Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

:roll: Cloggy, you do not understand. The deaf child can hear but NOT like a hearing kid. They hear like HOH kids. Hoh does not equal hearing....all that means is that its a lot easier for them to aquire speech without having to go to Clarke/CID etc for years and years. Many of us here ARE hoh or benifited strongly from CI/HA, and many of our parents bought into simaliar theories....yet here we be. Makes you think!

Deaf culture is based on deaf people coming together and sharing their similiar experiences that hearing people would never understand.

That and another thing that people who defend the hearing way forget this...

Too often, I have seen deaf children not knowing anything about their ethnitic backgrounds or cultures due to their parents not willing to learn ASL to communicate with them.

Do you, hearing supporters, advocate for this?

What does that mean, "hearing supporters"?

Anyone interested in discussing the huge problems inherent in this UNPUBLISHED study? Quite frankly, an unpublished study is nothing more than anecdote. But, the interesting thing is, the findings happen to support so many of the things that we have been saying on AD for years.

Presumably the Australian study should be of interest to any parent/s having to deal with the situation re: their DEAF child. Considering the number of persons involved- worthy of study here.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Great analogy, how about you and your spouse are white but you have two children, one very pale skinned and the other very dark skin, guess now you have to raise them very differently, different friends, different identity etc.?
The analogies are getting better and better..
It's a bit like that with us.. Are we going to turn the whole family with two children around in learning a third language or is there another option...
There is another option...

Anyone interested in discussing the huge problems inherent in this UNPUBLISHED study? Quite frankly, an unpublished study is nothing more than anecdote. But, the interesting thing is, the findings happen to support so many of the things that we have been saying on AD for years.
So.. You are interested in this unpublished study... Even though it's just an anecdote...

:roll: Cloggy, you do not understand. The deaf child can hear but NOT like a hearing kid. They hear like HOH kids. Hoh does not equal hearing....all that means is that its a lot easier for them to aquire speech without having to go to Clarke/CID etc for years and years. Many of us here ARE hoh or benifited strongly from CI/HA, and many of our parents bought into simaliar theories....yet here we be. Makes you think!
They can't?... I had no idea..

I have the Feeling that HOH in Deaf culture /AD goes from hearing nothing to hearing everything... The scale is too wide....
So... How about coming up with a scale....
Lotte hears better than her grandmother who now has top of the art HAs..
How's that for scale?

"For many parents, worries about social participation increased as their children reached adolescence and appeared to struggle with issues around being deaf and fitting in with hearing peers. In addition, findings from both the quantitative and qualitative teacher data indicate less than optimal social outcomes. It appears that even children with excellent outcomes in spoken language development and communication experience the phenomenon of “social deafness.”

this is what we've been trying to tell the hearing parents all along...

I have the Feeling that HOH in Deaf culture /AD goes from hearing nothing to hearing everything... The scale is too wide....
How's that for scale?

And she's still the only deaf kid she knows....

Let's continue with the analogies....
Your child is born, and the eyes are different. In fact, she looks Chinese.. So now you will have to find other Chinese families, the child needs to learn Chinese, you will have to learn Chinese, because... The child looks Chinese.
And if you look hard enough, you will find plenty of Chinese persons around you....

Great analogy, how about you and your spouse are white but you have two children, one very pale skinned and the other very dark skin, guess now you have to raise them very differently, different friends, different identity etc.?

What is the solution? In your cases, you would have probably them undergo surgery to change them from having Asian-type looking eye shapes or darker skin to something that is just like you. Tra-la-la everything in your world is right again. :fruit:

That is what Grendel is doing with her adopted daughter.

So.. You are interested in this unpublished study... Even though it's just an anecdote...

Interested enough to read it so that I could see that it was not a valid study. Same as I do with anything that is presented as valid research.

Why did you post a study whose conclusions agree with what the Deaf have been saying for years?

How's that for scale?

Fallicious comparison. Too much age variance and no accounting of age related biological declines that occur. Additionally, Lotte's grandmother is not prelingually deafened.

"For many parents, worries about social participation increased as their children reached adolescence and appeared to struggle with issues around being deaf and fitting in with hearing peers. In addition, findings from both the quantitative and qualitative teacher data indicate less than optimal social outcomes. It appears that even children with excellent outcomes in spoken language development and communication experience the phenomenon of “social deafness.”

this is what we've been trying to tell the hearing parents all along...

Exactly, DC. The findings in this study agree not only with the social functioning issues, but also indicates the inflated reports parents give regarding educational functioning. And that in spite of the questionable validity of the study design in and of itself.

That's good, contributed to her learning ASL on her own out of the house. Hence, meeting her cultural identity without her parents.

^^ Which exactly was the point we were making earlier in the thread.
"Without her parents"? From what I have read her parents were very supportive of keeping in touch with deaf people..
And "meeting her cultural identity".. Implies her cultural identity is Deaf.. I'm quite sure she is not thinking in those labels you are putting on her...
She cones from a loving family and has great friends...

Your conclusion of both Without her parents" and "meeting her cultural identity" are without foundation..
Not a surprise coming from you..

Chances are great, given the number of CI users (and HA users) who were raised orally that end up in the Deaf community as adults, that PFH's observations are right on target.

Supported? You mean something like, "Yeah, honey, go ahead and take that ASL class in college."?

But, let's get back to a discussion of this particular study, shall we?

"Without her parents"? From what I have read her parents were very supportive of keeping in touch with deaf people..
And "meeting her cultural identity".. Implies her cultural identity is Deaf.. I'm quite sure she is not thinking in those labels you are putting on her...
She cones from a loving family and has great friends...

Your conclusion of both Without her parents" and "meeting her cultural identity" are without foundation..
Not a surprise coming from you..

With foundation. But since you didn't ask...

Back