Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

I have a bunch of packs of screws for the eyeglasses since son keeps losing his. Also, his frames broke and we can't afford to get him new glasses yet. Guess what I used? Gorilla Glue. It holds beautifully. Granted, he can't use the eyeglass case at night now, but, he can still wear the glasses for now.

So true! I still remember what my parents feel about my deafness. Action speaks louder than words. Really you can't just tell your kid is perfect without actions match what you say. Kids usually believe action more than words cos words can be lied and action almost always truth.

My family think same too.

I'm sorry to hear that. :hug:

A really interesting read, Cloggy. I think we, too, fall in line with the majority of parents described in this report who have had their actual experience with CIs surpass their initial expectations.

It doesn't surprise me that the students' mainstream teachers, on the other hand, score the kids a bit lower than the parents -- the researchers pointed out several possible reasons for this. I think there's a real challenge in keeping all of the educators involved with our children knowledgeable about CIs and aware that these kids are deaf and may not hear or learn in the same way that typical hearing kids do -- despite what's most often an excellent access to sound -- especially as they get up in years and interact with so many different teachers during the day. Even in a well-informed deaf school environment, we've had occasions for 'teaching the teacher' -- most often with new teachers or aides/assistants/paras -- and the school itself has taken steps to retrain all of the staff on the differences between teaching and accommodating a child with CIs and a child with HAs.

Maybe it's not a negative that the teachers in this study score the students somewhat lower than parents. I think I'd rather have a teacher recognize that the student is deaf and may require a different approach to learning and accessing information than he or she assume that just because a hearing loss may not be apparent on the surface it's not an issue. I think what matters is what these teachers do with this information, with these assessments -- how they adapt to better meet the needs of the students.

Thanks and same to you.

Best thing to do is ignore them think that and prove them wrong.

Until they get bored. Apparently their own forum isn't good enough for them, so they want to come and prove us wrong some more.

Back