Those who decide not to get a CI

Does your daughter loose / gain a sense of hearing depending on the status of her CI ?

If the answer is yes , then word deaf ( as an adjective ) would not apply to her while she has a sense of hearing.

Please do not confuse the adjective deaf with the noun Deaf. They are completely different meanings. It is my experience that some people use a capital D to denote when they are using the noun. This can help to avoid the confusion.

There's a broad range of perspectives on what it means to be deaf (or to be Deaf). I'm trying to determine what the definition of deaf means to you at this point in time.

Not that it's fixed, but I do have a pretty good sense of what it means to me, at this time -- and it's a bit different from your view. I respect the perspective you hold, despite holding a different one, but perhaps you might hold off a bit to understand more about how I see it before schooling me or telling me not to confuse meaning.

You may want to do a great deal more research on cochlear implants if you are under the impression that you will no longer be deaf (and I mean small D deaf) once you have your surgery.

I can understand your frustration , and can see how you may classify my experience as very limited. However , in the future please refrain from posting in such a manner that gives the illusion that the words were used by me that way. I consider it rude.

If you have something to add / adjust in my statement , please do it outside of the
tags

Thank you.

Sorry this had to be posted in public this way , but my experience on this board has not yet shown me where the private message button it located.

There's a broad range of perspectives on what it means to be deaf (or to be Deaf). I'm trying to determine what the definition of deaf means to you at this point in time.

Not that it's fixed, but I do have a pretty good sense of what it means to me, at this time -- and it's a bit different from your view. I respect the perspective you hold, despite holding a different one, but perhaps you might hold off a bit to understand more about how I see it before schooling me or telling me not to confuse meaning.

You may want to do a great deal more research on cochlear implants if you are under the impression that you will no longer be deaf (and I mean small D deaf) once you have your surgery.

No offense...

You see deafness from a hearing perspective.

We see deafness from a deaf perspective.

I can understand your frustration , and can see how you may classify my experience as very limited. However , in the future please refrain from posting in such a manner that gives the illusion that the words were used by me that way. I consider it rude.

If you have something to add / adjust in my statement , please do it outside of the
tags

Thank you.

Sorry this had to be posted in public this way , but my experience on this board has not yet shown me where the private message button it located.

PM's are not allowed before 50 posts. Do you think everyone is so stupid they can't notice my addition in red? I would bold it if I wanted to emphasize your words.

Please refrain from ever telling me what to do. :lol:

OH and above, the board messed that quote up . I had nothing to do with it.

There can be no dispute on the meaning of the word itself.it is someone without a sense of hearing. It is not a subjective word.

I do not consider myself deaf .. nor do I consider myself Deaf .. I have a reduced sense of hearing. The term deaf, as a word ,has a distinct meaning that is non ambiguous. it refers to someone without a sense of hearing.Due to the fact that almost no one has ZERO hearing , the line between deaf / not deaf is blurred. So we add in the term hard of hearing to cover the ambiguous section that can not semantically be correctly defined as deaf.

You can consider it what you will , it will not change the meaning of the word as defined by Webster.

I am hard of hearing , as I still have some sense of hearing , and hope to be less hard of hearing after the surgery ( If I even get it .. )

Please refrain from ever telling me what to do. :lol:

Sir yes sir.

But seriously .. if you have something to say about me or my post , please make it unambiguous. Your post was tantamount to putting words in my mouth , which is very impolite. I have shown you nothing but respect. Why can you not show me the same.

Sir yes sir.

But seriously .. if you have something to say about me or my post , please make it unambiguous. Your post was tantamount to putting words in my butt, which is very impolite. I have shown you nothing but respect. Why can you not show me the same.

Oh, so I should stop doing that too...

If you wanted her to be polite, you should be polite as well in greeting her with the gender-correct greeting.

No offense...

You see deafness from a hearing perspective.

We see deafness from a deaf perspective.

Remember that wondeful book by Padden and Humphries, 1988? Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture. Everyone should read it. That book is timeless!

Oh, so I should stop doing that too...

If you wanted her to be polite, you should be polite as well in greeting her with the gender-correct greeting.

I love you PFH. and cjg , that isn't really poor etiquette here. But I will do my best to remember your preferences.

And yes I am female, and besides profoundly deaf, low vision. Hearing aid.

So you know my life story. :)

It's okay if there are some things deaf cannot do, profession-wise. I cannot do many things because I'm short. Seriously...if I ever had a disability, it's being 5-foot tall and cannot reach anything. lol Not all jobs are meant for me. Such as being an ambulance driver. With my sense of direction (or more accurately, my lack of sense of direction) people will DIE because I'd never find the house in time to get there to save them.

But I will say this. If there were something I truly wanted to do, and deafness was the only thing in the way, I would find a way to do it. Somehow, someway. With all of the technology available to us, there isn't any reason why we can't find a way to accommodate ourselves in such that we can do what we are set out to do.

If I wanted to join the army, watch me. I'll find a way. Luckily for the United States, I'm not interested.

I love you PFH. and cjg , that isn't really poor etiquette here. But I will do my best to remember your preferences.

Not a problem .. I must tell you that it took me a few moments to notice that your comment had changes inside the quote. It did not "jump out at me" ..

I also hope you did not take offense at the "sir yes sir" .. it was meant more in the way a new enlistee would answer a drill instructor .. gender neutral.

and just to feed the troll .. PFH , Did you know that the proper honorific for an officer is sir. No mater that the gender ?
:D

But I will say this. If there were something I truly wanted to do, and deafness was the only thing in the way, I would find a way to do it. Somehow, someway. With all of the technology available to us, there isn't any reason why we can't find a way to accommodate ourselves in such that we can do what we are set out to do.

If I wanted to join the army, watch me. I'll find a way. Luckily for the United States, I'm not interested.

I've got the same mentality. If there's something I'm truly passionate about and want to do, I'll find a way to do whatever I want. I just wished a lot more deaf/ hard of hearing, hell... even Hearing people, had that sort of mentality. (I used to think I wanted to join the Air Force, but I think luckily for the U.S., I'm not interested :naughty: )

As for not doing the CI, part of it is in defiance of my parents. Since they seem to think that getting a CI would "fix" my hearing "issues", as they like to put it. In other words, it would be an expensive and somewhat lazy way for them to not have to deal with it.

As for what why I really don't want to do the surgery, I don't want to lose what I already have. I've worked hard to get to where I am and am extremely proud of it. The odds are little be disconcerting for me and I can't seem to get myself to take that 'leap of faith', so to speak, to actually get the surgery. Plus, my audiologist said its not really worth the risk for me. So for now, I'm perfectly content with hearing aids. :D

Not a problem .. I must tell you that it took me a few moments to notice that your comment had changes inside the quote. It did not "jump out at me" ..

I also hope you did not take offense at the "sir yes sir" .. it was meant more in the way a new enlistee would answer a drill instructor .. gender neutral.

It's okay if there are some things deaf cannot do, profession-wise. I cannot do many things because I'm short. Seriously...if I ever had a disability, it's being 5-foot tall and cannot reach anything. lol Not all jobs are meant for me. Such as being an ambulance driver. With my sense of direction (or more accurately, my lack of sense of direction) people will DIE because I'd never find the house in time to get there to save them.

:gpost:

No offense. Don't worry about it.

Do you consider those with hearing aids to be no longer deaf during the hours when they are wearing them?

No, but not all deaf consider themselves deaf during the hours they wear their HAs. They call themselves HOH (or hearing impaired) and they can't hear a thing without HAs.

I call myself deaf (or "I can't hear very well") because I struggle even with HAs or CI on. Even Amputee struggle with artifical legs. So that's why I asked, if there's accomodation that need to be address for the reason to refer them as deaf (as if they can't hear very well with CI) while they are wearing CI.. Unless you want to refer CI as accomodation. I still call them CI users though because If I was wearing hearing aids, people may give me the wrong accomodation because they met a CI who called themselves deaf but told them they can hear (which btw, I don't ever tell people I'm deaf or HOH unless I'm struggling).

Last edited:
Back