Pay Docked because of Facebook status

I will admit to this one when I was a teenager.

My former co-worker and I were neighbours; we were neighbours first before we were co-workers.

Apparently my co-worker called in sick; I was called in to replace him.

I didn't know it was my co-worker who called in sick; I took the dogs outside before I left for work.

Lo and behold, it was my co-worker roasting in the sun!

I arrived at work and inquired about who I was replacing; the boss mentioned my neighbour's name.

I just quipped- "Well; he must be that sick enough he has to roast in the sun!"

Oh the boss went on the phone and called him back to work!

:angel:

I do have a pet peeve about those kind of people, ah heck I have a pet peeve about almost everything. :laugh2:

I got a hefty 50% of my pay docked because the director of personnel at my workplace "heard" through Facebook (she is not a friend on my FB page) that I was using my sick leave to attend a funeral (my husband's grandfather passed away, and he was out of state). PLUS I will be docked again because she shifted my summer pay one week back.

I had already gotten my leave request PRE-APPROVED from both my principal and the supt of the school to use my sick time for this purpose, as I had plenty of sick leave time I had accumulated this year. When I returned from the funeral (three days), I got word that I was going to get docked as LWOP because 1) I cannot use sick leave for funeral purposes, 2) since the dead person was not a direct blood relative, then I cannot use the family emergency leave, and 3) for "lying" on my leave request by putting in sick leave instead of LWOP. The supt shrugged his shoulders and said, "well, that's policy so be it." My principal advised me to watch what I say on Facebook. My status was telling my friends and family (isn't that what FB is all about?) to pray for my husband because he was really hurt during this time.

I am just appalled. :mad2:

From what you stated above, it sounds like you didn't follow policy, so therefore, they had a right to dock your pay.

It sucks, but that's life.

Repost? This is something that happened to me a few days ago, and I'm trying to grasp how to deal with it...legally and morally. Plus how to support my family in the next two weeks because I can't even pay my rent thanks to the chuck of pay she took out.

And Bos, well, the personnel director is not a FB friend. I have strict privacy settings on...so it seems that maybe she heard about it through someone. I do have the pre-approved form signed, so that'd be in my favor...policy or not, once something is preapproved, they can't go back on it, can they? Policy or not...it's COLD what she did.

Sounds like the district has a policy but your principal was willing to overlook it for you. Then the higher ups got word of it. My advice would be to take your lumps. You have a case of course....with it in writing. But at what expense. Would you want to risk the pricinpal losing their job for violating policy? Potential black balling in your field? The alienation of co workers who may be fond of the principal? Little issues in schools often have the potential to become a big mess.

The choice is yours but to weigh the pros and cons first. Just my opinion though.

I have to agree, that's ridiculous. Just cause it's not a blood-relative, all the sudden the person who passed means nothing to you? Must really suck for adopted people. :roll:

Never hurts to keep your FB as secure as possible, either, though. Seems like businesses have been using FB more and more for hiring and firing. And as opposed as I am to that, we have to cover our asses.

BTW I agree that the policy sucks.......I just don't know that it would be wise to fight it. Perhaps try to change it for the next time.

BTW I agree that the policy sucks.......I just don't know that it would be wise to fight it. Perhaps try to change it for the next time.

Of course. It's the policy so you gotta follow it but maybe you can help change it for future times. Someone should be able to go to their friend's funeral without having pay docked.

Of course. It's the policy so you gotta follow it but maybe you can help change it for future times. Someone should be able to go to their friend's funeral without having pay docked.

Yep, It's like a penaly for being healthy

My former co-worker and I were neighbours; we were neighbours first before we were co-workers.

I didn't know it was my co-worker who called in sick; I took the dogs outside before I left for work.

I arrived at work and inquired about who I was replacing; the boss mentioned my neighbour's name.

I do have a pet peeve about those kind of people, ah heck I have a pet peeve about almost everything. :laugh2:

Good on you for doing that!

I would have hated you if I was your neighbor/co-worker! :laugh2::laugh2:

OK this is why i dont have social networking pages on well used sites

i have them on smaller LOCKED sites that not many no about. and if someone(family and friends) wants to follow me that cool. but you wont find me on Facebook.

Sorry to hear that had to happen to you. I've noticed that people who apply for work disactivate Facebook or similar before they start hunting for jobs to prevent HR or the hiring management brown nose around your profile or something...I don't know how they get in and poke thru around the privacy settings. Who knows....

Yes, it is policy but so what? I'm one of those teachers who show up early, leave late, and often work on the weekends. I really do follow lesson plans that are coorelated with IEPs and the state frameworks...do you know how many teachers do that? Not many, to be honest.

It has been my experience the best workers are the first to be abused in any field.

Why should she have to watch what she says on FB especially about something that was ok'ed?

looking at what OP said - the supervisor OK'ed her permission for specific case - a sick leave... but the DB's reason does not qualify for that... like what OceanBreeze said.

It sucks.

:-o @ this thread. Wondering if I'm just plain damn lucky or something because my boss is cool with me even though I often arrive late, leave early. I got a low mark for my tardiness on my work performance review but still end up with "Excellent" rating.

I think it's just a silly matter of office politic. You mentioned that your boss is power-hungry bully :roll: but I have a good relationship with my boss and several other directors including the President... maybe that gave me some leeway because as long as I get the job done, no problem.

OK this is why i dont have social networking pages on well used sites

i have them on smaller LOCKED sites that not many no about. and if someone(family and friends) wants to follow me that cool. but you wont find me on Facebook.

And that is why I don't have a FB account.

And that is why I don't have a FB account.

hmm well I wouldn't use that kind of reasoning for situation like this otherwise..... I would say - "that's why I don't have ez-pass..... or alldeaf account"

choose wisely who to add to your FB account and know how to use FB with its extra privacy feature and... be careful what you say in FB

hmm well I wouldn't use that kind of reasoning for situation like this otherwise..... I would say - "that's why I don't have ez-pass..... or alldeaf account"

choose wisely who to add to your FB account and know how to use FB with its extra privacy feature and... be careful what you say in FB

Not as many people fequent AD as FB so I figure it's safer. I have no plans to tell anyone at work that I have an AD account.

you could just make them prove it and then delete the staus that pertains to it .

you could just make them prove it and then delete the staus that pertains to it .

that's actually good idea but.... a "showdown" with employer can make your work life shitty

that's actually good idea but.... a "showdown" with employer can make your work life shitty

Agreed, even if there is no 'showdown', your work life would be shitty.

I should know, it really sucks donkey balls....I stuck with it til the end, when they laid me off.

Back