Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

Doesn't it ever get old? For any of you all? It's just all nonsense! I often lurk from time to time and quite frankly, it's disgusting, how the argument goes round and round. Let's agree to disagree..... there are many implant successes as well as failures - and there are many factors that contribute to BOTH sides. One thing that I have seen and I hold deep in my heart as a FACT- your child should have ALL tools necessary- ASL, speech, etc. so that they are equipped to live their lives to the fullest potential. That's all we as parents want for our children. However, remember, whatever you choose to do, your child is still DEAF and embrace that as well. Everything else, is secondary. I want the best for my son and I will MOVE mountains to make sure that he gets it. Nothing will ever stand in my way and he is perfect the way he is. Be grateful for all that we have now- relay, interpreters, cart, closed captioning, etc, cuz I remember not so long ago a very different life. That's the end of my diatribe . Back to the fighting! :)........

Doesn't it ever get old? For any of you all? It's just all nonsense! I often lurk from time to time and quite frankly, it's disgusting, how the argument goes round and round. Let's agree to disagree..... there are many implant successes as well as failures - and there are many factors that contribute to BOTH sides. One thing that I have seen and I hold deep in my heart as a FACT- your child should have ALL tools necessary- ASL, speech, etc. so that they are equipped to live their lives to the fullest potential. That's all we as parents want for our children. However, remember, whatever you choose to do, your child is still DEAF and embrace that as well. Everything else, is secondary. I want the best for my son and I will MOVE mountains to make sure that he gets it. Nothing will ever stand in my way and he is perfect the way he is. Be grateful for all that we have now- relay, interpreters, cart, closed captioning, etc, cuz I remember not so long ago a very different life. That's the end of my diatribe . Back to the fighting! :)........

You call it fighting; I call it discussion. You say your child is perfect; is that pre-CI or post-CI?

Glad to see another hearing parent telling the deaf that there is NO WAY you would have allowed them to stay deaf if they were your offspring. :roll:

If you show your children that you feel they are somehow defective, they will never forget it.

So true! I still remember what my parents feel about my deafness. Action speaks louder than words. Really you can't just tell your kid is perfect without actions match what you say. Kids usually believe action more than words cos words can be lied and action almost always truth.

My own dad thinks I have a low IQ.

My family think same too.

At least you are realistic. That is all we ask.:cool2:

BTW... my severe to profoundly deaf son has all the tools he needs to be successful, happy, and well adjusted. A CI just wasn't necessary for inclusion in the tool box.

BTW... my severe to profoundly deaf son has all the tools he needs to be successful, happy, and well adjusted. A CI just wasn't necessary for inclusion in the tool box.
Some of us tool guys use a wrench as a hammer. Glad to see your son successfully using the tools that are there.

On the other hand, back in those days only the deep profound kids could get them right? I do see a lot of " oh my child needs them b/c they can't hear in noisy situtions...or "my child can't hear s's!!!" and some wiggle room ...I know of kids who could hear 60% with HA, who got CI b/c unaided they were profound.

Some of us tool guys use a wrench as a hammer. Glad to see your son successfully using the tools that are there.

He used to use my cooking knives to work on his bicycle! Even after I bought him a wrench set and a couple of screwdrivers. Guys!

On the other hand, back in those days only the deep profound kids could get them right? I do see a lot of " oh my child needs them b/c they can't hear in noisy situtions...or "my child can't hear s's!!!" and some wiggle room ...I know of kids who could hear 60% with HA, who got CI b/c unaided they were profound.

Nope. That was the day of the experimental childhood implantation and there were no guidelines really. At least when he was younger, it was. He simply didn't need them as he got older, and has never wanted to have one.

Nope. That was the day of the experimental childhood implantation and there were no guidelines really. At least when he was younger, it was. He simply didn't need them as he got older, and has never wanted to have one.

Really? I didn't know that!

He used to use my cooking knives to work on his bicycle! Even after I bought him a wrench set and a couple of screwdrivers. Guys!
I have used butter knives as screwdrivers. *slinking away*

Silly me! I spent a whole 1.50 on an eyeglass screwdriver. :giggle:

Which reminds me I need to get my glasses fixed. I used a head pin to hold the frame together as the pin fell out of my glasses and I can't find it.

Which reminds me I need to get my glasses fixed. I used a head pin to hold the frame together as the pin fell out of my glasses and I can't find it.

I have gone for months with a toothpick stuck in there and the broken off at the top.:giggle:

I have gone for months with a toothpick stuck in there and the broken off at the top.:giggle:

It took me a while to figure out how to keep the lens from falling off when I tried to put the frame back together. Now, I will prolly put off seeing someone to fix my glasses for months as the lenses aren't falling out anymore. :P

Back