Pay Docked because of Facebook status

:-o @ this thread. Wondering if I'm just plain damn lucky or something because my boss is cool with me even though I often arrive late, leave early. I got a low mark for my tardiness on my work performance review but still end up with "Excellent" rating.

I think it's just a silly matter of office politic. You mentioned that your boss is power-hungry bully :roll: but I have a good relationship with my boss and several other directors including the President... maybe that gave me some leeway because as long as I get the job done, no problem.

Or, you follow your work policy. The problem here is the SICK leave. She should have used a PERSONAL day instead, which would have been fine. As it was, she used her SICK leave and wasn't sick. Therefore, that's what got her zapped and her pay docked. Also, putting it on FB didn't help matters, either. On that, live and learn.

As for any legal recourse, I doubt she has any given what I just stated. It really sucks, but its the way it is.

Or, you follow your work policy. The problem here is the SICK leave. She should have used a PERSONAL day instead, which would have been fine. As it was, she used her SICK leave and wasn't sick. Therefore, that's what got her zapped and her pay docked. Also, putting it on FB didn't help matters, either. On that, live and learn.

As for any legal recourse, I doubt she has any given what I just stated. It really sucks, but its the way it is.

You have to admit it's a bit of a technicality. Whether you're sick or going to a funeral, you need a day off for a legitimate reason. If I were the boss I would have said to be more specific in the future about the reason for the day off and would have only docked pay after letting my employee know.

You have to admit it's a bit of a technicality. Whether you're sick or going to a funeral, you need a day off for a legitimate reason. If I were the boss I would have said to be more specific in the future about the reason for the day off and would have only docked pay after letting my employee know.

Her boss tried to do that by signing off.....Then she goes and posts it on FB...Not really a technicality. Policy is policy and we are talking about a school here which means there are probably quite a few employees. If you start breaking the rules for one you have to break them for all. Like Oceanbreeze said it is called sick leave for a reason.

how many of you took sick off when you weren't sick? (don't answer, just think about it) I know several people who weren't sick decided to use up all his sick time just to use it up before the end of the year.

how many of you took sick off when you weren't sick? (don't answer, just think about it) I know several people who weren't sick decided to use up all his sick time just to use it up before the end of the year.

When I was younger and working for Farmer's Insurance, I hated that job so much so I would play sick.

With my teaching job, I go to work sick sometimes because there is just so much to do at my job. Then, I end up being so miserable and have to leave early.

how many of you took sick off when you weren't sick? ....
Not me. If I don't work, I don't get paid, so I work even when I don't feel well. If I had to miss work for a personal reason, I wouldn't expect to get paid for that time.

I did have to miss two assignments because I attended funerals. I made other arrangements for those assignments. I didn't get paid for those times. Why should I? I wasn't working during those times.

When I was in the Navy we didn't have "sick" leave. If we were too sick or too injured to work, then we stayed home (with permission). If we needed time to take off for a funeral or personal business that took more than one day we had to use some of our annual leave days. Less than one day, such as getting off early in the afternoon, was considered liberty, not leave. I never said I was sick in order to take care of personal business. That would be considered malingering, and that's a punishable offense.

If an employer allows paid time off for its employees to take care of personal business, that's a wonderful benefit. If not, well, that's normal, not draconian.

probably 1-2 a year

Her boss tried to do that by signing off.....Then she goes and posts it on FB...Not really a technicality. Policy is policy and we are talking about a school here which means there are probably quite a few employees. If you start breaking the rules for one you have to break them for all. Like Oceanbreeze said it is called sick leave for a reason.

I'm not saying not to follow the rules. I'm saying give a little leeway the first time especially if the person doesn't know better (or doesn't happen to remember every detail outlined in the contract), especially if it has no effect on others in the end.

you see, my point is, some people are lucky that they don't have co-workers who play spy for their supervisor while others are unlucky. Your supervisor isn't going to spy on you unless he is a stalker (for work purposes).

we spend 8 hours at work, not allow to do anything else but work, no socializing, nothing... Just work, work, work and our supervisor still have to spy on us on what we do at home?

I'm not saying not to follow the rules. I'm saying give a little leeway the first time especially if the person doesn't know better (or doesn't happen to remember every detail outlined in the contract), especially if it has no effect on others in the end.

It sounds like they did give leeway......People are treating it like a penalty......pay was docked. But really it is just enforcing policy. And even in that regard it appears they met her half way because they only docked half of the pay. Under the policy there was to be no pay

you see, my point is, some people are lucky that they don't have co-workers who play spy for their supervisor while others are unlucky. Your supervisor isn't going to spy on you unless he is a stalker (for work purposes).

we spend 8 hours at work, not allow to do anything else but work, no socializing, nothing... Just work, work, work and our supervisor still have to spy on us on what we do at home?

Yep. It's one of those things most people do, just some get caught.

It sounds like they did give leeway......People are treating it like a penalty......pay was docked. But really it is just enforcing policy. And even in that regard it appears they met her half way because they only docked half of the pay. Under the policy there was to be no pay

Oh, only half pay was docked? At least that's more reasonable.

yep facebook had changed alot... so I already set my stupid facebook on private long time ago but status hell with it I let everyone read it but on other hand... I decided to keep it clear for now cuz if i don't have better things to say then don't say it on facebook ;)

I am seriously removing myself from Facebook. It's gets worse and worse as time goes on. Not really worth my time.

Ask Botti - she did hers

Right now I am just deleting or removing all kinds of posts and trying to keep it a little cleaner. I have given up playing any games.

not many are aware of this site but yeah people can find me on facebook unless I set it on private ;) but anyway... my parents knows I'm probably resigstered on few forums but they said nothing cuz they realized i'm clever and i don't really stay and surf thru forums only if i am bored.. :) on other hand... I'm too busy admiring my bb.. ;) anyway but i will try alldeaf.com mobile but on other hand I don't like it when my bb battery goes down fast if i surf thru www that much so I don't bother using it that much anyway just be careful with who you chose friends to be in your facebook account :) but going off topic here but I have one friend who died last year but his facebook account still is up but how long it will be deleted completely then? that is my question... :hmm:

Back