Research into Family perceptions of Cochlear Implants

I learned NOTHING about deaf culture from my parents or family.

I learned it from the Deaf. All of it.

So, that means you grew up with the culture of your family, correct? That is what Rick is saying. Almost everyone grows up learning their culture from their family of origin. If you later choose to affiliate with another culture, you learn that as an adult.

I learned NOTHING about deaf culture from my parents or family.

I learned it from the Deaf. All of it.

Yea same here.

Parents have a responsibility to expose their deaf children to Deaf culture and other deaf children.

So, that means you grew up with the culture of your family, correct? That is what Rick is saying. Almost everyone grows up learning their culture from their family of origin. If you later choose to affiliate with another culture, you learn that as an adult.

but but but... you fell for what rick was doing. :)

Yea same here.

Parents have a responsibility to expose their deaf children to Deaf culture and other deaf children.

Ok, I'll bite. Why? Why can't they choose to raise them as a deaf child, and have them around deaf adults and deaf children, but not (ASL) Deaf people?

Ok, I'll bite. Why? Why can't they choose to raise them as a deaf child, and have them around deaf adults and deaf children, but not (ASL) Deaf people?

I was around other oral deaf people and we were an unhappy bunch trying to outdo each other to be as "hearing" as we can because of hearing values being put on us constantly. We didnt know about Deaf culture or ASL. Now, all of us do and we are much much happier.

You got the best of both worlds so why cant deaf children of hearing parents too?

So, what's the objection?

I remember when my parents introduced me to other deaf kids and deaf school. My parents were looking at me and smile on their faces. I didn't get it but kept going on until I was about 10 yrs old. It slowly dawned on me that i realize that I am different than my family. I understandwhy my parents smiled when i met other deaf kids. I started sleeping over my friend who have awesome Deaf parents almost every weekend. I loved being there and my other deaf friend went there too. My friend's deaf parents did not mind having around 9 deaf kids sleep over at their house. My friend has deaf brother and HOH brother and they also invited their friends. thats why we constantly slept over their house for a long time. i even loved listening to my friend's deaf father's deaf friends who visited there and telling lots of old jokes or old deaf stories. I missed that!! so i am glad that my parents allowed me to be who i want to be. It brought me to get close with my parents and siblings. when I came home from deaf family and i was always telling my parents what was going on over there. Of course some of stuffs that i didnt tell them that we kids did something bad things. :shock: thank god we all are good. I always loved being around friends deaf parents. it's real awesome!

i learn a great deal about Deaf culture and my parents' sides as italian and czechoslovkia ways that family tends to do the stuffs. But deaf culture is a big impact on my life.

Last edited:
I was around other oral deaf people and we were an unhappy bunch trying to outdo each other to be as "hearing" as we can because of hearing values being put on us constantly. We didnt know about Deaf culture or ASL. Now, all of us do and we are much much happier.

You got the best of both worlds so why cant deaf children of hearing parents too?

So, what's the objection?

Yuck, that sounds like bad friends!

I guess the question goes to whether or not your experience was universal. If there are deaf people who grew up in similar situations, but are perfectly content not being Deaf, they have as much right to their life as you do.

I think ASL is best for all deaf kids, but that is just my opinion. I have met other deaf adults who strongly advocate for oralism, and they have plenty of reasons, research and success stories to back them up. I just am not in the camp of believing that I know the only right answer!

They can. but usually the end result as we have seen - many feel broken until they meet the Deaf.

Are you advocating for more broken souls?

Yuck, that sounds like bad friends!

I guess the question goes to whether or not your experience was universal. If there are deaf people who grew up in similar situations, but are perfectly content not being Deaf, they have as much right to their life as you do.

I think ASL is best for all deaf kids, but that is just my opinion. I have met other deaf adults who strongly advocate for oralism, and they have plenty of reasons, research and success stories to back them up. I just am not in the camp of believing that I know the only right answer!

No, they are all now my dear friends. One of them died in 1995 at 23 years old and to this day I miss her especially on Christmas Eve, the day she died.

It was the adults who should have been ashamed of themselves for feeding us the values that being "hearing" is being better than deaf. The values that the 4 of us grew up with. Thank god, we overcame those terrible values of the hearing culture and now, are thriving in Deaf culture in different parts of America.

The hearing adults need to stop keeping this vicious cycle going on. They are the ones who are responsible for it.

They can and there are parents who do but as you see from a few of these posters because they had unhappy childhoods it is impossible for any other deaf children to experience a different childhood.

In their world all deaf people and the parents who raise them must conform to what they consider the norm. To the the Deaf experience is singular and universal.

Thankfully, there are those who still understand that like other people a deaf person is also a unique individual and that there is no one or best way to raise a deaf child.
Rick

No, they are all now my dear friends. One of them died in 1995 at 23 years old and to this day I miss her especially on Christmas Eve, the day she died.

I'm sorry your friend passed away so young... May she rest in peace...
It was the adults who should have been ashamed of themselves for feeding us the values that being "hearing" is being better than deaf. The values that the 4 of us grew up with.
Those adults should have been ashamed of themselves, for making you and your friends think that hearing was better than deaf. It sounds like they were not very well informed about how damaging such ignorant messages can be. Thank god, we overcame those terrible values of the hearing culture and now, are thriving in Deaf culture in different parts of America. ? Is that sentence exactly what you mean, or were you trying to convey that you're grateful you were able to move past the ignorance that was fed to you that hearing was better than deaf?

The hearing adults need to stop keeping this vicious cycle going on. They are
the ones who are responsible for it.

I agree that it's up to the adults in society to enable children to feel good and positive about who they are as an individual.

Last edited:
I remember when my parents introduced me to other deaf kids and deaf school. My parents were looking at me and smile on their faces. I didn't get it but kept going on until I was about 10 yrs old. It slowly dawned on me that i realize that I am different than my family. I understandwhy my parents smiled when i met other deaf kids. I started sleeping over my friend who have awesome Deaf parents almost every weekend. I loved being there and my other deaf friend went there too. My friend's deaf parents did not mind having around 9 deaf kids sleep over at their house. My friend has deaf brother and HOH brother and they also invited their friends. thats why we constantly slept over their house for a long time. i even loved listening to my friend's deaf father's deaf friends who visited there and telling lots of old jokes or old deaf stories. I missed that!! so i am glad that my parents allowed me to be who i want to be. It brought me to get close with my parents and siblings. when I came home from deaf family and i was always telling my parents what was going on over there. Of course some of stuffs that i didnt tell them that we kids did something so illegal stuffs. :shock: thank god we all are good. I always loved being around friends deaf parents. it's real awesome!

i learn a great deal about Deaf culture and my parents' sides as italian and czechoslovkia ways that family tends to do the stuffs. But deaf culture is a big impact on my life.

We too always made it a point to expose our daughter to deaf adults and deaf children. As a result, she grew up always knowing she was deaf and having deaf friends many of whom remain her friends today. The difference is that they were for the most part oral deaf, whether they considered themselves Deaf or deaf was not a determining factor.

Rick

We too always made it a point to expose our daughter to deaf adults and deaf children. As a result, she grew up always knowing she was deaf and having deaf friends many of whom remain her friends today. The difference is that they were for the most part oral deaf, whether they considered themselves Deaf or deaf was not a determining factor.

Rick

That's good, contributed to her learning ASL on her own out of the house. Hence, meeting her cultural identity without her parents.

^^ Which exactly was the point we were making earlier in the thread.

I agree that it's up to the adults in society to enable children to feel good and positive about who they are as an individual.

I am grateful that I found a culture that embraces deafness and learned how to love myself and not be ashamed of myself as a deaf person after growing up trying to fit into the hearing world.

That's why all deaf children should be exposed to both cultures and both languages instead of just oral/hearing world only. Only the parents are the ones who restrict the children to the hearing/oral-only world.

A child born deaf from hearing parents Is not born in Deaf society. Does not have Deaf heritage. The deaf child can hear. Sign language does not need to be her natural language. Any language can be her first..

In another word, you consider your daughter not to be deaf but HEARING. So don't bother saying that she can hear and avoid the word "hearing" with us. We can see thru that long time ago. This is ALLDeaf so why don't you stick with CI forum and leave us alone????

The difference is?

Don't forget: countless of these same deaf people you speak of eventually find their way and go to deaf gatherings, learn sign language regardless, etc...

Oh, and some of them have CI's too. Some of them were oral only.

Again, your point?

Historically 90% of deaf children were born to hearing parents so if they didn't have their own language, heritage and etc...then why and how Deaf culture and ASL are in existence. That says a lot about what you stated, PFH.

Yep. In "When the Mind Hears", Clerc (I think) said that when they close the doors on ASL, ASL comes in thru windows.

Absolutely not.

I was totally isolated as a kid. My family is not d/Deaf. I grew up with the culture I learned in school (deaf friends) and external deaf friends.

If you'd bothered to read any of my previous posts, you would have known this. :roll:

Absolutely not.

I was totally isolated as a kid. My family is not d/Deaf. I grew up with the culture I learned in school (deaf friends) and external deaf friends.

If you'd bothered to read any of my previous posts, you would have known this. :roll:

That and another thing that people who defend the hearing way forget this...

Too often, I have seen deaf children not knowing anything about their ethnitic backgrounds or cultures due to their parents not willing to learn ASL to communicate with them.

Do you, hearing supporters, advocate for this?

A child adopted from China, not a child that just looks Chinese.. and therefore has to be Chinese..

A child born deaf from hearing parents Is not born in Deaf society. Does not have Deaf heritage. The deaf child can hear. Sign language does not need to be her natural language. Any language can be her first..

:roll: Cloggy, you do not understand. The deaf child can hear but NOT like a hearing kid. They hear like HOH kids. Hoh does not equal hearing....all that means is that its a lot easier for them to aquire speech without having to go to Clarke/CID etc for years and years. Many of us here ARE hoh or benifited strongly from CI/HA, and many of our parents bought into simaliar theories....yet here we be. Makes you think!

Back