My neighbor was robbed!

just to answer a question. my house has a monitored alarm system and when it was installed we were given the security decals for the windows and doors with windows, i think that is what Jiro is talking about. picture below:
(pic deleted due to size. will resize and repost)

cpi20sign20and20decals20007.jpg

*pic of CPI security decals*

no problem! to answer your questions -

1. see pix below about window security (2 ways)
ht_037055.jpg

it is usually ineffective because the robber can simply break the window and remove it. Which is why I was suggesting fake aluminum strip around the window. I'm trying to find it but I think they don't do it anymore.

I probably can find a wood one anyway. If you can find a picture of the aluminum strip, that would be helpful too.
2. about door jammer - yes you have to be home to use it. see pix below
p3724b.jpg

I'll be able to use that for my front door since the floor in front of it is kitchen floor, but not sure if it will be effective for the door leading to my patio since the floor in front of it is carpet, not sure if the ends will "stick" like rubber.

3. Safebox is not just for jewelry but for your important documents because it can be used for identity theft. Passport, checkbook, important document, etc.

Well, someone just gave me a cheaper idea of where to hide those things. I think it was PurpleCatty. Something about a secret space inside some of my furniture. I can think of one that has a secret space, and I can hide those things in there. I can't afford a safebox right now. I think they cost a lot at Walmart right now, especially if I want a fireproof one.

Dogs anyone? My dogs are the bombs. They protect the house and everyone in it. There's stuff around the house that could be stolen but not with the dogs around. They hear and bark at the drop of a hat no matter the time.

On the rare afternoon I need to nap? I take the younger one with me and whenever anything happens, she's a huge firecracker explosion! Even during the night, at 4 am? Yep.

Dogs anyone? My dogs are the bombs. They protect the house and everyone in it. There's stuff around the house that could be stolen but not with the dogs around. They hear and bark at the drop of a hat no matter the time.

On the rare afternoon I need to nap? I take the younger one with me and whenever anything happens, she's a huge firecracker explosion! Even during the night, at 4 am? Yep.

I cannot afford a dog right now.

Yea but dogs arent always a good idea. Depending on the kind of dog and how trained the dog is, the intruder can still kill the dog.

Such dogs as german shepards and dombermans (especially pitbulls) are a good breed of attack dogs, but they are pretty expensive.

Yea but dogs arent always a good idea. Depending on the kind of dog and how trained the dog is, the intruder can still kill the dog.

Such dogs as german shepards and dombermans (especially pitbulls) are a good breed of attack dogs, but they are pretty expensive.

regardless of breeds - all dogs are expensive to raise. they all require food + toys + routine medical checkups + pet security deposits (for those living at rental/apt). My condo's pet fee is $500 :mad2: but that was instituted few years after my family moved in

2. about door jammer - yes you have to be home to use it. see pix below
p3724b.jpg

Just one question...suppose you put the door jammer on the door that has a winder on it, and the robber breaks the window, and try to unlock the door...would he be able to move the door jammer away from the knob somehow?

Earlier today I came out of my apartment to look around (I like to come outside and look at what people are doing outside - there are construction people and other people around). My neighbor heard me come out and asked me to come in and asked me if I had seen any suspicious people or suspicious activity. (He pointed to his ears and then his eyes and then pointed to people/things/air in general to ask that question, and I can lipread a little bit). I said no. He then gestured me to come inside and he showed me the empty TV set (he is hearing and we didn't have paper and pen on hand at that point) and then showed me the broken glass on his patio door. I said "You've been robbed?!" (gesturing) He said, "Yes!" Apparently he had just gotten home when I came out of my apartment. It was about 5 pm. I had been sleeping for most of the day and then I was busy making phone calls. Then I came outside at 5 pm. Apparently the person who robbed him had climbed into his patio (there are fences on our patios), and then broke the glass (the door has glass panes in it) to get to the deadbolt on his door, and broke in, and took his TV. He was quite upset. Apparently it was an expensive big TV. I had him call 911, and the cops came. I also told him that he should inform the management office of the robbery. Unfortunately, I did not see or hear anything happen so I was unable to provide any suspect information to the cops. Fortunately, he has renter's insurance, so hopefully he will be compensated for the stolen TV and get a new one soon. I think it is going to suck to not have TV to watch. He is disabled, he is an amputee and gets around on crutches, and has a dog. I am surprised that the robber had the gall to break in with the dog there. It is a large dog, but maybe it's because the dog doesn't bark - I can hear large dogs, especially basset hounds, bark with my right ear (the non-implanted ear) - and I have never heard his dog bark ever. There is a sign on his patio door that says "Beware of dog" and the robber still has the gall to rob him! And in broad daylight!

I am very grateful that I was not robbed. From now on, I am going to start leaving the patio light on, as well as a lamp in the living room on all day and all night, so people will think I am home during the day and awake at night and not try to rob me. I may get a higher bill, but I would rather spend a little more each month than have my expensive shit get stolen. I also always keep my windows and patio door and the sliding doors completely covered so no one can look in and see what I have and "case" my apartment if they want to rob me. I frequently check all my locks in all 3 of my doors to make sure they are locked 24/7, and I also double check all the locks each night before I head to bed as well. I am a bit paranoid to start with, so I already check my locks frequently and have done so for a long time anyway. I do not have a dog and can't afford a dog right now. I have 3 cats and that is all I can afford right now. I would consider putting up a "beware of dog" sign but that did not stop the robber from robbing my neighbor, so that probably is pointless. I absolutely cannot afford to be robbed, as I am on a fixed income, and cannot replace expensive things if I have been robbed. I don't have renter's insurance because I didn't think I can afford it, but I think I will do some research and find out if there are any low-cost renter's insurance when I get up later. I live alone but I don't tell strangers where I live. I have two deadbolts on my front door, one with a keyhole, and one that is keyless. Then, there is a deadbolt on my patio door that also has a keyhole, but I think I am going to demand that the management replace it with a keyless one, if it makes any difference, or at least add a keyless one. But I am not sure it would make a difference at all. I also have a lock on my sliding doors to my patio too as well, with a bar across the sliding doors it to prevent anyone from opening the sliding doors if they were able to lock-pick the lock (without breaking the sliding door glass). I think I might ask the management to replace the door with a solid wood one, because it is a wood door with glass panes. But I doubt the management office will fulfill that request. That's how the robber got into my neighbor's apartment, through the same type of door. I cannot afford to move. And my fiance would move in with me, but he cannot afford to right now, and his grandfather was recently ill and was in the hospital last week, so he wants to stay home and keep an eye on his grandparents for a while. (Please do not suggest nursing homes as they do not need that, they are just old, and he was ill last week only because his blood pressure got too low and he passed out - they adjusted his blood pressure medication and he is perfectly fine now. They do quite well for their age and health conditions.)

Aside from what I have just said, does anyone any advice on how I can prevent a robbery or break-in? I am now worried that I will either get robbed while I am not home or someone will break in while I am sleeping, and rape or kill me. :cold: :Ohno: I live alone. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

When I was with my huband we had renter's insurance on the house we lived we only paid 25 a month

regardless of breeds - all dogs are expensive to raise. they all require food + toys + routine medical checkups + pet security deposits (for those living at rental/apt). My condo's pet fee is $500 :mad2: but that was instituted few years after my family moved in

routine medical... $145 for an exam and bloodwork and to update vaccinations a few weeks ago... PLUS the bloodwork revealed heartworm... $600 to treat it and they hospitalize her for 3 nights and thats not counting follow up visits.. so yea its costly to have a dog.

Just one question...suppose you put the door jammer on the door that has a winder on it, and the robber breaks the window, and try to unlock the door...would he be able to move the door jammer away from the knob somehow?

good question! My best guess - yes you can move it. That's why paranoid people get key-only deadbolt lock (on both sides).

oh btw - you wanna know what's a sucker? sprinkle the door jammer handle with broken glasses :mad2:

routine medical... $145 for an exam and bloodwork and to update vaccinations a few weeks ago... PLUS the bloodwork revealed heartwork... $600 to treat it and they hospitalize her for 3 nights and thats not counting follow up visits.. so yea its costly to have a dog.

:werd: indeed.. indeed.... I paid more than that because my dog had pneumonia or some kind of respiratory infection.

$500? :jaw: Ours was $300 with the old owners, but now it is $150 per pet. I just found out yesterday. But still, I already have cats so I cannot afford another $150 right now. I have vet bills to pay off, (monthly arrangements, thankfully) and then there are cat food and cat litter and toys and cat litter deodordizer. That all adds up. So, no dog for me right now.

I just found out today that the only pets allowed here are for assistance. Some chick came into the office today and the manager told her to get rid of her dog..the girl was like I thought it was okay since I see others..manager was like nope, and the lady was like even with a pet deposit..manager nope the only animals here are assistant animals..I guess mine is considered assistant animal

:werd: indeed.. indeed.... I paid more than that because my dog had pneumonia or some kind of respiratory infection.

Wow, is your dog doing better now? I hope so.

One of my cats had mammary tumors a few years ago, and I paid for the entire surgery and everything, and thankfully the vet was so nice enough to let me pay half up front and then pay the rest of the surgery costs on a monthly arrangement. It took me three years to pay off, but my cat was worth so much more than that and thankfully the surgery was a success and she is still here with me today. :) I think it cost me about $500 for everything, not including the blood tests needed to test her to see if she would tolerate the anesthesia for the surgery. That was about $200, too.

Wow, is your dog doing better now? I hope so.

One of my cats had mammary tumors a few years ago, and I paid for the entire surgery and everything, and thankfully the vet was so nice enough to let me pay half up front and then pay the rest of the surgery costs on a monthly arrangement. It took me three years to pay off, but my cat was worth so much more than that and thankfully the surgery was a success and she is still here with me today. :) I think it cost me about $500 for everything, not including the blood tests needed to test her to see if she would tolerate the anesthesia for the surgery. That was about $200, too.

yes my dog is perfectly fine. it was long time ago.

I just found out today that the only pets allowed here are for assistance. Some chick came into the office today and the manager told her to get rid of her dog..the girl was like I thought it was okay since I see others..manager was like nope, and the lady was like even with a pet deposit..manager nope the only animals here are assistant animals..I guess mine is considered assistant animal

Wow, thankfully my apartment complex allows both dogs and cats, but we have to pay a pet deposit. I'm surprised this chick did not think to ask the manager if pet dogs were permitted before she moved in.

I guess yours is considered an assistant dog because now there is a law that anyone with a disability can consider their dog to be assistant dogs, I think, and I guess your manager automatically thought that with you. Vampyrox would know about this, I think. Before, only licensed/certified dogs were considered to be assistant animals, but now almost anyone can say that their pet is an assistant animal.

btw - I know you're on fixed income but do you have a part-time job?

btw - I know you're on fixed income but do you have a part-time job?

No, I cannot work at all due to various disabilities including hip dysplasia which I was born with, and had two major surgeries to correct the birth deficit, as well as neurological problems, and I am losing the ability to walk for farther than two blocks and standing for more than 30 seconds to 1 minutes at a time, and a host of other problems. I am attempting to have my health problems taken taken care of before I before I go back to school and major in graphic design.

Back