Obama missed Boy Scouts 100th anniversary

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obama Missing Historic Boy Scout Jamboree for Fundraisers, 'View' Taping

President Obama will make history as the first sitting president on a daytime talk show when he visits with the ladies of "The View." But he'll be missing out on another historic occasion -- the Boy Scouts' Jamboree marking the group's 100th anniversary, right in the president's backyard.

The Jamboree kicked off this week at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, where organizers had invited the president to speak to the 45,000 scouts in attendance. All three of Obama's predecessors have made it to one Jamboree while in office.

But the president will instead be traveling Wednesday to New York for a taping of the ABC show, as well as Democratic fundraisers and a stop in New Jersey. The talk show appearance comes as campaign season moves into full swing, but also amid efforts to cap the Gulf oil spill for good, contain the damage from an unprecedented leak of Afghanistan war documents and battle Arizona over its immigration law -- set to go into effect Thursday. Obama also has an out-of-town event planned for Friday in Detroit.

But while the Jamboree lasts until next Tuesday, the president is sending his regards via a videotaped message.

Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said the organization knew Obama's invitation would hinge on his schedule and found out two months ago that he would not be able to attend.

"It just depends on his schedule," he said, adding that "there's always a spot" available for the president during the Jamboree. Obama also serves as honorary president of the Boy Scouts of America.

The White House said Tuesday that the fundraisers, not the TV appearance, prevented the president from attending.

"We were always going to be out of town that day," Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer told FoxNews.com in an e-mail. "It was never canceled."

The Boy Scouts released a statement acknowledging that Obama has hosted Boy Scouts groups in the Oval Office twice since taking office.

"We thank the president for his effort to recognize scouting and look forward to working with his administration as we work toward accomplishing our mission of preparing young people to become exceptional adults," the group said.

The Jamboree is held once every four years. This year's festivities mark the organization's 100-year anniversary -- scouts are scheduled to visit Washington, D.C., and other regional attractions in connection with the celebration.

Every president is typically invited, though not all are able to attend. Obama's three predecessors each made it to one Jamboree in person. President George W. Bush spoke in 2005, President Bill Clinton in 1997 and President George H.W. Bush in 1989....
FOXNews.com - Obama Missing Historic Boy Scout Jamboree for Fundraisers, 'View' Taping

That's too bad. :( Each Jamboree is every four years but this one was extra special because it was their 100th anniversary. He'll never again have that opportunity.

Consider that large percentages of Scout troops were segregated in the US until the late 1940's .

Just Fox playing politics. I would have skipped it too. As a former scout I have no respect for the organization

huh why? I actually had good time when I was in Boy Scouts

For the most part I did too. Made it into The Order of the Arrow and was working on becoming an Eagle when I left. My reason for leaving was that they kicked one of my scout friends out because he came out of the closet and they decided that the years of work he put in didn't mean anything.

No offense to any scouts or scout leaders out there, but, WHO CARES???

I mean, going to a taping of "The View" is kinda lame, but I could hardly blame him for not going to the scouts Jamboree.

For the most part I did too. Made it into The Order of the Arrow and was working on becoming an Eagle when I left. My reason for leaving was that they kicked one of my scout friends out because he came out of the closet and they decided that the years of work he put in didn't mean anything.

oh that. Is this from NJ? We had this exactly same case at NJ Supreme Court 10 years ago. The court ruled in Boy Scout's favor. I agree with its ruling. They don't allow atheists and agnostics either.

tent in the forest

Like other youth?
Segregation and discrimination among the Boy Scouts

By William J. Peace

Until my son expressed an interest in Scouting, I knew nothing about the Boy Scouts of America. When Tom entered first grade and wanted to join a Cub Scout pack, though, I began learning fast.

I found myself excluded from virtually all Scout activities because I use a wheelchair. Many Scouting events in the Westchester-Putnam Boy Scout Council were simply not accessible to wheelchairs.

At first I thought the lack of wheelchair access was simply because a disabled parent or child had never participated in Scouting locally, and I assumed my mere presence would heighten awareness of disability-related issues . It did not take long for me to realize my presence was not nearly enough.

Then I thought it was because the Scouts needed a little education. To this end, I agreed to take an active role, becoming a den leader and member of the Pack Executive Committee. With a wheelchair-using father active in Scouting and in a leadership role, surely wheelchair access would become a consideration, I figured -- after all, the Scouts were desperate for volunteers, and I was now giving a significant amount of my time to the organization.

At meetings I pointed out events that would present access problems. Surely, I thought, my participation would have an impact, for how could one justify excluding a leader?

Yet my requests for equal access have been continually ignored by my pack and the local council. It seems to be simply an issue they do not want to address.
Founded in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America has played a role in the lives of 100 million American boys. BSA is a multi-million-dollar organization with corporate offices in Texas and an endowment in excess of $2 billion.

The BSA has never been in sync with the times. In 2000, it won a Supreme Court victory banning gay members. It had fought for -- and has now won -- the right to classify itself as an exclusive club, one that actively discriminates against all those that are different. (Yet the BSA enjoys tax-exempt status, free use of county, state, and national parks and use of public school space. At the last Jamboree, the Federal government gave the Scouts over $1 million.) My own experiences show me that BSA's attitude toward disability is both antiquated and discriminatory.

According to the BSA's fact sheet on "Scouts With Disabilities and Special Needs," there are approximately 100,000 Scouts identified as "disabled." "Dr. James E. West, the first Chief Scout Executive, was himself disabled," says the fact sheet, which emphasizes that people who are disabled are to be treated with respect and stresses that BSA wants disabled boys to participate in its programs just as non-disabled boys do. It encourages including disabled Scouts in "mainstream" packs, troops, and venturers -- and clearly states this is the ideal.

However, inclusion of disabled Scouts is not always possible, it says, noting "there are many units composed of members with identical disabilities such as an all-blind Boy Scout Troop or an all-deaf Cub Scout pack. . . . Many of these special Scouting units are located in special schools or centers that make the Scouting program part of the curriculum." While the organization recognizes "the special needs of those with severe disabilities" and supposedly "encourages" disabled Scouts to participate in Scouting activities, in fact disabled Scouts and leaders seem frequently unwelcome, and often segregated into a "special unit."

In the handbook Scouting for Youth with a Physical Disability, the chapter on "The Youth in a Unit with Nondisabled Scouts" includes the topics "Judging the Youth's Limitations," "The Impossible Takes a Little Longer," "Helping Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers with Physical Disabilities" and "Will He Hold Us Back?"

The opening sentences of the book are telling:

"The troop lines up for the opening ceremony, moving into place at its leader's silent signal. This scene is routine, repeated tonight in thousands of cities and towns across America. . . . But there is a difference here. Three Scouts are in wheelchairs, another has only one arm, another stands on uneven legs, one has withered arms with fragile fingers, one has pale skin, and one waves his arm involuntarily during the Pledge of Allegiance. Before them stands a Scoutmaster. A saint perhaps? Maybe a physician or a physical therapist? Who else but a saint or a medical professional would try to lead this unlikely group?"

Regardless of intent, passages like this are troubling and deeply offensive. They suggest BSA remains woefully unprepared to deal with disabled leaders and boys who expect to be treated as equals.

Discrimination among the Boy Scouts

eh - your position is understandable but your reasoning is wrong.

You will say different if you were gay or bisexual, homophobia got on my strong reaction and not get along with any organizations whichever is homophobia, however any organizations are neutral with culture so that's fine with me and they will get my support, depends on what they are doing.

For BSA, they got none of my support and I don't care if you say that my reason is wrong and I don't say anything about you side with BSA since it is your decision so I just go on my own.

oh that. Is this from NJ? We had this exactly same case at NJ Supreme Court 10 years ago. The court ruled in Boy Scout's favor. I agree with its ruling. They don't allow atheists and agnostics either.

No it was here in Ohio. I agree the ruling too because they are not breaking any laws but seeing it happen and seeing how many people turned their backs on my friend was an eye opener for me. I had to keep my atheism hidden from them and realized that that could happen to me too so I just left.

You will say different if you were gay or bisexual, homophobia got on my strong reaction and not get along with any organizations whichever is homophobia, however any organizations are neutral with culture so that's fine with me and they will get my support, depends on what they are doing.

For BSA, they got none of my support and I don't care if you say that my reason is wrong and I don't say anything about you side with BSA since it is your decision so I just go on my own.

I would still say same if I were gay or bisexual. Like I said - your reasoning is wrong. why? here's an example - what you're demanding is like demanding the church to be atheist/agnostic-friendly and that the church should be able to appoint an atheist as Bishop or Pope :roll:

No it was here in Ohio. I agree the ruling too because they are not breaking any laws but seeing it happen and seeing how many people turned their backs on my friend was an eye opener for me. I had to keep my atheism hidden from them and realized that that could happen to me too so I just left.

why would you hide your atheism? You should not be in Boy Scout. You should be in an organization similar to Boy Scout that's in agreement with your belief (or doesn't care). It's like a Quaker in armed force, eh? :lol:

Back