Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

Chances are great, given the number of CI users (and HA users) who were raised orally that end up in the Deaf community as adults, that PFH's observations are right on target.

Supported? You mean something like, "Yeah, honey, go ahead and take that ASL class in college."?

But, let's get back to a discussion of this particular study, shall we?

I don't know any CI kids but I do know deaf adults who were implanted as children and their stories seems to back up PFH and you.

Fallicious comparison. Too much age variance and no accounting of age related biological declines that occur. Additionally, Lotte's grandmother is not prelingually deafened.

And for the record, Postlinguals don't face the same issues that prelinguals face education wise or language wise.

Wirelessly posted

deafskeptic said:
Chances are great, given the number of CI users (and HA users) who were raised orally that end up in the Deaf community as adults, that PFH's observations are right on target.

Supported? You mean something like, "Yeah, honey, go ahead and take that ASL class in college."?

But, let's get back to a discussion of this particular study, shall we?

I don't know any CI kids but I do know deaf adults who were implanted as children and their stories seems to back up PFH and you.

and i know plenty who don't. It's about the circles you socialize in. When we were in utah and were socializing with the people involved with the bi-bi school, i knew a lot of people who grew up oral and discovered ASL later and dropped spoken language. When i started expanding my circle to include things like oral school activities, AGBell conferences, and hlaa walks, i met an entirely different group of people. Just as many, but with a totally different story.

Let's get back to the "research", shall we. These attempts to make it about this person or that person is simply a way to prevent discussion of this article. This article effectively supports what the Deaf here have been saying all along. Why can't we discuss that?

Wirelessly posted

and i know plenty who don't. It's about the circles you socialize in. When we were in utah and were socializing with the people involved with the bi-bi school, i knew a lot of people who grew up oral and discovered ASL later and dropped spoken language. When i started expanding my circle to include things like oral school activities, AGBell conferences, and hlaa walks, i met an entirely different group of people. Just as many, but with a totally different story.

When you restrict yourself to those that only match your perspective, you skew your conclusion.

When you restrict yourself to those that only match your perspective, you skew your conclusion.

Reminds me of kids that keep trying something until they get what they want; "I will ask Mom, then Dad, then Grandpa..."

Here is a bit of unpaid research I have conducted; I have asked a few lifelong deafs if they would have gotten a CI if they had a choice as children. All expenses paid. I asked these people over a period of a few years, from different locations.

None said they would have wanted one. All of them are happy as full deaf for life. None are wishing to be implanted, even now as adults.

Here is a bit of unpaid research I have conducted; I have asked a few lifelong deafs if they would have gotten a CI if they had a choice as children. All expenses paid. I asked these people over a period of a few years, from different locations.

None said they would have wanted one. All of them are happy as full deaf for life. None are wishing to be implanted, even now as adults.

Thank you for sharing that. If we can consider the OP to be valid as anecdote, then this anecdote is equally valid.

Even I wouldn't have wanted to be implanted as a child.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

thanks for agreeing with me. You are absolutely right. If you only seek out people who choose to affiliate with the Deaf community, you will tend to see similar stories. If you broaden your search to include other modailities and choices, you see a much more diverse group.

Wirelessly posted

thanks for agreeing with me. You are absolutely right. If you only seek out people who choose to affiliate with the Deaf community, you will tend to see similar stories. If you broaden your search to include other modailities and choices, you see a much more diverse group.
If you show your children that you feel they are somehow defective, they will never forget it.

Back