Pay Docked because of Facebook status

If you have it in writing take it back to HR.

Repost? This is something that happened to me a few days ago, and I'm trying to grasp how to deal with it...legally and morally. Plus how to support my family in the next two weeks because I can't even pay my rent thanks to the chuck of pay she took out.

And Bos, well, the personnel director is not a FB friend. I have strict privacy settings on...so it seems that maybe she heard about it through someone. I do have the pre-approved form signed, so that'd be in my favor...policy or not, once something is preapproved, they can't go back on it, can they? Policy or not...it's COLD what she did.

Ok, you have two things in your favour.

You cannot legally be docked of your pay.

You actually have an act of audism against you by your employer by another employee's hearsay.

You seriously need to seek legal recourse.

Where do we cross the line of freedom of expression and speech? Has sites such as Facebook set us back years because now we are back to where the founding fathers were talking about not having to worry about choosing their words too carefully in case the big dogs didn't like it? What about violation of privacy, especially since she was NOT on my list of people to view my page? Where does it all end? Or does it? (reference to Secretblend's post)

That's why I dont like to post too much information online. Never know who could read them and have comments come back and bite me years from now.

Why should she have to watch what she says on FB especially about something that was ok'ed?

Why should she have to watch what she says on FB especially about something that was ok'ed?

I didn't say it was okay for them to do that. I was just commenting of why I personally don't like to put too much info online and that was a good example of why.

Where do we cross the line of freedom of expression and speech? Has sites such as Facebook set us back years because now we are back to where the founding fathers were talking about not having to worry about choosing their words too carefully in case the big dogs didn't like it? What about violation of privacy, especially since she was NOT on my list of people to view my page? Where does it all end? Or does it?

It's awful that people can do this without evidences or proofs from word of mouth (of course, if she really wanted proof, she could find it).

Well said.

Why should we even have to watch our words or our backs when we post on Facebook?

Facebook and our jobs are two separate entities.

Whoever chose to muddle between those two need to learn a thing or two about professional boundaries- big time.

*858585* :shock:

Another story...this one really pisses me off even to this minute. A few months ago my sister died from the swine flu. Her funeral was on the Friday before our week off for Thanksgiving. The policy states that if you take more than 1 hour leave on this day (any day before three or more days of off time), then you will not get paid for that leave. I could not afford to miss one week of pay. I had to miss half of my sister's funeral. I will never, ever, ever forgive them or myself for it.

Yes, it is policy but so what? I'm one of those teachers who show up early, leave late, and often work on the weekends. I really do follow lesson plans that are coorelated with IEPs and the state frameworks...do you know how many teachers do that? Not many, to be honest. And they couldn't let me leave two hours early? I think it is so morally wrong. It disgusts me morethan this Facebook incident.

Same thing happened to my aunt. my aunt was working in the same private company with her daughter-in-law. And they lived in the same household as well.Their boss knew their emails too. One day my aunt called in sick and needed to go out to the drugstore. The in-law didn't know she woke up sick and when the boss emailed her and asked she was sick, she told him she does not think she is sick because she was gone. My aunt came back and found out she was fired. What was so sad was that the boss was using my aunt's daughter-in-law as his little spy just because they lived in the same household. I don't know why the in-law did what she did, but my aunt was very upset that she didn't say "I'm not sure" to the boss. They had a bitter relationship since and live separately.

Jeeze, where do you work, Baja? "Tight Sphincters 'R' Us"?

Another story...this one really pisses me off even to this minute. A few months ago my sister died from the swine flu. Her funeral was on the Friday before our week off for Thanksgiving. The policy states that if you take more than 1 hour leave on this day (any day before three or more days of off time), then you will not get paid for that leave. I could not afford to miss one week of pay. I had to miss half of my sister's funeral. I will never, ever, ever forgive them or myself for it.

Yes, it is policy but so what? I'm one of those teachers who show up early, leave late, and often work on the weekends. I really do follow lesson plans that are coorelated with IEPs and the state frameworks...do you know how many teachers do that? Not many, to be honest. And they couldn't let me leave two hours early? I think it is so morally wrong. It disgusts me morethan this Facebook incident.

You arent the only one..I show up early and used to leave late (stopped since I started my work out regime) and if I am late for work due to traffic or whatever, my personal leave hours get docked or if I didnt have any left, then leave without pay. HR really sucks.

I am sorry about this. Like Mrs. Bucket said...legal resources especially if you have the pre-approval in writing.

Deafbagal, your issues just left me with unpleasant reminders of my old workplace in Ashland, VA. I would never place any info that can be used against me online. My policy is that I don't trust anyone at work after that exp.

Your workplace policy is very similar to my old workplace policy.

That said, I can see why you would think that it wouldn't be an issue with your boss.

Jeeze, where do you work, Baja? "Tight Sphincters 'R' Us"?

lmao...that sounds like it! The personal director is just power-hungry and loves to push people around...I'm not the only teacher who's having problems with her.

When I had to miss half of my sister's funeral, I really became bitter about my workplace...it really did break my heart. Then to have the whole FB incident. I didn't use sick leave to go on a frigging cruise...I was attending a funeral to be with my husband, who really did need me.

I had to choose between putting food on the table for my kids and spending the last day on this earth with my sister before she plunged beneath it...a person should never have to make that choice. Ever.

I have to agree, that's ridiculous. Just cause it's not a blood-relative, all the sudden the person who passed means nothing to you? Must really suck for adopted people. :roll:

Never hurts to keep your FB as secure as possible, either, though. Seems like businesses have been using FB more and more for hiring and firing. And as opposed as I am to that, we have to cover our asses.

Back