Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

of course, i didn't forget what they said that. I was like 5 yrs old to 6 yrs old.
And since I have seen a picture of you, I would say that was about 20 years ago. :wave:

Wirelessly posted

thanks for agreeing with me. You are absolutely right. If you only seek out people who choose to affiliate with the Deaf community, you will tend to see similar stories. If you broaden your search to include other modailities and choices, you see a much more diverse group.

Unfortunately, for you at least, I am not agreeing with you. No one here limits themselves to affiliation with the Deaf community alone. We are involved, on a daily basis, with people who come from the same environment you have described, and are seeking a way to make themselves whole after the damage has been done.:cool2:

If you show your children that you feel they are somehow defective, they will never forget it.

You are absolutely correct. And that message is communicated in ways that hearing parents so focused on fixing their child don't even consider. Of course, they will say, "But I tell my child that she/he is perfect just the way she/he is." And the message the child gets is that words and deeds don't match up. Guess which one they use to internalize their self concept.

You are absolutely correct. And that message is communicated in ways that hearing parents so focused on fixing their child don't even consider. Of course, they will say, "But I tell my child that she/he is perfect just the way she/he is." And the message the child gets is that words and deeds don't match up. Guess which one they use to internalize their self concept.

Yeah, Actions speak louder than words.

Unfortunately, for you at least, I am not agreeing with you. No one here limits themselves to affiliation with the Deaf community alone. We are involved, on a daily basis, with people who come from the same environment you have described, and are seeking a way to make themselves whole after the damage has been done.:cool2:

Not to mention that HLAA is mostly late deafened people. Also, fact of the matter is that most kids who are alum of oral schools eventually learn ASL...Heck, nowadays, if an oral kid starts really struggling they get sent to their state's deaf school! ORAL kids!

Not to mention that HLAA is mostly late deafened people. Also, fact of the matter is that most kids who are alum of oral schools eventually learn ASL...Heck, nowadays, if an oral kid starts really struggling they get sent to their state's deaf school! ORAL kids!

I just don't understand this tendency to compare apples to oranges. It destroys all validity.

I just don't understand this tendency to compare apples to oranges. It destroys all validity.

?
Also the thing is faire joure the population you're interacting with is still very young. Yes, this isn't the 60's when a lot of kids actually NEEDED ASL....but even a lot of oral sucesses stll have major major issues with reading and writing English, as well as hitting the fourth grade ceiling. Meaning they can hear and talk pretty well, but they're still doggie paddling.

Back