Those who decide not to get a CI

Perhaps you couldn't. I don't see any regulations or requirements that restrict any of these professions to my daughter. I know at least 2 deaf & HOH officers in the USNavy. I know I've read of at least one deaf police officer on this forum. There's a deaf airline pilots association, so assuming that means there are deaf pilots...

Deaf airline pilots ? Doubtful ..

Deaf pilots .. yes .. but not airline.

FAA Medical Certification / Medical Standards and FAA Forms

Requirements for medical certificate.

Demonstrate hearing of an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears at 6 feet, with the back turned to the examiner OR pass one of the audiometric tests below or:

Audiometric speech discrimination test: (Score at least 70% discrimination in one ear) or:

Pure tone audiometric test: Unaided, with thresholds no worse than:
500Hz 1,000Hz 2,000Hz 3,000Hz
Better Ear 35Db 30Db 30Db 40Db
Worst Ear 35Db 50Db 50Db 60Db

As long as all other parts of the medical can be passed normally .. a pilot can obtain a waiver that will mark his/her certificate as

"Not Valid for Flights Requiring the Use of Radio" (14 CFR section 61.13).

Currently all flights in controlled airspace require use of a radio. As I mentioned in previous comments , this may change in the near future as the next generation of ATC systems is brought online.

If you have more information about this 'deaf airline pilots' group , I would like to contact them. A quick google search did not reveal them to me.

I am not sure how a Cochlear Implant could kill someone? Wild battery? surely not enough "electrical charge" to electrocute anyone. Infection? I would have guessed there would be a lot of info-if this was the case.
Remember this is Internet and wild comments abound-"flat earth crowd" everywhere. One needs lots of common sense to "divine drivel".

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Deaf airline pilots ? Doubtful ..

Deaf pilots .. yes .. but not airline.
What are you distinguishing here? Do you mean that a deaf person can qualify to fly as a hobbyist, but can not actually work as a pilot professionally? There are airlines of all types, large, small, all kinds of planes, operating in controlled/uncontrolled towers, etc. And waivers can be granted for some medical conditions that are initially listed -- do you actually know that a deaf pilot with a CI has requested and not been granted a waiver to fly as an airline pilot?

But more important, what's your intent in listing professions that you think deaf people can't do? Are you asking for someone to research this for you? Or are you attempting to enter one of these professions and are finding obstacles?

What are you distinguishing here? Do you mean that a deaf person can qualify to fly as a hobbyist, but can not actually work as a pilot professionally? There are airlines of all types, large, small, all kinds of planes, operating in controlled/uncontrolled towers, etc. And waivers can be granted for some medical conditions that are initially listed -- do you actually know that a deaf pilot with a CI has requested and not been granted a waiver to fly as an airline pilot?

But more important, what's your intent in listing professions that you think deaf people can't do? Are you asking for someone to research this for you? Or are you attempting to enter one of these professions and are finding obstacles?

That is what he is saying.

That the statement may be a bit outdated at this point with the overemphasis on the "can't hear part". Generally speaking, deaf people can hear better than they did when that statement was made.

I dont see his statement from a medical point of view.

Yes, but and I could be mistaken, but I think some of the deaf telling the parents that they were able to speak without the CI may possibly be overestimating their speech skills.

That first of all, I think that sometime perhaps on a subconscious level some of the deaf think they speak very well.... that is for a deaf person or even compared to some of the other deaf people that may hardly have any speaking capabilities. But still doesn't necessarily have hearing-like speech.

Or may even at times been told by other deaf people that they speak very well. Sometime some of the deaf with lesser speaking capabilities tend to think deaf people with more speaking capabilities "speak very well".

Or may at times even been told by some of the hearing people that they speak very well while underestimating the extent that the hearing person was still looking at it from a "deaf perspective". That they may have also come across some of the other deaf people who didn't speak as well.

I grew up orally and never associated with other deaf people except for my brother and my best friend until I was 25 to 28 years old.

OK. There is one account of what might be the first person to get an unrestricted license from the FAA (in 2003). This profoundly deaf person has received an unrestricted medical certificate and license to fly in radio-controlled airspace, which is what an airline would require. I don't know what has transpired in the past 7 years, or if regulations are different now.

But I don't think we should assume that doors are closed to any of us on the basis of deafness alone, and if they seem to be closing, maybe we need to do a bit of shoving them open, as did this guy.

Wirelessly posted

There's plenty of deaf who wanted to join the military and was not allowed.

Perhaps I should expand on this just a bit.

the official information directly from the FAA

Become a Pilot-Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions-Certification

the category of certificate required for "airline" pilot is "ATP" Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you read the link from the FAA site ( official information ) the ATP class is not included in what can be obtained by a 'deaf' pilot.

As I mentioned previously , there are changes coming in the air traffic control system that may remove this restriction , however it is not the case currently.

So back to the simplistic reply .. "Pilot" yes .. "Airline pilot" NO

Also .. I was not the one listing professions that can not be done .. I was the one arguing that the list was overly broad and general. My point was that there are functions to almost any profession that can be performed by someone without hearing.

As an aside .. I was a pilot , I have allowed my certificate to expire. I held a commercial multi engine land CFII (Certified flight instructor instructor , which means I was certified to teach flight instructors. )

GOddamn.......People getting butthurt over definitions of medical terms............ Get over it. Deaf people do not hear. They're DEAF........

Wirelessly posted

GrendelQ said:

OK. There is one account of what might be the first person to get an unrestricted license from the FAA (in 2003). This profoundly deaf person has received an unrestricted medical certificate and license to fly in radio-controlled airspace, which is what an airline would require. I don't know what has transpired in the past 7 years, or if regulations are different now.

But I don't think we should assume that doors are closed to any of us on the basis of deafness alone, and if they seem to be closing, maybe we need to do a bit of shoving them open, as did this guy.

If you think CI help with jobs, then it goes to show that people do close the door based on deafness alone. How well you can hear will get you hired.

GOddamn.......People getting butthurt over definitions of medical terms............ Get over it. Deaf people do not hear. They're DEAF........

:hmm: I think you mentioned a few times that you hear sometimes, or have heard, despite being deaf.

Deaf people are not hearing, but they can hear with assistive devices (HAs/CIs). Or if 'hear' isn't accurate, what verb describes the processing of sound that deaf people do with their HAs/CIs on?

Wirelessly posted

If you think CI help with jobs, then it goes to show that people do close the door based on deafness alone. How well you can hear will get you hired.

Hmm, well, there are many people who drive every day with licenses that require them to wear glasses. Should all of these people be restricted from driving because of their unassisted vision if a simple tool enables them to overcome that obstacle?

I understand that you are fighting to prove a point .. But you are unfamiliar with the profession you are speaking of ..

From the article you linked to .. VERY INTERESTING read .. it may cause me to go and try to reinstate my license myself ..

"CI user Thom Riddle's 3rd class medical specifies only hearing amplification and does not restrict him from flights requiring the use of radio."

He was given a 3rd class medical .. there are 3 classes .. his is the lowest of the three , to qualify for ATP ( which is for AIRLINE .. for profit scheduled airlines ) , he would require a 1st class medical certificate.)

This may change in the future , your daughter may be able to be a airline pilot in the future .. however as of today , she can not.

I saw something above about pilots: There are a number of deaf pilots in this country....they fly small planes and go to airports without towers. One pilot I know of has a hearing wife and if he wants to land at a towered airport, she is on the earphones and relays the instructions to him.....

Edited to add: There's a small, organized group of deaf pilots that communicate with one another on a regular basis. I cannot remember the group's name....

I understand that you are fighting to prove a point .. But you are unfamiliar with the profession you are speaking of ..

From the article you linked to .. VERY INTERESTING read .. it may cause me to go and try to reinstate my license myself ..

"CI user Thom Riddle's 3rd class medical specifies only hearing amplification and does not restrict him from flights requiring the use of radio."

He was given a 3rd class medical .. there are 3 classes .. his is the lowest of the three , to qualify for ATP ( which is for AIRLINE .. for profit scheduled airlines ) , he would require a 1st class medical certificate.)

This may change in the future , your daughter may be able to be a airline pilot in the future .. however as of today , she can not.

Hmmm. I'm arguing not so much to prove a point, but because I have thought that while she might face some battles, there would be few if any true limitations based solely on my daughter's deafness (and sure, she might not qualify for all kinds of other reasons... :) ) . I suppose I have always bought into Jordan's quote and thought that most limitations are self- imposed. Or imposed by those around the individual who didn't allow for full exploration of potential. I never want to say to Li, hey, no use trying for that, you're deaf, you know?

I think your piloting activity is VERY cool, by the way.

Back