Those who decide not to get a CI

I saw something above about pilots: There are a number of deaf pilots in this country....they fly small planes and go to airports without towers. One pilot I know of has a hearing wife and if he wants to land at a towered airport, she is on the earphones and relays the instructions to him.....

Unless his wife is also a pilot , he is exposing himself to legal issues if anything went wrong. His license most likely has a waver which restricts him from any flight requiring use of a radio. If something was to go wrong any insurance he has would be invalid due to him operating outside the scope of his license.

:hmm: I think you mentioned a few times that you hear sometimes, or have heard, despite being deaf.

Deaf people are not hearing, but they can hear with assistive devices (HAs/CIs). Or if 'hear' isn't accurate, what verb describes the processing of sound that deaf people do with their HAs/CIs on?

yeayeyayeayea but without these they're deaf, simply put.

I saw something above about pilots: There are a number of deaf pilots in this country....they fly small planes and go to airports without towers. One pilot I know of has a hearing wife and if he wants to land at a towered airport, she is on the earphones and relays the instructions to him.....

Edited to add: There's a small, organized group of deaf pilots that communicate with one another on a regular basis. I cannot remember the group's name....

I believe Henry Kisor has written a book and several articles about his experiences as a deaf pilot.
Rick

Hmmm. I'm arguing not so much to prove a point, but because I have thought that while she might face some battles, there would be few if any true limitations based solely on my daughter's deafness (and sure, she might not qualify for all kinds of other reasons... :) ) . I suppose I have always bought into Jordan's quote and thought that most limitations are self- imposed. Or imposed by those around the individual who didn't allow for full exploration of potential. I never want to say to Li, hey, no use trying for that, you're deaf, you know?

I think your piloting activity is VERY cool, by the way.

The limits are simply laws / regulations. They can be changed / challenged , and SHOULD be. That is the original point I was trying to make. While it may be needed for the fire fighter who enters the building to hear someone crying for help. Is it really needed for someone to drive the truck ? Is that person performing any less of a service ?

And yes , flying is VERY cool , it has been a long time ( well over 10 years ) that I have had the freedom of pulling back on the yoke and the feeling the rumble subside as I transferred from ground to sky. Your link about the gentleman may just inspire me to go see the dr and get my medical re-certified. I am currently trying to learn more about that case so that I can have some precedent in case of problems.

I agree with you about never saying "dont even bother , your deaf" That is an attitude that can be harmful in aspects of life other then just employment.

OK. There is one account of what might be the first person to get an unrestricted license from the FAA (in 2003). This profoundly deaf person has received an unrestricted medical certificate and license to fly in radio-controlled airspace, which is what an airline would require. I don't know what has transpired in the past 7 years, or if regulations are different now.

But I don't think we should assume that doors are closed to any of us on the basis of deafness alone, and if they seem to be closing, maybe we need to do a bit of shoving them open, as did this guy.

I think this guy is referring to being a commercial jet pilot. One of my friends wanted to go to school to be a commercial pilot but his application for the program was denied. That was 5 years ago. He has a pilot's license and flies small craft airplanes.

GOddamn.......People getting butthurt over definitions of medical terms............ Get over it. Deaf people do not hear. They're DEAF........

That's because they see it from a pathological point of view. It becomes so literal with them.

The limits are simply laws / regulations. They can be changed / challenged , and SHOULD be. That is the original point I was trying to make. While it may be needed for the fire fighter who enters the building to hear someone crying for help. Is it really needed for someone to drive the truck ? Is that person performing any less of a service ?

And yes , flying is VERY cool , it has been a long time ( well over 10 years ) that I have had the freedom of pulling back on the yoke and the feeling the rumble subside as I transferred from ground to sky. Your link about the gentleman may just inspire me to go see the dr and get my medical re-certified. I am currently trying to learn more about that case so that I can have some precedent in case of problems.

I agree with you about never saying "dont even bother , your deaf" That is an attitude that can be harmful in aspects of life other then just employment.

I used to work at an intermodal which is a freight company that deals with both trucks and trains as means of moving freight. While deaf can drive well, the truckers at the company had to talk to dispatchers on where to move the freight or if there had been change in plans.

I have no doubt that deaf can drive trucks for certain companies though if it's a regular and fixed routine one.

Quit the discussion: The quote said: The deaf can do ANYTHING... Yes, that includes being a cop, pilot, truck driver, telemarketer.... SO WHAT.. Why are you guys discussing that. We all KNOW we can do anything.. SO WHAT...

WIthout any devices.... We're deaf at the end of the day. Simple as that...

Quit the discussion: The quote said: The deaf can do ANYTHING... Yes, that includes being a cop, pilot, truck driver, telemarketer.... SO WHAT.. Why are you guys discussing that. We all KNOW we can do anything.. SO WHAT...

I agree. Being deaf doesn't make us mentally incapable to do the job, and it doesn't matter what their db loss is or how well they hear with their HAs/CIs

Yes! But not everyone recognizes this, sadly. And I sure don't intend to let someone else's misperception about ability impose limitations on my kid.

The quote said "anything but..." and several of us are simply pointing out that it is inaccurate. No need to get your undies all bunched up.
Rick

Hmmm, that name does ring a dim bell....

He is/was a book review editor for one of the two major Chicago newspapers. His best known book was entitled "Whats that pig outdoors" which is basically an autobiography about growing up as an oral deaf man. He also is a train buff and wrote another book about a trip he took on several long distance trains such as the Zephyr.
Rick

Sure we still have a hearing loss without the listening devices. So what? Many of us are dependent on technology to communicate everyday with hearing people and vice versa such as VP, TTY, face to face communication devices, texting via cell phone, hearing aid, cochlear implant, email, IM, video conferencing, cell phone (voice), field or CB radio, and e-chat. How we use those technology is sometimes dependent on how much hearing loss we have and/or the ability to use them beneficially (e.g. field radio, telephone, video conferencing, hearing aid, CI). Technology has become so ingrained in our lives we take them for granted seeing how they make our lives easier. And technology will be the key for many of us when it comes to communicating with everybody.

How we use those technology is sometimes dependent on how much hearing loss we have and/or the ability to use them beneficially (e.g. field radio, telephone, video conferencing, hearing aid, CI).

Quite correct as I didn't realise the magnitude of my hearing loss until I became profoundly Deaf. This was when I used pen/paper a lot and would be misunderstood when I spoke. I'd wonder if it was me or was it the other person until my sister advised me that my voice was too raspy to be recognised.

ibid said:
Technology has become so ingrained in our lives we take them for granted seeing how they make our lives easier. And technology will be the key for many of us when it comes to communicating with everybody.

Again, the dependability on technology does go out of the window when you lose vision. I'm not able to communicate with the Deaf Community "visually" ie VP or telecommunicating.

At the end of the day I'm equal to my community, Deaf however when there is a black-out. I'm superior to my Deaf community as I'm much more apt to guide them to safety than they are to guiding me to safety.

Quite the juxtaposition, eh?

Wirelessly posted

cjg said:
Perhaps you couldn't. I don't see any regulations or requirements that restrict any of these professions to my daughter. I know at least 2 deaf & HOH officers in the USNavy. I know I've read of at least one deaf police officer on this forum. There's a deaf airline pilots association, so assuming that means there are deaf pilots...

Deaf airline pilots ? Doubtful ..

Deaf pilots .. yes .. but not airline.

FAA Medical Certification / Medical Standards and FAA Forms

Requirements for medical certificate.

Demonstrate hearing of an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears at 6 feet, with the back turned to the examiner OR pass one of the audiometric tests below or:

Audiometric speech discrimination test: (Score at least 70% discrimination in one ear) or:

Pure tone audiometric test: Unaided, with thresholds no worse than:
500Hz 1,000Hz 2,000Hz 3,000Hz
Better Ear 35Db 30Db 30Db 40Db
Worst Ear 35Db 50Db 50Db 60Db

As long as all other parts of the medical can be passed normally .. a pilot can obtain a waiver that will mark his/her certificate as

"Not Valid for Flights Requiring the Use of Radio" (14 CFR section 61.13).

Currently all flights in controlled airspace require use of a radio. As I mentioned in previous comments , this may change in the near future as the next generation of ATC systems is brought online.

If you have more information about this 'deaf airline pilots' group , I would like to contact them. A quick google search did not reveal them to me.

it says "or", right? My daughter is deaf and can understand conversational speech at 6 feet with her back turned and scores greater than 90% on speech discrimination testing.

Again, the dependability on technology does go out of the window when you lose vision. I'm not able to communicate with the Deaf Community "visually" ie VP or telecommunicating.

At the end of the day I'm equal to my community, Deaf however when there is a black-out. I'm superior to my Deaf community as I'm much more apt to guide them to safety than they are to guiding me to safety.

Quite the juxtaposition, eh?
That's why I allways try to find a seat next to deafblind people inside buildnings. Un-disabled people are too depedent on their sensory organs.

Great attitude ;)

Isn't the central question: what does one do with the fact that one is deaf(silence)-now? Use hearing aids-if possible/Cochlear Implant OR use ASL/BSL/FSL etc. Yeah-even hand writing. What are the consequences to one's social/work environment from one's actions? Seems in the past hermits appeared to be an "alternative"-viable today? One's Free choice-what action? Mars anybody?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Isn't the central question: what does one do with the fact that one is deaf(silence)-now? Use hearing aids-if possible/Cochlear Implant OR use ASL/BSL/FSL etc. Yeah-even hand writing. What are the consequences to one's social/work environment from one's actions? Seems in the past hermits appeared to be an "alternative"-viable today? One's Free choice-what action? Mars anybody?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back