My neighbor was robbed!

How about putting butter knives in the door? They seem to help some.

ncff07, I don't believe these dealers would sell stuff that police use to just anyone unless they have proof they are police officers.

Uh, how would I put butter knives in the door? They are not sharp enough for me to stab the door with them. Or are you talking about a different way? Either way, I wouldn't consider butter knives very effective.

Uh, how would I put butter knives in the door? They are not sharp enough for me to stab the door with them. Or are you talking about a different way? Either way, I wouldn't consider butter knives very effective.

I'm going to assume what ncff07 meant. You put the butter knife on top of doorknob and when the door knob is being turned by robber... the butter knife would drop and make noise. It would scare him away. Typically - you use the beer bottle for that.

but I don't know if ncff07 meant about that. :dunno:

I'm going to assume what ncff07 meant. You put the butter knife on top of doorknob and when the door knob is being turned by robber... the butter knife would drop and make noise. It would scare him away. Typically - you use the beer bottle for that.

Oh. I see. I wouldn't want to use a beer bottle for that though, cause if it drops, then I would have lots of sharp glass shards to deal with, and that would not be good with my cats if I am not awake yet til later to clean it up. Plus, I never wear shoes in the apartment, so if I miss a piece when cleaning up and later I step on a tiny piece of glass shard...:mad2:

I dunno if the butter knife would be very loud enough to scare the robber. I wonder if he might think that it was a kitty knocking something over, and enters anyway? I don't know. I would want something cheap that I can place on the door, so that when the door is opened, and I did not disarm it first, makes a very loud noise that scares the living shit out of the robber but is not from an alarm company like Honeywell (can't afford that). Just something that just simply makes a very loud noise when the door is opened, just to scare the robber away.

How about putting butter knives in the door? They seem to help some.

ncff07, I don't believe these dealers would sell stuff that police use to just anyone unless they have proof they are police officers.

i ddint say anything about butter knives. that was Brian. Jiro! lay off the juice man! lol

Oh. I see. I wouldn't want to use a beer bottle for that though, cause if it drops, then I would have lots of sharp glass shards to deal with, and that would not be good with my cats if I am not awake yet til later to clean it up. Plus, I never wear shoes in the apartment, so if I miss a piece when cleaning up and later I step on a tiny piece of glass shard...:mad2:

I dunno if the butter knife would be very loud enough to scare the robber. I wonder if he might think that it was a kitty knocking something over, and enters anyway? I don't know. I would want something cheap that I can place on the door, so that when the door is opened, and I did not disarm it first, makes a very loud noise that scares the living shit out of the robber but is not from an alarm company like Honeywell (can't afford that). Just something that just simply makes a very loud noise when the door is opened, just to scare the robber away.

I'm guessing butter knife is used to jam the door shut?? No idea. :dunno: The cheapest security device for door is the Door Jammer.... that's the best I can suggest for you.

I'm guessing butter knife is used to jam the door shut?? No idea. :dunno: The cheapest security device for door is the Door Jammer.... that's the best I can suggest for you.

Oh well. For now, I have a reclining chair pushed up against the door, so even if the robber breaks one of the glass panes and unlocks the door (it is a door with many glass panes like a window and it is in the living room), he will have a much harder time getting in because of the chair being in the way, and then he probably will think twice about robbing me because it would take longer to move the chair and get into the apartment because the chair is heavy and it would be harder with the door already in the way in front of the chair to begin with even unlocked and it would increase chances of him being seen by an eyewitness because he isn't quick enough to get in and out. Plus, it would probably make enough noises for the other neighbors to hear, and for me to feel, so I can turn on a light in my bedroom and scare the robber away with the light. Also, I have begun to leave the patio light and one living room lamp on 24/7 so the robber will think I am home and awake. I plan on buying the newer economical bulbs (forgot what they are called) for the patio and for the lamp this weekend so it won't cause a big electric bill for me. This is better than nothing for me right now.

I also have a lot of furniture and other crap in front of my sliding doors in my bedroom, so if he tries to get in that way, stuff will fall over (all are next to my bed) and he will attract attention and it would wake me up, and I would go at him with my baseball bat and chase him away.

What do you think?

Oh well. For now, I have a reclining chair pushed up against the door, so even if the robber breaks one of the glass panes and unlocks the door (it is a door with many glass panes like a window and it is in the living room), he will have a much harder time getting in because of the chair being in the way, and then he probably will think twice about robbing me because it would take longer to move the chair and get into the apartment because the chair is heavy and it would be harder with the door already in the way in front of the chair to begin with even unlocked and it would increase chances of him being seen by an eyewitness because he isn't quick enough to get in and out. Plus, it would probably make enough noises for the other neighbors to hear, and for me to feel, so I can turn on a light in my bedroom and scare the robber away with the light. Also, I have begun to leave the patio light and one living room lamp on 24/7 so the robber will think I am home and awake. I plan on buying the newer economical bulbs (forgot what they are called) for the patio and for the lamp this weekend so it won't cause a big electric bill for me. This is better than nothing for me right now.

I also have a lot of furniture and other crap in front of my sliding doors in my bedroom, so if he tries to get in that way, stuff will fall over (all are next to my bed) and he will attract attention and it would wake me up, and I would go at him with my baseball bat and chase him away.

What do you think?

that would work!

Lucia, sorry to hear that but I know how scary for you to live alone since you are female and that you are deaf, etc. Me, too. (I live alone in a big townhouse. 2,000 sq. ft.... ) A baseball bat is a good idea. Put it under your pillow or under your bed.
Lucia, if you have any questions, concerns, or whatever regards in this since my youngest brother who happens to be a detective.
PM me anytime. :hug: :)

Lucia, sorry to hear that but I know how scary for you to live alone since you are female and that you are deaf, etc. Me, too. (I live alone in a big townhouse. 2,000 sq. ft.... ) A baseball bat is a good idea. Put it under your pillow or under your bed.
Lucia, if you have any questions, concerns, or whatever regards in this since my youngest brother who happens to be a detective.
PM me anytime. :hug: :)

that would be uncomfortable to put it under your pillow :laugh2:

Best bet is to get a really mean dog that will scare the shit out of the robber. :giggle: Oh man, he ripped his trousers!

that would be uncomfortable to put it under your pillow :laugh2:

I'll put it on my bed next to me or on the floor next to the bed since my bed is a queen size bed and I sleep alone most of the time as my fiance does not live with me yet. I have the mattress and the box spring directly on the floor because otherwise the bed would be too high for me to climb onto as I am short and it hurts my hip to climb onto a high bed, and also my cats LOVE to play under the bed which makes a LOT of noises and drives me nuts and keeps me from sleeping. Putting the box spring directly on the floor eliminates that, and allows me to keep my sanity!

Most home robberies are done when the owners are not home.

So door jams and guns will not help if the person isn't home to begin with.

I was also robbed two years ago.

Sick feeling knowing my family was being scouted out.

Thank god the robbers did not find the gun.

We moved shortly after that and sold the house.

The new owners wasn't moved in yet and the house was broken into again. They took and stripped the house. Stove, fridge, they even took the central air unit and hot water heater. :shock:
I am so glad I do not live there anymore.

How about 2lbs Lead Ball or 2 inches diameter ball bearings. I have em' in my room.

Lead ball was actually a plumber's lead rolled into 2" ball which is a size of tennis ball and was lost by plumber who worked on
A/C compressor. My brother found it and he threw the lead ball to 1" thick plywood board, sure enuf it bore a hole on the board. I even lightly tossed the lead ball on his bed and it bounced and lodged itself into laminated wood wall which is 1/4" thick :eek2: So I didn't say anything to my dad and my brother had to hide the hole :rofl2:

Lead ball can break bones or put their "light out" easily. Best to do that in the dark where Theft can't see you. They're as dangerous as bat.

2" ballbearing ball can be found at heavy machine shop where they use as a roller. My friend gave me one and he is willing to give me as many as he can find at his workplace.

Catty

How about 2lbs Lead Ball or 2 inches diameter ball bearings. I have em' in my room.

Lead ball was actually a plumber's lead rolled into 2" ball which is a size of tennis ball and was lost by plumber who worked on
A/C compressor. My brother found it and he threw the lead ball to 1" thick plywood board, sure enuf it bore a hole on the board. I even lightly tossed the lead ball on his bed and it bounced and lodged itself into laminated wood wall which is 1/4" thick :eek2: So I didn't say anything to my dad and my brother had to hide the hole :rofl2:

Lead ball can break bones or put their "light out" easily. Best to do that in the dark where Theft can't see you. They're as dangerous as bat.

2" ballbearing ball can be found at heavy machine shop where they use as a roller. My friend gave me one and he is willing to give me as many as he can find at his workplace.

Catty

Yep, heavy small balls can break things because of the kinetic energy from a heavy ball doesn't stop it from going then goes thru thin things easily aka inhertia.

haha! here's a thing though - taser does not render a person long enough for you to tie him up. More like - 3-5 seconds. Taser is not designed to render the person unconscious. If it does - it would be illegal for any civilians to own. It simply makes your body muscle "stiff".. which is why the person falls to the ground like a statue. That is enough time for you to run away and get help.

You must never ever attempt to "detain" him in any way. If the person is very HIGH on hardcore drug... the taser would be basically nearly useless but it'll require at least 2 tasers on him.

Understand that taser is a very close-proximity combat tool.. meaning - if you have to user taser, it's because the robber is within couple feet away from you or he's on you and that's not what you want. There is a gun-version taser but it's about $400-$1000+. A typical taser (aka stun gun) is about $40+ (depending on design)

sw400_vi.jpg

zapdt_vi.jpg

So I don't know if you really want to be up close and personal to thug... that would be scary!

Gun-Version Stun Gun (about at least $400 or more)
cm18.jpg

Be extra careful if you got out of shower or in rain using taser or stun gun!! It'll knock u off with 40k to 60k volts!

Catty

Most home robberies are done when the owners are not home.

So door jams and guns will not help if the person isn't home to begin with.

I am aware of that. My main concern right now is IF a robber breaks in while I AM home. My life is worth more than the things I have in my apartment, and unfortunately, I cannot afford to move. So, the baseball bat and the reclining chair pushed against the glass pane door and the furniture in front of my sliding door will have to do for now...certainly better than nothing.

Yep, heavy small balls can break things because of the kinetic energy from a heavy ball doesn't stop it from going then goes thru thin things easily aka inhertia.

Yeah, It can easily punch through sheetrocks to another room :rofl:

Catty

A suggestion

I would want something cheap that I can place on the door, so that when the door is opened, and I did not disarm it first, makes a very loud noise that scares the living shit out of the robber but is not from an alarm company like Honeywell (can't afford that). Just something that just simply makes a very loud noise when the door is opened, just to scare the robber away.

You may want to go to Wally World or Academy and pick up an air horn. Mine was about $5. It's a small cylinder of compressed air with a horn on top. It wouldn't work against a thug with a gun or knife, but it's loud enough to get several neighbors' attention. I wouldn't want one going off 1-2' from my ear.

Back