of the limb itself.

If we were to replace the word amputee with "Legless" , which is also an adjective , Then yes the person who uses the prosthetic leg is no longer legless.

There is no real "apples to apples" correlation between the two words. Because they are completely different types of words.

While some people try use the word deaf as a noun describing "a member of the deaf community."That is not the way that the general public uses it.But when used that way , then yes , she is still deaf when using the HA / CI.

Who is cjg???

CJG is me ..

You have something you need to ask me ?

Brief bio .. 38 year old male usa / nyc metro area .. bilateral profound / severe progress loss mostly upper freqs. I am currently contemplating bilateral sequential CI's for myself.

CJG is me ..

You have something you need to ask me ?

Brief bio .. 38 year old male usa / nyc metro area .. bilateral profound / severe progress loss mostly upper freqs. I am currently contemplating bilateral sequential CI's for myself.

I already checked. You are late deafened. That is all I wanted to know.

Wirelessly posted

Is there any particular reasons to refer them deaf while wearing CI even though they hear well as a hearing person? I am wondering parents do that to make sure they get accommodated. I usually refer them as cochlear implant users. And if anyone ask what it is, I tell them they are deaf without it.

Do you consider those with hearing aids to be no longer deaf during the hours when they are wearing them?

While I understand the analogy you are trying to make , it is not the best one. It is a poor choice of words.

deaf , as used by most people ( in the general population ) , is an adjective. Descriptive of the lack of hearing sense. When the word is used this way , then yes , while using the CI / HA the user is no longer deaf. The user has the ability to hear.

Amputee is a noun describing a person who has lost a limb ( has had an amputation performed ) .This fact does not change. The root word of amputate does not describe the lack of something , it describes the actual loss of the limb itself.

If we were to replace the word amputee with "Legless" , which is also an adjective , Then yes the person who uses the prosthetic leg is no longer legless.

There is no real "apples to apples" correlation between the two words. Because they are completely different types of words.

While some people try use the word deaf as a noun describing "a member of the deaf community."That is not the way that the general public uses it.But when used that way , then yes , she is still deaf when using the HA / CI.

Would you then define my daughter as variably hearing or deaf during the day, depending upon whether or not her CI was on or off? (Just as you seem to be saying that a "legless" person's physical state is defined by the appearance of some facsimile of a leg or a tool that functions towards the same end as a leg would.)

Would you then define my daughter as variably hearing or deaf during the day, depending upon whether or not her CI was on or off?

Does your daughter loose / gain a sense of hearing depending on the status of her CI ?

If the answer is yes , then word deaf ( as an adjective ) would not apply to her while she has a sense of hearing.

Please do not confuse the adjective deaf with the noun Deaf. They are completely different meanings. It is my experience that some people use a capital D to denote when they are using the noun. This can help to avoid the confusion.

Does your daughter loose / gain a sense of hearing depending on the status of her CI ?

If the answer is yes , then word deaf ( as an adjective ) would not apply to her while she has a sense of hearing.

Please do not confuse the adjective deaf with the noun Deaf. They are completely different meanings. It is myvery limited experience that some people use a capital D to denote when they are using the noun. This can help to avoid the confusion.

Back