Obama missed Boy Scouts 100th anniversary

It is in the OP's top thread. This is what I found what it said.

The White House said Tuesday that the fundraisers, not the TV appearance, prevented the president from attending.

Is that suppose to be the BSA fundraisers? :hmm:

:lol: No. obama chose not to attend the BSA because he was planning to attend some fundraisers.

But the president will instead be traveling Wednesday to New York for a taping of the ABC show, as well as Democratic fundraisers and a stop in New Jersey. The talk show appearance comes as campaign season moves into full swing, but also amid efforts to cap the Gulf oil spill for good, contain the damage from an unprecedented leak of Afghanistan war documents and battle Arizona over its immigration law -- set to go into effect Thursday. Obama also has an out-of-town event planned for Friday in Detroit.

But while the Jamboree lasts until next Tuesday, the president is sending his regards via a videotaped message.

Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said the organization knew Obama's invitation would hinge on his schedule and found out two months ago that he would not be able to attend.

"It just depends on his schedule," he said, adding that "there's always a spot" available for the president during the Jamboree. Obama also serves as honorary president of the Boy Scouts of America.

The White House said Tuesday that the fundraisers, not the TV appearance, prevented the president from attending.

It is in the OP's top thread. This is what I found what it said.

Is that suppose to be the BSA fundraisers? :hmm:
They were fundraisers for the Democrat party, not for the Boy Scouts. Obama attended Democrat fundraisers instead of the Boy Scout Jamboree.

...It seem to me that BSA did not want him to attend the Jamboree at all for a reason maybe because he is different and black. And because he has never been a Boy Scout himself. That is very offensive. I guess this is why he decide that he does not have to attend the Jamboree if they don't him there. :hmm:
The Boy Scouts invited Obama to attend just like they invited all the other Presidents in the past. The President of the United States is also the honorary president of the Boy Scouts, so he is always welcome at all their events.

The Obama administration expained their reasons for not attending, so it is okay as far as the Scouts go. (I understand that 40 Scouts suffered heat exhaustion while waiting for Bush.) Anyway, I started as a Cub Scout, became a Boy Scout, and was turned down by the Civil Air Patrol because I was deaf. I have mixed feelings about being a Scout. I remember the good times we had camping, among other things, and I remember the flack I received for giving the Govenor of Oklahoma a regular handshake instead of a Scout handshake, lol. To this day I am still a Scout, since without the benefit of google I am proclaim "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent!" :lol:

No it was here in Ohio. I agree the ruling too because they are not breaking any laws but seeing it happen and seeing how many people turned their backs on my friend was an eye opener for me. I had to keep my atheism hidden from them and realized that that could happen to me too so I just left.

Exactly. It is not just discrimination against gays that they practice. They discriminate against anyone who does not follow their particular version of Christian principles. Not the best way in the world to raise a tolerant and caring young man.

Exactly. It is not just discrimination against gays that they practice. They discriminate against anyone who does not follow their particular version of Christian principles. Not the best way in the world to raise a tolerant and caring young man.

Hey there, jillio! :wave:
Let me join you in rabble-rousing, okay? Did you know that the scouts once used the Nazi salute with the Pledge of Allegiance? Shocked? Don't be, since ALL schoolchildren were required to do so once it was introduced into classes! :lol:

Hey there, jillio! :wave:
Let me join you in rabble-rousing, okay? Did you know that the scouts once used the Nazi salute with the Pledge of Allegiance? Shocked? Don't be, since ALL schoolchildren were required to do so once it was introduced into classes! :lol:

Yeppers, I was aware of that!:lol: Wonder how many others are, though? (What do you want to bet someone asks me to provide proof?:giggle: It woulkd be nice if one could condense a lifetime of learning into a single citation, but I don't know anyone who can do it!)

I'd say Obama made a wise and ethical decision not to attend the anniversary of such a discriminatory group. Why provide even covert support of their practices?

I have notice that you have always tried to explain "what If?" when it comes to racism in other threads. You are still discriminate against Blacks and Hispanics when you are talking about basketball which has nothing to do with the Boy Scouts of America. It is up to the President Obama's decision, even if he is the honorary member of the BSA.

It seem to me that BSA did not want him to attend the Jamboree at all for a reason maybe because he is different and black. And because he has never been a Boy Scout himself. That is very offensive. I guess this is why he decide that he does not have to attend the Jamboree if they don't him there. :hmm:

Do you have any proof that BSA did not want Obama there? I'll bet you don't. You say basketball has nothing to do with BSA and that i will agree with you. But this is about honor. Obama will honor an all-black team and will ignore BSA. Get this straight...there is no all-white school in a larger city in America...the DOJ would not allow it. So how can their be an all-black school? Do give me an answer to that question.
You want offensive? Then how about this. Many, many people call George Bush a liar (even here on AD) but Obama goes on "the View", tell a lie and few like me catch it and call Obama a liar but the news orginization ignore this outright lie because they dont want to make Obama look bad. They have no problem smearing Bush but want to keep Obama lilly-white. Now that is offensive to me.

Do you have any proof that BSA did not want Obama there? I'll bet you don't. You say basketball has nothing to do with BSA and that i will agree with you. But this is about honor. Obama will honor an all-black team and will ignore BSA. Get this straight...there is no all-white school in a larger city in America...the DOJ would not allow it. So how can their be an all-black school? Do give me an answer to that question.
You want offensive? Then how about this. Many, many people call George Bush a liar (even here on AD) but Obama goes on "the View", tell a lie and few like me catch it and call Obama a liar but the news orginization ignore this outright lie because they dont want to make Obama look bad. They have no problem smearing Bush but want to keep Obama lilly-white. Now that is offensive to me.

That's not simply true. *facepalm*

Yeppers, I was aware of that!:lol: Wonder how many others are, though? (What do you want to bet someone asks me to provide proof?:giggle: It woulkd be nice if one could condense a lifetime of learning into a single citation, but I don't know anyone who can do it!)

I'd say Obama made a wise and ethical decision not to attend the anniversary of such a discriminatory group. Why provide even covert support of their practices?
Was it ethical for Obama to claim that the reason he didn't attend the Jamboree was because he had previously scheduled the fund raising events, if instead the reason was he didn't attend because it is a "discriminatory group?"

If Obama believes they are a discriminatory group then why didn't he say so?

Which one is the real reason?

Was it ethical for Obama to claim that the reason he didn't attend the Jamboree was because he had previously scheduled the fund raising events, if instead the reason was he didn't attend because it is a "discriminatory group?"

:dunno: I guess we will never know unless he speak about it later probably in the years ahead. :hmm:

:dunno: I guess we will never know unless he speak about it later probably in the years ahead. :hmm:
Obama should be brave enough to tell the real reason he didn't attend the Jamboree.

I haven't read anything elsewhere even hinting that he considers the Boy Scouts to be a discriminatory group, so it was news to me.

Obama should be brave enough to tell the real reason he didn't attend the Jamboree.
Perhaps he already did, when he mentioned his fund raisers. Maybe that was it. Not everyone thinks the BSA is a big deal; maybe that includes his advisors.

Politics is all about power, and it appears he is working to raise funds to keep his party in power, rather than making a public display at the Jamboree. Americans can count on the Conservatives to call him out for every gaff he makes. If he had skipped "The View" he would probably be labeled sexist. So it goes.

I can only hope the Dems find another candidate in 2012, because this one is doomed. I intend to vote Democrat, just as my way of giving certain people the finger. All politicians lie. Party doesn't matter. So I will just look for the "D" and check the box. Simple. Saves me a bunch of time. The ads have already started, and they are all going right for the throat of the opponents. "Who cares what I will do, the other guy sucks!"

BTW, I was a Boy Scout for 4 years; a Cub Scout before that. Was a Patrol Leader and rank was a Star scout. Also had my first exposure to homosexuality in Boy Scouts, while camping. :eek3:

Last edited:
As an Eagle scout myself, I will vouch for the organization. I was never taught to hate or fear any other group. I learned a lot of good practical values. I turned out fine without any hateful or discriminatory views.

As an Eagle scout myself, I will vouch for the organization. I was never taught to hate or fear any other group. I learned a lot of good practical values. I made it through the organization and I don't hold any hateful or discriminatory views.
Well done! I give you the three finger salute!

I also have no personal issues with BSA. I thought it was a great experience. I learned a lot about the outdoors, and made numerous friends.

Well done! I give you the three finger salute!

I also have no personal issues with BSA. I thought it was a great experience. I learned a lot about the outdoors, and made numerous friends.
*Three-finger salute right back*

I'm a cub scout leader and I don't find anything offensive about the materials and activities. I stay away from religion entirely. I tell the boys that they may do the religion badges with their parents if they want to. Sometimes, I teach the kids about history and they like that.

I skipped the local jamboree with all of the speeches. Boring! Kids don't want to sit still listening to politicians, especially the younger ones. We're going fishing, camping, etc. Besides, the local ceremony was very late on a school night. Kids shouldn't be out until 9 or 10 on a school night.

I've never encountered any political, religious or sexual orientation issues. That doesn't mean that the national leadership doesn't do stupid things. Right now, the national leadership's biggest concern is getting leaders trained to protect boys from sexual abuse. I'm glad that they are finally getting serious about training leaders and enforcing rules.

because Boy Scout has an oath requiring the members to be morally straight and to pledge one's duty to God. All this outrage is not making any sense to me. It's unfounded and ridiculous. I don't know why ya'all got a beef with Boy Scout Association. It's a private organization with no federal funding and it has its specific policy. Same thing with any religious organization and any other private organization. They are not homophobic or discriminant. It's simply an organization with specific requirement. Nothing wrong with that.

If you got a problem with that - then go ahead and make a similar organization with different policy.

Are you going to demand Klu Klux Klan to accept black people and comply with anti-discrimination law? or Hells Angels to accept car enthusiasts? or a deaf organization to allow a hearie with no ASL as the President of the club?

:gpost:

He didn't claim it was a discriminatory group. That is a position that several posters, including myself, have taken. Has virtually nothing to do with Obama's reason for not attending, but is only indicative of our reasons for believing that the BSA is not the ethical, accepting, all good organization it portrays itself to be. So we, given that opinion, are certainly not upset by the fact that Obama had other things to do that evening.:cool2:

Back